1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Grade our draft!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 28, 2012.

?

Grade our 2012 Draft

1. A

61.3%
  2. B

29.0%
  3. C

3.2%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

6.5%
  1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Pointless I know, but fun.

18 - Melvin Ingram = A
    59 - Kendall Reyes = A
    73 - Brandon Taylor = A-
    110 - Ladarius Green = B
    149 - Johnny Troutman = D
    226 - David Molk = A
    250 - Edwin Baker = B

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I would give Ingram an A+ based on luck being on our side with the pick.

I think Baker is an A as well at pick 250, if he holds onto the rock I can see him moving into a backup roll quite quickly.

Other than that I agree with your grades. A few years from now it will be fun to look back on this thread and see how different these grades will be. I'm thinking you may increase Greens grade in that time.

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Only reason I didn't give Ingram an A+ is I'm not completely sold on his edge rush ability...yet.

Baker lost his job his senior year, he needs to get better at reading blocks, holding onto the ball, and catching the ball. He has potential to develop into a nice player, but there are a handful of guys I would have taken in the fifth over him in the seventh.

4. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I know he has an unreal inside spin move, outright speed around the edge I have not seen much footage of. His feet are so quick for his size I have to think they will make up for any deficiency off the line. Look like a cheetah trying to get around a wilderbeast with a broken leg.

5. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I forgot Baker lost his job but I do remember his running ability. He's a strong runner, I don't think all hb's need to be blockers although with our passing style it definitely helps to have two good blockers on both sides of PR in shotgun formation. Norv uses that backfield a lot. I gotta think McClain will be called upon in those situations as well.

McClain and Royal (gotta add Ingram too now I guess) are still the guys I'm most excited about this season. I truly believe those two are gonna make the difference we've needed the last few years. Them two are going to bring so much to our offense it's enough to get the juices flowing just thinking about it.

Now we have a defense happy draft (which was also needed) and arguably the best pass rusher in the class to boot? We have a lot to look forward to this season, and we haven't even touched on the potential our entire recieving corp has.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Does 'Incomplete' count?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    18 - Melvin Ingram = A+ (Gets a plus for value at the pick)
    59 - Kendall Reyes = A (Solid due thats gonna push Vaughn for his starting spot soon)
    73 - Brandon Taylor = A (Will have Bigby's SS spot by week 6, there is a reason this guys was the captain of the LSU Tigers)
    110 - Ladarius Green = B+ (Love his size and speed combo, think he is a crazy redzone threat from day 1, everything else he'll learn from 2 of the best TE's in Gates and McMichael)
    149 - Johnny Troutman = C (Good backup material although surprised that AJ took a guy with a DUI)
    226 - David Molk = A (Think this is almost as big a steal as Ingram, just hope he doesnt end up being like Igor with tons of brawn but dumb as a post with no football acumen)
    250 - Edwin Baker = B (Good backup material although I'm really pulling for Brinkley to kill it this camp)

• Like Like x 1
  8. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    "Guys, EVERY player we drafted will be soooo good, they will all be instant starters and make the probowl and be better than any other players ever! Oh my god, AJ is king! I'm giving him a grade of A++++, we got the best players evvvarrrr!" -What you fools sound like these past few days, not just in this thread.

Get off his burrito. Seriously.

Yes, there are reasons to be excited about this draft. But can it be graded yet? No. No teams draft can truly be graded until the players have shown us what they actually can do in the NFL. None of these players have played an NFL game. This thread is foolish. And trust me, I know a lot about foolish threads.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    18 - Melvin Ingram = A+
    59 - Kendall Reyes = A-
    73 - Brandon Taylor = A-
    110 - Ladarius Green = B+
    149 - Johnny Troutman = D
    226 - David Molk = A
    250 - Edwin Baker = B+

• Like Like x 1
  10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The irony of this post does not escape me. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many posts of yours I've skated over because no response I could make would be a nice one. There are few peoples opinions who I respect less on this board than yours szarmes, but I always let it go because you seem like a nice guy, albeit extremely naive.

Listen squirt, we all know you can't judge a draft accurately just hours after it concludes...but it's fun to do anyway. And this is one of those rare occasions where I'm actually very optimistic about the talent we accrued over the last three days. So chill out, stop regurgitating things you've hear Colin Cowherd say, and stop trying to play like you're above all this. It's a message board, it's all meaningless speculation, get over yourself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    If this thread is so foolish, comment in another one. People are commenting on what they think of the draft. No one will know for 3-4 years. But people can still have opinions. In 3-4 years we can resurrect this thread and see who knew what they were talking about.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I didn't feel like any picks through the first 4 were reaches, and I felt that, through taking BPA throughout the draft, we were still able to address our needs, because great players fell to us there.

I think if you're rating the picks, you can't base it on the quality of the player, but on the quality of the player compared to the other players around him. I don't think there were any better players around where we made any of our picks (certainly not in the first 3, I haven't really looked at 4-7, since the draft happens obscenely late here in Germany.

13. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    On face value, A.

Appears to have picked up great value players at the selection slots we had, while also addressing needs, and picking up players who may be able to contrubute right away. And also, seemingly picked up soem good characters and leaders, no character concerns.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Love Ingram and Green esp. Not too sure about Troutman and Baker. Molk small but if he can kick the injuries he might have something. Taylor for me is meh, hope I'm wrong. Reyes will beat out Cesaire but can he be a real 3-4 DT?.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    hahahahaha And you wonder why I'm oh so mean to poor little you .....

I suppose it takes a condescending know-it-all to spot one.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yet you voted F in the poll

17. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I graded this draft based off immediate reaction to our picks. I give them an A this season, and it's rare for me to grade an ak draft so high, they usually turn out to be as ****** as they looked in April once these players careers unfold.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It all falls on Pag's shoulders whether or not this coming season or this draft can be considered a success. I've been waiting all of my fandom for a tough defense to go with the Bolt's prolific offense, my hopes are up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37

I'm just having fun. ;)

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I put F because FU for trying to grade a draft after 1 day. Let's talk in 3 years.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    You are ruining our fun dammit. Party pooper :devilish:

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Wow. You do realize that participation is completely voluntary, correct?

25. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Right on. It's great to not be completely pissed off after a draft for a change. Let us have some fun and ride this high for awhile and we will promise not to play on your lawn.

26. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16

greetings Bolt fans.

been a while since I've been here, but figured I'd come on over and give my opinion on the latest LSU guy headed your way.

Brandon Taylor is solid.

he's not at all flashy, and won't ever really "wow" you.
    but he will always be exactly where he needs to be.
    he allowed the rest of our secondary to roam free and make plays.

when he went down late in the 2010 season, our defense took a HUGE step back.
    i'm confident as hell we win the Arkansas that game if Taylor suits up.

plus, he was selected by teammates, coaches, and former Tigers to wear the coveted #18 last year.
    that is pretty high praise, as that Jersey goes to the player who best exemplifies what it means to be a Tiger both on and off the field.

you got a good kid with this one.