1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Good news about Shaun McDonald

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Mar 12, 2007.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551

Now AJ wont be able to waste cap room on such an average player. It disgusts me how some people wanted him on our team, he wouldnt have helped us at all.:tdown:
    Lets get back to talking about the plethora of good WR's in the draft now.

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    :tup:

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yes! at least I know 1 person is on the same page as me.:icon_toast:

4. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Last thing we need is a #3/4 possession receiver .. We need somebody who can stretch the field and open more passing lanes.

:icon_toast:

5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    count me in too

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The thing is though. The chargers passing attack is a control the field and clock kind of passing attack. So they really want another possesion ball control pass reciever. Another good route runner. Which are the more expierenced smaller wr's usually. A younger mccardell clone is what they're looking for.

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I dont think you could be more wrong.
    I think we need a deep threat to strech the field for LT and Gates. I consider Jackson, Parker, and Floyd to be injury prone possession WR's. We dont need another.

8. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    This is true but I don't think it is by choice. I just don't think we have the options to throw those type of plays into the playbook.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Jackson averages 17.1 yards per catch for his career. And that makes him a possession receiver?

Here's are the career numbers of a few other "possession" receivers:
    Chad Johnson 14.9 Yards Per Catch
    Steve Smith 14.3 Yards Per Catch
    Torry Holt 15.0 Yards Per Catch
    Terrell Owens 14.7 Yards Per Catch
    Randy Moss 15.8 Yards Per Catch
    Santana Moss 16.2 Yards Per Catch
    Marvin Harrison 13.4 Yards Per Catch
    Reggie Wayne 14.0 Yards Per Catch
    Jerry Rice 14.8 Yards Per Catch

I'm not saying Jackson's the equal of any of these guys, but Jackson's problem has not been an inability to stretch the field. He's proven he's a very good deep target.

As for Jackson being injury prone, he played in all 16 games last year. How does that make him injury prone. Calling Jackson injury prone because of one year nursing an injury is about as valid as calling him Cal Ripken Jr. because of one year playing in all 16 games.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551

Im not saying "glass Jackson" wasnt good this year, Im saying he'll have to do more then just run deep every time as our #1 reciever. And im not sold on his toughness yet either.

Its nice you did your little research project, but Jackson only had 27 catches this year, his stats were inflated compared to guys like Chad Johnson.

As for Parker and Floyd, thats a risky basket to put all your eggs in. Wouldn't it be nice to have a guy like Meachem that could step in there if and when one of them gets hurt? And possibly earn a starting spot over them in preseason?

And to adress the safety issue, I think Clinton Hart should have been starting the last 2 years anyway, and I really like Sabby Piscatelli in the draft.

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Clinton Hart should get cut. No one has screwed up so many coverages as him over the past few seasons.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'd like to see Hart out there also. Makes you wonder, if all our safeties sucked ('cept McCree), wouldn't you at least want to put the one that makes a few plays here and there out on the field?

What plays did Kiel ever make? Jue is f'n gawdawful, I don't ever want to see him out there. Bad things seem to happen when Jue is on the field. W/ Hart, he may ge t burned, but at least he gets turnovers as well.

As for VJ, I still believe he's gonna be awesome when it all clicks for him, this season.

13. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I was happy we passed on McDonald too...and I hope we do the same with Curtis rather than overpay him. People forget that we had the #1 scoring offense in football with the same group we are bringing back next year...minus McCardell who contributed nothing anyway. Our offense is going to kick *** once again and if we get any kind of field stretching WR in the draft, look out.

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Floyd should be a good one as well if he can stay healthy.

Does make one wonder whats up with our safteys. We need a very good one back there besides mcree to solidfy the pass defense. I'm having to guess thats the plan.

Other than a very good saftey I'm guessing it will be wide open who they go with for the first pick.

We need one more early pick to get all the guys we need.

