1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Great Acee article: Chargers should follow Lucchino's trail (stadium issue)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    I've been critical of KA before, but I like this article because it points to what has been missing in the dialogue so far regarding the stadium. The interview is with Larry Lucchino, one of the main players who got Petco Park built. It's a two page story, here's from the end:

. . .
    It's believable that Spanos has spent more than $15 million on lawyers, consultants, architects and investment bankers over the 13-odd years he’s been pursuing a stadium solution. The team has made nine proposals from Mission Valley to Chula Vista to Escondido to downtown.
    But through all that time, Spanos has not created a connection with his constituency. He needs to do so.
    If a stadium is going to get built, Mayor Kevin Faulconer needs to be bold, to spend political capital. The city council must be on board. Hoteliers have to figure out what it is they want. County government almost certainly has to become tangibly invested.
    But voters are not being asked to help build any of those stakeholders a stadium. It's the Chargers, first and foremost, who need to sell this.
    A trip to the Super Bowl next season remains the Chargers’ best tool in a campaign for a November '16 ballot measure. But that can’t be counted on, and it wouldn’t be enough. We’re talking about the Spanos family asking for some $600 million of other people’s assets.
    “There is no single act that will make it happen,” Lucchino said. “There has to be a confluence of good things. I think strong leadership from the elected officials is essential. No private entity can do this type of public-private partnerships without a strong partnership.
    “I certainly think winning football and making it clear to people what an asset a football team is to a city -- is to a region -- will help. And I’d add, a demonstrable set of civic benefits (is essential). We had clearly as good an opportunity to affect the downtown dynamic as I think was presented to anyone. We had a chance to significantly influence and improve a bunch of civic planning goals and other kinds of downtown needs. I’m not current on all the civic benefits that would flow (from a football stadium), but there have got to be demonstrable ones and got to be meaningful ones.”
    Yes, times are different. The state of the city government is different. The Chargers need two-thirds approval versus the simple majority Prop C required.
    Sometimes I doubt whether the combined effort of JFK, MLK, Larry Luchino and Jack Murphy could get the Chargers a stadium built now.
    But there remains some constancy in Lucchino’s wisdom, a lesson in what the Padres accomplished. One of Lucchino’s tenets was that the Padres were in the “yes” business. He was also clearly in the can-do business.
    The Chargers can learn from that.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/20/chargers-lucchino-spanos-stadium-acee/2/?#article-copy

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Another unmentioned factor in the confluence Lucchino says is necessary is the fact that in 1998 we had far less research conclusively demonstrating what a terrible deal public stadium financing represents. Back in those days people really believed a new stadium would bring all sorts of extra revenue to its home city. Now that we've seen over and over again how this isn't really the case, in San Diego or elsewhere, the team and the elected officials have a much tougher sell-job on their hands.

3. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Yes. This. Personally why I'm a terrible salesman, if I don't believe in something, I suck at selling to people. As it stands, there needs to be something else that would entice the city to get a stadium. What doesn't help is that we are always in danger of getting blacked out. That needs to be addressed. Is it a regional issue? A marketing issue? In a way it's like the Marlins stadium in Fl, it was built and the team was still crap. And the fans haven't showed up. They make us look bad. Is it that this isn't overly a football city?