1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gordon next season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 16, 2015.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    If McCoy is gone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    I could only make it halfway through. So depressing to see how Gordon was so talented at Wisconsin and now all of a sudden he's not. Doesn't help that he requests to go to the sideline after every successful run play, and that he refuses to take the field in short and goal situations. But at least Gordon's doing his part to help carry forward Frank Reich and Mike McCoy's "running-back-by committee" (RBBC) approach.
    Why, based on nothing more than the tremendous success of the Charger's 2015 RBBC, most pundits believe Reich and McCoy will be the first NFL coaches ever to be inducted into the HOF while they're still coaching. There also this leaked artist's rendering concerning a redesigned Super Bowl trophy, called The McLombari.

McLombardi.JPG

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  3. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I am the first to admit that I drank the Gordon Koolaid based on his video highlights and I was foolish enough to believe that drafting him was like having a RB/FB tandem as he appeared to be very elusive as if he opened up his own running lanes. I also really thought that we got a steal as Gordon would be more suitable to the NFL and then sadly the bitter NFL reality set in :(

The guy demonstrates very little power to overpower the first tackler(s), although he seem to be better once he gets going. I have no doubt that his fumbling issues, McCoy's development of Gordon or there lack of have placed a monumental mental block in this kid's head. I think that it all went downhill during that game at the Packers'.

All that said, I no longer believe that Gordon will be a superstar in this league and the FO overpaid dearly for him. From what I gather, Gordon does not have the superstar's work and workout ethics. No LT in this kid!

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    ^That's the key part though. That he is still young and can be groomed to be a successful running back.

He's actually started to make better use of his carries lately and seeing holes open up. Imo we need a better FB than RB.

5. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Johnny X, I had recently stated that should the Chargers leave town, I will also leave them as a follower and a supporter. With that scenario now looking more and more like becoming a stark reality, it will leave me neutral in the development and progress of Gordon. At the outset of the season I was particularly very excited about two young players, Verrett and Gordon.

I think that if Verrett remains healthy, he will be a star in the defensive backfield. I can not say that with certainty about Gordon though. I wish him well though and hope that he performs up to the billing for those Chargers fans who will stay with the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Well put.

Being a remote fan, I will continue to follow the Chargers in LA or wherever else barring any rebranding (see Titans, Tennessee and Oilers, Houston). If that occurs, then I could not care any less what any of them do, much as it pains me to say it.

7. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Just imagine how well Gordon would have done playing "Marty Ball"!!

We need to get back to power-football. We need to draft or acquire a quality FA Fullback and add some serious BEEF to the O-Line and lets just POWER RUN baby!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    You're saying that if McCoy is fired...Melvin is going to start an SD (Sadiki Thirston) tribute band and be a rapper?

• Like Like x 1
  9. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    Exactly!

10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Gordon does not need a FB to be successful, so just stop it. In college, he didn't have much to do before the line of scrimmage, like patiently waiting for the hole to develop, it was always there for him at Wisconsin. Even if it wasn't there, he'd use his superior athleticism against his peers, which worked in college, but the NFL is a different ball game.

Unfortunately, the high expectations that were made of this offensive line heading into 2015, have failed us all, including Gordon. He has become very impatient, and when he gets a hole, he has missed it. His vision has been Trent Richardson-esque. It's a totally different game for him right now, and he badly needs this off season to regroup and watch some film on himself.

If I'm apart of the next coaching staff coming in, I'm building this offense around Gordon. Rivers and Allen will always produce, but you need a run game and you need Gordon to get going.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
  12. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    You are failing to realize that there are little to no holes for him to hit. Patience or not, the line of scrimmage is always being reset 2 yards from its starting point. In addition the personnel we have doesnt fit this retarded run scheme that we use. When Gordon does get decent movement upfront, he has made people miss or fought thru tackles. Im not saying he has been great and it would be nice if he could make more out of the nothing he has been given up front, but he usually at least gets back to the line or positive yards on plays we should have net negative yards. Just look at the KC game, how many missed blocking assignments did we have. And not just the usual ppl getting manhandled at the LOS but str8 up negligence at even attempting to block the defender.

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    The difference between Wisconsin and the Chargers? The Chargers do not have a NFL caliber Offensive Line. Wisconsin did. That's a pretty bad state when a College team has a better line then an NFL team.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    I know I failed to say that in my post, but I know this offensive line has been bad, but there have been instances, if you read the article above, where he has gotten a hole and has failed to hit it because of his indecisiveness and him being impatient.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    The O-line has sucked all season. Only Barry Sanders could have done anything
    running behind a line like the one in SD right now. Even then, he'd be hard pressed.

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I know I'm not the only one to have notice (though mati hasn't posted in the thread yet, I'm fairly certain he'll have seen it too) that there's another something that stands out in that video:

Of the first 4 runs highlighted:
    - Off-tackle
    - Weakside-counter that he cut inside to the B-Gap because of a hole that opened up (not sure if by design or not, I'd have to see tape of a couple more times of Wisconsin running that play)
    - Off-Guard
    - Off-Tackle

Note that there are no A-Gap Draw runs or B-Gap Dive plays...

Reich and McCoy have been calling Gordon's running plays like they'd drafted Todd Gurley (or like they had Thurman Thomas) rather than with a mindful eye towards the player the actually have. Fit the blocking scheme and the play-calling better to the strengths of the player and... wait for it... you'll probably see the player be a lot more successful. It's no real surprise that Gordon's biggest gains of the season have come on designed screens which allow him to get outside and use his blockers to set-up where he goes next

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I think what you also notice is that he really picks up steam once he gets in stride, that's when you see the kid can be a big play threat, but he needs a fair bit of space to do so.

He isn't someone that will over-power someone inside, or really pick up tough yards, or necessarily make a tackler miss in the backfield, but once he gets rolling he can certainly make tacklers miss upfield.

18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Kid has to stop dancing when he is handed the rock. He is trying too hard thinking his way through the defenders, while his feet are doing the Icky shuffle before he approaches the LOS.

19. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    FU McCoy. Had a chance to get the rookie his first TD when they were on the 2. Gave the run to Woodhead instead.

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    And the kid gets injured and taken out of the game. Has anyone heard or seen a report about his injuries?

21. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    Nothing yet Pointy. Bet he could have went back in.

22. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ From my angle of view, it was hard to tell exactly what happened. It's just not a good sight when your #1 draft pick is laying on the ground for a while.

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Amen.

Who would have ever thought that giving a TD to a fan-favorite like Woodhead, :)
    when you've struggled to score the last few games, and struggled to win all season...

could be a play that makes Charger fans angry?!? :mad:
    Only McCoy/Reich could turn a TD into a negative... :eek:

And now it's set in stone that Gordon will not get a TD his rookie season. Damn!

24. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    in green font dammit, green font! :mad:

25. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    And Woodhead got the TD for us immediately. I guess McCoy thinks that indecisiveness at the RB position and goal line running situations do not mix very well. And he's probably right about that.