• Like Like x 1
  15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    First you want to say that Jackson's a possession receiver. Then you want to say all he does is run deep. Perhaps you've been smoking too much glass dick.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I said he'll have to do more then just run deep. Thats all he does it doesnt mean he's good at it.
    You said it yourself, he played all 16 games this year, yet he only had 27 catches?:icon_shrug:

17. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    I just re-read where he signed.. WTF is Detroit signing another WR!!!??? And, beyond that, how does Millen keep his f-in job!

18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    And he had 6 TDs. You said he was an oft-injured possession receiver. First, he's not a possession receiver, as his YPC prove. Second, he's had one significant injury in his career. That doesn't make him oft-injured.

You're 0 for 2. But if you want to keep making crap up because you are wide-eyed over some 4.2 running WR prospect, go right ahead. This true #1 Wide Receiver stuff is completely overblown.

19. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Who cares so long as Spanos doesn't hire him

20. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    True true .. it is just astounding is all.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    drrrrrr:unsure: HIS YPC WAS BLOWN UP DUE TO THE FACT THAT HE ONLY HAD 27 CATCHES DUMBASS! What do you not understand about that? Its like freaking batting average! Its like a pitcher hitting .500 everyone knows its a fluke!

Maybe he's not a possession WR per say, But then what kind of WR is he? And I agree with you that WR's are overrated, but its the only damn hole we have to fill other then SS. And a great WR could put our offense over the top.

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You should learn something about statistics before you say his YPC was blown up because he only had 27 catches. If he only had 5catches, you'd have a point. But 27 should give you a fairly accurate picture of the guy's ability. If the average starting receiver in this league has 60 catches, then 27 catches should tell you alot about Jackson's abilities. If a baseball player has 500 at-bats during the baseball season, then how he fares in 200 of them should tell you alot about how he will perform in his other 300.

If a pitcher goes 1 for 2, that's a fluke. If he goes 50 for 100, that shows he has some real ability. That doesn't mean the pitcher will forever bat .500, but VJ doesn't have to maintain 17 YPC to prove he's more than a possession receiver. Even if he averages 15 YPC, like the pedestrian Chad Johnson, he's not a possession receiver.

Thank you for admitting you were wrong by saying he's not a possession receiver. That's step 1. Now, you just have to admit you were wrong about him being oft-injured.

I never said WRs were overvalued. It's the concept of a "true #1 WR" that's overvalued. It's like a "franchise LT" or a "shutdown cornerback." Pundits insist that these are necessary components of championship teams, yet teams win the championship all the time without them.

I would love to see the Chargers add a WR, but I think Jackson is a Pro Bowl caliber WR. They just need another guy to compliment him.

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Wow. That "disgusts" you?

I don't think anyone wanted the guy as a #1 or #2 or anything like that.

24. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I did, I wanted to tailor our offense around him:helm1:

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    OK, you cant compare his stats head to head with guys like Johnson, Harrison, Smith etc..... because they hade almost 3 times as many receptions as he did, and they probably got only a small portion more game time. So lets just be fair about that.
    And sure he's not a possesion reciever, but he's not a great deep man either. So what kind of reciever is he? You still havnt clarified that.

I'm not completely sold on Jackson until I see him drag a 5'10 corner 20yds, and learn to make those toe touch catches in the endzone. I also have problem with him not using his full height to catch the ball. If he does that, he's a lock for probowl in 07'.

26. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I would pay to watch boltssbbound and matilack have a boxing match.

27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It probably wouldnt be fair, lol
    I'm 6'2 240 and baby you dont want none of this! LOL jp

28. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well I may be only 5'8 but I'm faster than lightning. :icon_rofl:

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I agree that VJ needs some refinement to his game. I don't know many 3rd year receivers that don't. As far as toe tapping, VJ has shown that he can do that. He just failed to do it in the playoffs, which for good reason, is all that anyone remembers. VJ can toe tap and has made some very nice sideline and endzone catches. He just misjudged where he was on a play that, along with about 7 or 8 others, cost us our season.

I think VJ is a T.O. type receiver, without the bad attitude. He has the ability to outmuscle smaller DBs for the ball and run by the bigger guys. Once he works on a couple of things, like catching the ball at its highest point consistently, I think VJ's game will be complete. I don't see alot of downside to this guy.