1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Goodell: Some teams to face blackouts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    ESPN.com news services
    September 1, 2009

ASHBURN, Va. -- Roger Goodell says it'll be a challenge for the Jacksonville Jaguars and some other clubs to avoid television blackouts this season.

The NFL commissioner visited the Washington Redskins players and coaches. Speaking about the Jaguars, who the Redskins play on the road Thursday in their final preseason game, Goodell said the club is "one of the markets where we're seeing some challenges from ticket sales coming into the 2009 season."

Goodell said the league has been working with clubs to find more creative ways to entice fans to the games during the economic downturn.

Goodell said he also had a meeting planned in Washington with NFLPA chief DeMaurice Smith.

The San Diego Chargers have also said its likely they will have home TV blackouts during the season, USA Today reported on Tuesday. At least 10 other teams could also face TV blackouts of home games, according to the report.

"People are having it tough down here," said Tim Connolly, the Jaguars' senior VP of business development, according to USA Today. "People are watching their dollars and they're being tighter than ever."

Chargers chief operating officer Jim Steeg, who said earlier this month that "blackouts are likely," said his organization will "think outside the box and pull out all the stops" to sell tickets, according to the report.

At least 12 teams, including the Redskins, Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots and New York Giants, have sold out stadiums for the season. Twenty-four of the league's 32 teams kept their 2009 ticket prices steady with last season, according to the report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4437452

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I will be SHOCKED if any regular season games are blacked out.

The first one that even has a chance is the KC game on November 29th. And that one only if we are 5-5 or worse.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Lower the ticket prices and suspend the local blackout rule. Anything less is arrogance, imo.

5. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14

Here's an idea, lower ticket prices ya greedy bastards. How about lifting the blackouts. I get real pissed when these guys come across as being all concerned for the common man when all their really trying to do is extract every penny they possibly can. (Note: I'm not in the area so blackouts don't affect me.)
    :tdown:
    Later

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Well then I want some money refunded for my season tickets!! :icon_evil:
    Or at least give season ticket holders free parking, credit for concession stands, or the Chargers store.

I agree with all you're saying but these who already purchased tickets should not be left out!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Agreed. Free parking and concession credit would be a ton of money for us plebes.

Later

8. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Hey Goodell!

How 'bout modify the blackout rule to allow the less advantaged to view the game? :icon_huh:

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    They are full of shyt. Its more than 75 miles in radius..............LA is further than 75 miles. My mothers house in OC is 76 miles from I5 and I8 intersection.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Was the Seahawks preseason blacked out in those areas?

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    But the LA market stretches to well within the 75 mile radius so the whole damn market is blacked out.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    No. B4L is right, then what happens to us season ticket holders who paid full price for our tickets? How is it fair I paid my $1800 ($90 a game) for my tickets and I'm sitting next to a dude who paid $50? It's not.

Buy a ticket and go to the game or STFU. It's really that simple. Expecting the league to change rules just so people can NOT spend money is really not the league's problem. Don't blame the economy because other teams had no trouble selling out all their games.

That said, unless we're talking a massive amount of tickets left over (as opposed to other years when only a few thousand remained), I expect the local businesses to pick up the tab so they can get their ads on the tube during the game.

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the 75 mile rule is a bunch of crap in this day and age.

maybe 25 years ago.

:tdown:

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    so, a family of four wants to go to a game

4 x 90 = $360

2 sodas, 2 beers, 4 dogs = ? $100?

parking?

I'm just guessing here but there may be more than a few people that can't pony up that kind of money.

so, unless a fan can come up with the money they should just STFU???

got it. It's a game for the well off. The rest of the people should stick to college and high school ball

:icon_huh:

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Yep. I have friends in Huntington Beach (served by LA's TV market) who couldn't watch the game.

If the broadcast signals overlap, which they do in the case of SD & LA, then the blackout is extended.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yeah, pretty much.

look, I think the rule is ******, but I also don't see why the NFL has to give anything away for free simply because people can't afford it. I struggle just like everyone else to afford my tickets, and I've had to make sacrifices just to pay for them.

My solution for blacked out games: PPV.

BTW, you don't have to buy **** @ the stadium. You are still allowed to take your own small cooler in, which is what my wife and I do. Put some food, a few bottles of water, and we're good. Anyone who pays $10 for a beer is a fool in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    This is my last year if the bolts don't help out, I'm hurting due to the economy, they have got full price from me for season tix 5 years and instead we get a 50 year pin and a thank you ALL LIP SERVICE, not a discount (oh that right the chargers store 10% NOT ON GAME DAYS) :tdown:

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no argument here about giving tickets away. And I know about the sacrifice (I own a boat). I have no problem with having to pay to go to the games. But why punish the fans that want (have) to watch the game on TV just because there aren't enough people willing/able to pay to go to the games?

ps. I don't remember being able to take a cooler into the Murph. But that was some years ago

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I have a small one, it basically can hold 4 soda cans. I've taken it several times w/ no prob.

And it's not "punishment". People need to get over that sense of entitlement. If I can't afford to go to a concert, should I get to see it for free on tv?

21. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Stadium seats are like airline seats; The plane is leaving if the seats are all full or not, so selling them for even $10 is more than they would have had otherwise. Next time you reserve an airline seat ahead of time, I promise you that 20% of the people around you paid alot less than you did because the airlines got what they could for them at the last minute.

But ultimately you are correct. Supply and demand rarely lies. If the stands are full, then the price must be right. If they are empty, they are not. Charger fans should STFU about the ticket prices, but the Chargers should STFU about having a 3/4 full stadium every game.

