1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Goodman earns Special Teams Players of the Week

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Rice, Polamalu and Goodman win AFC honors for Week 17
    Posted by Josh Alper on January 4, 2012, 4:57 PM EST

[​IMG]
    Getty Images

The final week of the regular season was a good one for Ray Rice, Troy Polamalu and Richard Goodman.

Rice, the AFC Offensive Player of the Week, ran for 191 yards and two touchdowns for the Ravens in their 24-16 win over the Bengals. The victory clinched the AFC North, their first division title since 2006 and a first-round bye for the Ravens. Rice set a regular season career-best with a 71-yard touchdown run in the first quarter and added a 51-yard score in the fourth.

Polamalu spearheaded a strong defensive effort by the Steelers in their 13-9 win against the Browns. The Steelers allowed the Browns just 240 yards of offense on the day and Polamalu had an interception of Seneca Wallace. He’s the first Steeler to be named Defensive Player of the Week this season.

Goodman’s name is likely less familiar to football observers, but he earned Special Teams Player of the Week honors with the longest kickoff return in Chargers history. Goodman took a kick back 105 yards for a touchdown to help the Chargers beat the Raiders 38-26, spoiling the Raiders’ chances of winning the AFC West in the process. Goodman’s kickoff return was the third-longest in the AFC this year and topped Darren Sproles‘ previous Chargers record of 103 yards.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    I ragged on the guy ALL year.

Kept saying to my buddies: "This guy must be tearing it up in practice,
    beause the coaches keep giving him more chances...though he's never
    even close to breaking one, and often doesn't get back to the 20!!
    I'd have benched him by Week 4."

Glad to eat my words. :)
    (though I do think the blocking was superb)

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    The guy has made one play all year. Do that when the games still mean something.

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    What?........ Goodman helped save Norv's job....... doesn't that mean something? ;)

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    It was our first kickoff return for a TD since 2008 (Sproles vs. Denver in the Hoculi game). Don't care when it happens. 105 yards is pretty damn impressive.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    What I find amusing is that the Chargers regular season started with a kickoff returned for a touchdown against them, and ended the Raydurs season with a returned kickoff for a touchdown by Goodman. Payback or providence?

fascinating-spock-a.gif

7. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Nice observation & BTW I like the Goodman kid

8. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Yeah, aside from the Natty Dread look, I just knew he would make a good run. Not only that, he is a gunner on special teams and used on kickoffs and punting units. He is the modern day Osgood for this team. I just hope he gets a chance to catch a ball as a receiver, he has better hands than Kassim.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152

As does Stephen Hawking.

[p.s. Apologizing in advance: Yes, Mom...I do know better]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    But not Quentin Jammer. ;)

11. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    pretty much this. he's got great speed with limited vision. We've been needing a return man almost as long as a strong safety. Nice return, yeah yeah yeah but I'd still like to see someone else returning kicks next season, he's a waste of a roster spot in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^What about letting Goodman and Boonah battle it out in camp?

13. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    For F's sake people! He returns one kick and he is the next coming of Devin Hester?! The guy hasn't done crap all season. He returns the ball to the 20 or less. His average is 27 yards because he is always 7 yards deep when he returns the dang ball.

http://www.nfl.com/player/richardgoodman/2508022/careerstats

KICK RETURN

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dayum Corona... Are you concerned someone might actually find something to enjoy from the last season? :roflmao:

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Me too

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Who's crowning him as Hester? You seem to be the only one doing that.

Don't care who returns the damn ball, but like I said, 105 yards is damn impressive. It wasn't lucky or cheap.

17. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    Finally 17 weeks too late, btw, I think 17 yards is his average run outta the end zone!

18. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    So you all want to dump Goodman and not wait another year to see if he develops? I learned that one when I hated on Jammer for his first season & a half. not every pick is a pro bowler in his first run with a team. Damn I still like what I see I think he has potential

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    The moral of the story is that if you take the ball out of the end zone (3-5-9yds deep who cares) sooner or later it'll work out. No matter how many times you have to give the team bad field position

But still he had a great game and deserved this award

20. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    just be happy the guy made a spectacular play- no one is saying that he is the next devin hester.

21. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I'd give him another shot, he did break out 3 40+ returns including his 105 yarder.. thats pretty good and he didn't fumble so.. give him another shot see what happens, atleast he took one back..

22. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Give him another shot. Maybe this is where the light finally comes on. Good on him for winning the award!

Honestly, we have more urgent issues to attend to than the return game.

23. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I just don't know why some people are bashing him.. Its pretty impressive when you take one back 105 yards especially since they moved 5-10 yards closer to the opposing teams end zone for kick offs, so to get a TD now, in todays system is pretty impressive.. you don't see kick off returns taken back 100 + every weekend in the NFL.. give him another shot but it was also a great team effort, Bissacia has done a tremendous job with the Special Teams unit since last year..