1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Goodman and Windt retained

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Chargers to retain two special teamers
    Written by
    Michael Gehlken

Two core special teams players will return to the Chargers next season, as expected.
    The team has informed kick returner Richard Goodman and long snapper Mike Windt they will be retained as exclusive-rights free agents.

Goodman, after a rookie year spent largely on the practice squad, averaged 27.5 yards per kick return in 2011. He posted his best marks down the stretch with 30.8 yards over the final nine games and a 105-yard touchdown in the season finale.

Goodman also assisted in special teams coverage, registering five tackles.

NorthStar Sports Representation released a statement on behalf of its client.

“Richard is excited about the organization and its future direction,” it read. “He is looking forward to helping the Chargers win any way he can in 2012.”

Windt was the Chargers' fifth long snapper employed during an injury-riddled 2010 campaign. He stabilized the position, playing the final 11 games, and then won a training camp battle in August with 17-year Chargers veteran David Binn.

Goodman and Windt are scheduled to become restricted free agents in 2013.

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Goodman news.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I like Windt, not Goodman

• Like Like x 1
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Great... 3 yards better his last nine games. The dude had one TD and everyone forgets how bad he is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    You do realize that a 27.5 yard return average is pretty decent, don't you? To say he's "bad" as a returner is flat out wrong.

Goodman ranked #4 in kick return average last season..... despite only taking one to the house. Funny thing, nobody else had more than one kick return for a TD in the league.

• Like Like x 2
  6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He was horrendous when it counted most.

And given how many players are taking it out of the endzone these days 27.5 is not that great.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    LOL..... when you can't refute the stats, you come up with that BS. :rolleyes:

You do realize that changing the kickoff spot made long returns much more difficult last season, don't you?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Goodman was #4 in the league.......... that means among ALL NFL kick returners. Explain again how that average isn't that great.

Seriously, you're not making a lick of sense. We all know our special teams unit was nothing special...... heck, they were the worst in the NFL the year before. Frankly, that makes Goodman's average look better, not worse.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    And when you don't actually watch the games you resort to retarded statistics that don't actually mean anything. Goodman runs the with his eyes closed leaves yardage on the field, he gets leveled every other time he touches the ball. He dances too much, he runs backward at times, he picks the ball up when its bouncing out of bounds, its a damn miricle he didn't lose any of those fumbles this year etc... he is a stupid football player, and he is too inconsistant.

Oh and by the way, the difference between #4 and #15 is something like 2 yards....big ****** deal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Face it, you can't get your head around the fact that Goodman was ranked #4 in the NFL among kick returners. You want him to be terrible, but he isn't. Guess what, you're not the only fan that watches all the games. :rolleyes:

You can't explain away his stats because we had the best special teams unit in the league, we didn't. They didn't suddenly go from worst to first in a year. They were average as a unit...... Goodman wasn't the problem.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Read the rest of what I said ....

And yes, Goodman is absolutely part of the problem 1 big return at the end of the season didn't change that.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
  13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Devin Thomas was ranked 15th, averaged 24.3 YPR. 3 yards difference? You're basing your entire argument that Goodman is 3yds better than someone like Devin Thomas? What little respect I have for you is evaporating quickly.

BTW Leon Washington and Josh Cribbs are not even in the top 10....what does that tell you about your stupid ranking?

14. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    You're both idiots. I'm smarter than both of you combined.
    That being said, Goodman was an average kick returner last year.
    I watched all the games. There were chances where he missed breaking long
    returns by a few inches. He has speed, he does look a little hesitant at times,
    but that could just be me being subjective (highly likely since I don't see the field
    at the angle he does).
    Carry on.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    It's not my "stupid ranking" its the stats, plain and simple. You don't like it, tough.

You've done nothing to earn my respect, your arguments are filled with faulty logic, and your manner is boorish and infantile.

Did I claim that Goodman was the best return man in the league? Nope, nothing of the sort. He still has plenty to learn, but he doesn't "dance" around, as you said. Far from it, he takes the ball and heads upfield. Goodman still needs to learn better hole recognition and isn't a shifty runner, but he's fast and can hit the seam to full speed. With better blocking upfront, he could have more long returns.

And if those other return guys are so much better than Goodman, then why didn't they get more than 1 TD return? Face it, with the new rules, the kick return game has changed significantly. We won't see the number of long returns and TDs that we saw in the past.

• Like Like x 2
  16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    And as usual the stats you cherry pick are incredibly misleading. Take away the 105yd return (in the meaningless game) and his average was 25.18 YPR. Thats more than 2 yards off his entire average for the year. And again I remind you.....a lot of best kick returners in the game last year aren't even in the top 10 of this insignificant statistic. (Hester only averaged 21.9)

Bottom line is week 1-14 Goodman's horrendous returning was a common topic on the game day thread. Weeks 15-17 arn't going to change the opinion of a competant football fan.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    For some reason, you think your opinion cares special weight...... it doesn't. It's just your opinion, nothing more.

The return average for the season is not a "cherry picked" stat..... that charge is straight up laughable. The "meaningless game" comment was a hoot..... where do you come up with this stuff? To take away runs to justify your opinion of Goodman is the worst kind of logic. As I said, nobody got more than 1 TD return this past season. If you take that one TD run away from any of those players, it would skew their stats.

A kick returner's average will be effected by both the quality of his own special teams unit, and the opponents he faces. The Chargers had the worst special teams unit in the league the year prior...... not just in the league, but the history of the league. It may've improved last year, but it was still very average overall.

If Goodman was as terrible as you seem to suggest, there's no way he could've gotten the #4 ranking in return average. Try as you might to explain it away, the stat stands.

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    My opinion carries common sense, your opinon is more like a fantasy football nut who follows box scores.

And I'm sorry but any kick return stat where Devin Hester isn't in the top 20 I have a tendency to disregard....call me crazy. If your argument is that Richard Goodman is a better returner than Devin Hester, then we're done here and I may as well put you on ignore.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Should Devin Hester earn a higher ranking based on reputation? This isn't the Pro Bowl. The facts is, Hester didn't have a great year....... who's fault is that?

Hester had one less attempt than Goodman, but he gained 213 less yards. That's not a tiny difference. Past performance is meaningless, this isn't a subjective measure, it's a performance based stat....... get it?

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    AND YET just 2 more big returns and he could have easily been in the top 5 correct?;) Just 2. Or maybe Goodman trips on his big return and he falls out of the top 10 like Leon Washington?

You know I never expect people to admit they're wrong, its just not a common thing on a message board. But I'm gonna tell you flat out anyway that you are wrong, the stat is bullshit, I ripped it apart with simple mathematics and common sense and you know it.

....moving on!

21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    I'm not a stat guy, and I don't know if the one I'm thinking about is actually tracked. But to me, one of the most important things you need to look at regarding kickoff returns is average starting position. Now, obivously starting position last season was seriously skewed once kickoffs were moved. But, a 105 yard return is pretty damn impressive. Is it enough to keep Goodman? Well, who else are you going to pick to do returns? Waters? Hell, in watching games last year it looked like many teams just simply gave up on the idea of returning kicks. Can't say as I blame them.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Ifs and buts aren't stats, but nice try. :D

You proved nothing to me...... but it's best you move on.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I can barely contain my excitement.

[​IMG]

24. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    If the special teams unit continues to improve its blocking I think some Goodman has some great returns coming. To me it seemed he was becoming more decisive on his returns and he has plenty of speed sure hope he continues to improve. Some of you expect so much so soon; some things take time... patience grasshoppers!

• Like Like x 2