1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye to Klesko, Piazza

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Oct 30, 2006.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Padres decline options on Piazza, Klesko among several moves
    October 30, 2006

SAN DIEGO (Ticker) - The San Diego Padres on Monday declined their options on veterans Mike Piazza and Ryan Klesko for 2007, but picked up the options on Mike Cameron and
    :icon_banana: Russell Branyan:icon_banana: .

One of the greatest offensive catchers in baseball history, Piazza hit .283 with 22 homers and 68 RBI with the Padres this past season. He became the 41st player in major league history to reach 400 home runs on April 26 and is the all-time leader with 396 career home runs as a catcher.
    Klesko had been with San Diego since 2000, but was limited to just six games in 2006 due to a strained left shoulder. The infielder-outfielder was 3-for-4 in his limited action and is a .280 career hitter in parts of 15 major league seasons with the Atlanta Braves and the Padres.

Cameron hit .268 with 22 homers and 83 RBI in 141 games this past season. The center fielder led the team with 88 runs and 65 extra-base hits and ranked second with 25 stolen bases. In 12 major league seasons, Cameron owns a .252 average with 195 home runs and 708 RBI.

:icon_banana: Branyan:icon_banana: posted a .292 batting average with six homers and nine RBI in 27 games with San Diego in 2006. The veteran infielder was acquired in a trade with Tampa Bay on August 25 after hitting .201 with 12 homers and 27 RBI in 64 contests with the Devil Rays.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    That's disappointing to see Bochy go, now Klesko & Piazza. Maybe this will give an optortunity for some younger talent to shine. I sure hope Padres management has a plan.

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Geez, is Trevor gone as well??

Hadn't heard anything, but...:icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    piazza will be back in all likeliness
    klesko, thanks for the memories, all five of them :tdown:

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I still laugh out loud when I remember that everytime the 9ers need a stop on 3rd down, they'd always play Hell's Bells!!:icon_mrgreen: :lol: :icon_tease: :tup: :icon_rofl: :icon_banana: :icon_toast: :icon_party:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    that was one of my favorite memories
    BRING OUT HOFFMAN ON 3rd DOWN!
    GO TO THE BULLPEN! GET RIVERS OFF THE MOUND!:icon_rofl:

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Klesko won't be missed..at least not in terms of what he would be expected to give us would he have stayed.

I appreciate all he's done as a Padre, but it would not be worth keeping him.

Piazza....might not be gone. His option was 8 mil. It was a forgone conclusion that they would not pick it up.

The speculation has always been that they would not pick up Piazza's option, let him become a "free agent" and then sign him for something a bit more reasonable.

But who knows, we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I hope the Pads make a run for Zito as I do not want him in Yank-Me pinstripes :no: . He never missed a start in his seven years in Oakland.

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Geez, I thought the SoCal fires were burning acreage, not the Padres roster as well. :icon_eek:

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

yup

couldn't agree more.

:icon_toast:

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Klesko was 1/2 of the entire Padres offense for 3 years.

Nobody remembers this because those years were 2000-2002.

(He was pretty good in 2003 as well)