22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    excellent point.

but my argument is why should the fan that chooses to not go to the game suffer because the game doesn't sell out?

23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Because the NFL doesn't want to give you something for free that they can charge you for. It is, after all, a business, not a charity.

24. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

The NFL makes a ton of money off of television revenue. TV Networks don't want to broadcast games when the stadium is half empty. There are a lot of people who would rather sit at home with their giant flat screen and host a party, then pay the hundreds of dollars necessary to go to a football game. If there were no blackout rules, then I guarantee that very few stadiums would sell out at all, hence why they created the blackout rule to force people to go to the game if they want to watch their team.

That being said, concessions should be made given the economy. 7,000 empty, crappy seats at the Q wouldn't be noticed at all. Give folks a break, it's not like the Chargers have half the stadium empty like in '01.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Why must they "give folks a break"? I don't see car companies giving away cars because people can't afford them, I don't see lenders giving people free homes because people can't pay their mortgages. Why should the NFL give away free games that aren't selling enough tickets?

People need to stop blaming the economy for everything.

Would it be NICE if they did this? Yes. Will they? No.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    One more thing...

PROTIP: If you live in SD co and really want to see a game that's blacked out, DRIVE TO EL CENTRO. A tank of gas and maybe some money on food is all it will cost you.

27. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The NFL does not give one shiit about giving you anything. They don't make their money from ticket sales. They make it from TV revenue.

This. If the NFL had a fugging clue they would re-invent their policy. The owners need to drop the ticket prices and the NFL needs to let the rest of the fans go to pay-per-view.

The Direct TV contract is the golden egg. It's guaranteed money.

I live in Michigan, I would pay $5 16 times a year to watch my Bolts but NO !!! I have to buy the entire package!!!

The NFL doesn't have a clue as to how much money they could really make.

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The Chargers claim LA as a secondary market, so everything around there is blacked out as well.

29. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Picture is bleak for watching live tilts

NFL and its teams are TV challenged

By Jay Posner
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    8:00 p.m. September 1, 2009

As the Chargers Tuesday announced their second TV blackout of the season, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell admitted such local blackouts will be a challenge this season for the league.

“It's all part of the challenges that we're seeing in the economy, and what our clubs are going through,” Goodell said on a visit to the Washington Redskins. “Our clubs have been working hard in the offseason to create other ways to try to get people in the stadiums and to have policies that are a little more flexible, and hopefully they're going to pay dividends for us.”

One thing that will not change, though, is the NFL rule that requires a game to be sold out 72 hours in advance in order for a local telecast to occur.

Ed Goren, president of Fox Sports, one of the league's TV partners, said Tuesday he expected the league to make at least a minor change in its blackout rules, perhaps helping one team fill a stadium for one week during the season by donating a certain number of tickets to charity. But asked about Goren's comments, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said via email, “There is no discussion concerning changing the blackout policy.”

That's bad news for Chargers fans, who were unable to watch their team's first exhibition game last month on live TV and will face the same situation for Friday's exhibition finale against San Francisco. The team said about 7,000 tickets remain for that game.

Four weeks ago, Chief Operating Officer Jim Steeg said “thousands of tickets” were unsold for each home game. Tuesday, club spokesman Bill Johnston said there are still “a significant number of tickets available to all of our remaining games. We have sold the most tickets to the Philadelphia game (Nov. 15), but it is not close to selling out.”

The Chargers aren't alone in struggling to sell tickets in the midst of a weak economy that has resulted in double-digit unemployment rates in several states, including California. On Monday, Sports Business Journal said league owners recently were told there are “10 to 12 teams” that may not sell out every game.

Fewer than 5 percent of all NFL regular-season games have been blacked out over the past four seasons, with just nine of 256 games not aired locally last season. But there is little doubt that number will rise this season. The Jacksonville Jaguars already have said they do not expect any of their eight games to be televised locally.

“We anticipate ticket sales will be down low single digits this year,” McCarthy said. “We are sensitive to what our fans and business partners are enduring in these tough economic times. Three-quarters of the clubs froze ticket prices this season and have created more flexibility and options for fans to help them afford tickets.”

But there is little flexibility when it comes to blackouts, except that the NFL will continue allowing teams to request extensions to sell more tickets in the timespan from 24 to 72 hours before kickoff.

“The policy is important in supporting the ability of the clubs to sell tickets and keeping our games attractive as television programming with large crowds so we can keep all our games on free TV,” McCarthy said.

Sean McManus, president of CBS Sports and News, said Goodell was asked at a recent CBS football seminar about blackouts.

“Roger is not a believer in making an adjustment to a rule just because there's a short-term problem,” McManus said. “I think he believes long term that the blackout rule is good for the NFL and good for its partners and (he) probably isn't going to make any major adjustments this year.”

Retired broadcaster and Hall of Fame coach John Madden, speaking on the same conference call as McManus, said he believes the concern goes beyond blackouts.

“I think it's a concern with losing fans,” Madden said. “I know (about the) economy and that's part of it, but I think the NFL has to be concerned with . . . losing live fans. And I think they have to look at why that's happening and I think one way or another they have to fix it. It's not just about television and it's not just about ratings, it's about the game and the future of the game and why they are losing fans.”

30. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree with John Madden, the NFL should be concerned about losing "live fans". There is nothing that will substitute for being there live, but going once our twice a year, then watching the rest of the games at home on a wide screen tv, all the booze you can drink, and you don't have to drive...pretty good deal imo. Home theaters are a threat to live attendance at NFL games.

Unfortunately, I don’t live in San Diego anymore, and I don’t own a big screen tv…so it is internet radio for me.