1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Grade our draft...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Apr 26, 2009.

?

Grade the Chargers Draft

1. A

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. B

33 vote(s)
    54.1%
  3. C

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. D

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    How did AJ & company do?

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    A

AJ added some SERIOUS toughness to this team on both sides of the ball, and that has been sorely missed the past couple of season

3. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    i said B only because Im waiting to see whether this "nastyness" can filter through to our team

if it does then woah yeah we're gonna rock it up:bolt:

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I gave it a C. I think it could go either way. Only time will tell.

5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Grade A. We at least tried to address our biggest needs. Got nasty, no-nonsense physical players and freakish athletes. We weren't afraid to take gambles. Got great value at the end of the draft....even with the Byrd pick in round 7 who was well worth taking the chance on.

I'm a known AJ critic on these boards and I've been saying that he's been getting too full of himself an losing his edge but he gets big props from me for this draft. To me, this draft was back to basics and I love the group of players we are bringing in. I've been screaming for the beef for years an we finally delivered. Every one of those picks has a good chance to contribute at some point.

Now...Let's go get a DE or RT out of the remaining FA group to really solidify this team.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'll tell you in 3 years.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Agree with Alex but for ****s and giggles

B

Love the fact everyone's tough as nails, like the OL help and the Canadian prospect could be one hell of a find. Need alot of time to figure this draft out

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    QFT. I'll assess a grade in 2012.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    C.

Theres something to be said for high motor, high character players. But I'm not convinced we drafted to our biggest needs, or got the best talent available. An OLB, 2 OG's, a CB, another Jacob Hester type RB, and a WR that was in a severe car crash!!!

10. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I gave it a B, I thought the CB selection was not necesary and we should of drafted a S earlier but..

I trust AJ.

:tup:

Larry English is a beast.

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    A.

We addressed one of our biggest needs, improving the pass rush. We got some quality nasty beef, we got a raw potential stud NT, and a safety that can lay the wood. Plus we didn't waste a pick on a limited "football player". AJ took some risks, like he did in his earlier drafts and I'm happy he did.

Nasty is the key theme in this draft, and that was sorely missing.

12. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    What BR said

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Come down off your high know it all horse, if you even really know how to ride one. If any of these guys can live up to their pat it will be an immediate improvement over what we have been watching.

Don't forget to wipe real good, cause your own nose will be back in it's favorite sleeping place soon.:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

14. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    This demetrius byrd dude is pretty good.

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Based on filling needs and adding some mean nasty mfkers to the team, it gets an A for the execution.

Time will tell in the end.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'd like to change my vote to a solid B-.

Pros- AJ definantly wen't with the nasty today. Picking high energy high character players, which is something I lead the way in accusing the Chargers of lacking last year.....heart.

Cons- I would be shocked if this Johnson guy even makes the opening day practice squad. AJ passed on some great talent (which of course will be forgotten in time) to pick guys who were a little less talented, didn't fill the exact roles we needed, bu had higher character.

Time will tell if AJ is brilliant or nuts.

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Demetrius Byrd
    I really like the value of this pick. If he can get some playing time and help us on 3rd downs it will be a steal!

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

This post was given it's own thread.

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18086

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well that's BS, cause that post involved the draft.
    You had to pull your typical BS again. You're a lousy mod!

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The report on him is that he's absoluely EXPLOSIVE off the line, has great deep speed, has long arms and good hands, and is fearless making catches.

What concerns me is not only the injury from the car wreck, but his character is on full blast. They say he doesn't love the game, and has horrible work ethic.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The late picks are most impressive, judging by footage.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I would be surprised if we drafted someone who has a lot of character issues. Or at least I hope we didnt.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    English - B-
    I get it, but unless he goes out and does it, I'm not happy with it

Vasquez - B+
    If the RT is set then RG was needed and he's a beast

Martin - INC
    REALLY can't tell for a few years

Green - B
    Needed a backup center for sure

Johnson - C+
    Would've preferred someone else, just seems very limited by his skill set. Needed though

Hughes - B
    Good depth pick

Ellison - C+
    Not sure where he fits, could be good

Byrd - B
    Great sleeper pick

24. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    i say a b over all i was pretty happy trying to address our needs but the players need to step the fk up and ball out , i think we need to get my boy LO NEAL back to wreck havok in front of L.T again for another year.i bleed blue and gold cant wait for some carne of the gods BOOKING MY FLIGHT FOR THE HOME OPENER TOMORROW

25. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i say b. i have a good feeling about english and martin. english seems like he could be an osi umenyiora/justin tuck type of DE. hes freakin fast for a de, caused a LOT of problems for big ten lines, looking at the dudes highlights... id be afraid if i had to run to his side, hes a beast

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Who's "they?" Quote a source or STFU.

I read on NFL.com that his attitude went in the crapper last year when the team struggled. He acknowledged that in the past his attitude is great when things are going well but ****** when they are not. He identified that as something to work on. As for "horrible work ethic," his teammates said even though he was sulking a bit about the ****** QB play at LSU last year, he would always work his *** off in practice.

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Why not just put an INC next to every single name. That's the only appropriate grade at this point. Grading players on draft day is like your Calculus teacher determining your grade on the first day of the semester based on the grade you got in Trig. The only grade that is not meaningless is Martin - INC. Any other grade is just mental masturbation.

28. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Overall I gave our picks a B, B-. I wish we would have drafted a second Safety since I feel like we need more depth in that position, but what can you do, you're limited to what you have.

I realize Byrd is a great value pick at that spot but a part of me wonders if we really need another Wide Receiver that we need to groom. Then again, it was the 7th round, so it's not that big of a deal.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Dude, switch to decaf. People can post opinions even recollections. If you disagree with them it is fine, but there is NOTHING wrong with what Matilack posted. Chillax...

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Calm the **** down douchbag.:lol: ESPN Insiders Scouting Report gave him the worst score possible on character rating.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=24622&draftyear=2009
    "Originally signed with FIU out of high school but attended Pearl River C.C. for two seasons instead. There have been no off-the-field issues to our knowledge but multiple scouts have informed us of considerable concerns regarding his 'football character' and 'work ethic'." They gave him a 4 on Character which is the worst.

Obviously I dont take these words as gospel, I was just showing my concern over what I read in this scouting report and you blew a freakin gasket.