1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Goodell wants Wi-Fi in every stadium for the fans

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 23, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Roger Goodell wants Wi-Fi in every stadium

The biggest threat to NFL stadium attendance is how awesome it is to watch games at home. In an effort to keep seats full at stadiums, NFL commissionerRoger Goodell wants to make the stadium experience more like the home experience by having Wi-Fi at every venue.

Goodell talked about that on Tuesday at the league meetings. Via Nate Davis at The Huddle, here's Goodell on enhancing the stadium experience:

"We believe that it is important to get technology into our stadiums. We have made the point repeatedly that the experience at home is outstanding, and we have to compete with that in some fashion by making sure that we create the same kind of environment in our stadiums." [...]

"We want [fans] to have access to the same information. Have access to our Red Zone, have access to highlights, be able to engage in social media, including fantasy football. When you come to our stadium we want to make it a great experience."

He's right; every stadium should have Wi-Fi available to fans. But not because it's going to replicate what it's like to watch a game at home ‒ that's impossible ‒ but because it's 2012 and so few of us are Luddites.​

I think the commissioner is going the wrong way on this one. You're not going to compete with my living room by trying to be like my living room. You can't give me a couch, a remote, a laptop, a box of Cheez-Its, reasonably priced alcohol and the ability to curse freely from time to time. So don't try.

What the stadium experience offers is that it's not like home. You share your stadium experience with 70,000 like-minded people. You chant together, you cheer together, you feel a part of a community. You hug and high-five strangers. That's what the stadium gives you.

Believe me, If I want it bad enough, I'll find a way to get a fantasy update. If the stadium experience is right, however, I'll be perfectly content to worry about my fantasy team when I get home.

You want more, better-trained, friendlier ushers. You want more security and stadium staff nearby. You want unpleasant and disruptive fans kept away from kids and families. You want well-monitored, safe, fun tailgating areas and activities before and after the game.

Of course, there's one issue that trumps everything, but it won't be changed, so I don't know if it's even worth mentioning ‒ money. If tickets weren't so expensive, if parking wasn't $50, if a Diet Coke wasn't $6, and there weren't so many TV timeouts allowing the league to rake in additional money, then the stadium experience would be far more attractive. But none of those things will be changing.

But there is still plenty of room to give fans a better gameday experience, especially considering how much it costs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Here's an idea: Not only install high speed wi-fi in all stadiums but give all ticket holders access to an exclusive in-stadium content stream that is tailored towards enhancing the action you see from your seat.

• Like Like x 4
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'd settle for better 3G/4G service during the game, my battery routinely got drained to nothing trying to update twitter

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I didn't read "Free Wi-Fi" anywhere in that article. I'm sure they'll be able to call it "Free" as
    soon as they bump up ticket prices a couple of bucks to not only get even, but to get ahead.

Vultures.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Roger Goodell wants Wi-Fi in every stadium

And someone wants heated toilet paper so they can wipe their *** in comfort...

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    THIS x infinity

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Blame AT&T for that. I switched back to Verizon when the iPhone 4s came out. Hopefully that works in my favor. Folks who sit around me didn't have problem getting a signal and they all had Verizon.

As for WIFI, I'd take it. Petco is supposed to be getting full coverage WIFI sometime this season.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Why stop there? ;)

[​IMG]

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Here's a thought: leave your phone in the car and watch the game. People have an overinflated opinion of how important they are, how they MUST be able to be reached at all times. You would think people were helping land planes or walking someone through open heart surgery. Just let that call go to voicemail and call them back later, you're at a game. Almost every call you get can probably wait until later.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That's the brilliance of Jerry's World...... you go to the game, but you still have to watch it on a big screen TV. :D

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    I like it, Savage. When I was young and broke, I ran across Thoreau's
    "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."

Now that I'm neither young nor broke, I live largely by this: friends, family, the secretary, all know
    that I am not reachable via cell (admittedly, I spend much of my time where Verizon doesn't reach...but still...)
    I don't put down people who seem to need to have a phone on them at all times...I'm just delighted that I don't.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Ahhh dude, that is what I miss about Japan. Love the feeling of a nice clean ***

13. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I'm just a cranky old man, and I am pretty much over cell phones. I have one, it's handy, but it doesn't rule my life. I don't have to be texting someone at all times, checking e-mail etc. I recently saw four people sitting together at a restaurant and all four of them were screwing with their phones. And I really don't need to listen to everyone's mundane conversations while I stand in line at the bank. It's just gotten beyond stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    As a Support Engineer at Qualcomm, I can't be over cell phones. They pay my bills

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm sure you'll be just fine w/o a few old farts like SL & myself not gluing ourselves to a wireless device. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    lol - but what if they come up with an app that will automatically yell at kids, "get off my lawn!" even when you're not home? :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Won't bother me one bit

18. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I like the heated toilet paper idea.

19. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I live in them mountains, I don't have a lawn.:)

20. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    And what the f_ck is up with texting? Two people will text each other back and forth a sh_tload of texts over a period of time. If only each of them had some form of device where they could could just connect and talk to each other, seems like it would be so much easier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    LMAO, the Q can't even get a decent CC tv system. What's the bandwidth needed to have 70,000+ people on wifi in such a compact space even like? I know whenever I've been to places that have wifi support it's pretty much awful over 15,000.

Anyways, yeah, I do a lot of business on my phone and it's really convenient to not be sitting at my desk.

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    My childhood buddy, Alex Bell, used to say the same thing...shame that never got solved...

(though, to be fair, some rare situations may call for it: you have a [truly] urgent message
    to send someone, but you're in the audience of your kid's 3rd grade production of Equus...)

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    A 3rd grade production of Equus?!?!? :eek:

Damn, Lance...... you're one twisted bastage. What was the follow-up....... Titus Andronicus? :roflmao:

24. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I get that, it's the 50 texts back and forth thing that I just don't understand.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I never understood the text thing until I got a new plan with it included. I use it mainly when I want to convey a message but not get caught up in a phone convo. So yeah - after 3-4 texts back & forth max it's outlived my original intent.

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You mean a play by play on the drunks fighting two rows in front of you? Perhaps a score like in boxing provided as the cops take them away?

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I want updated alerts letting me know what sections the fights are happening in.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    ...and I want to know the race of each section combatant, so that I may wager accordingly!

(still honing my political correctness skills!)

• Like Like x 2
  29. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    I have a very simplistic view on the matter.

Need to talk on a phone while at the game ?..............stay the FARK home, end of conversion so to speak. :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well now we see who is Mr. Cranky-Pants today... ;)