1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Great article by Plaschke about why the Bolts...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by KWGerald, Jan 20, 2016.

1. KWGerald

KWGerald BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    It would hurt if the Charger leave for L.A., but I can see myself still cheering for them, but it would kill me if the raiders moved to San Diego, I can't fanthom the thought of cheering for them :sick::poop:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Makes good points, Spanos may need to re-brand, hoping it will trigger an interest to LA fans that do not really identify with a team. Sounds like Spanos is trying to get his ducks in order for leverage to negotiate with SD, then have LA in his pocket in case it fails down here.

ROLLERCOASTER :p

4. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Hopefully, Dean has come to the realization that he would be the "red-headed stepchild" in LA. While his franchise would be worth more on paper, the multiple revenue streams he was hoping for are out the window. I believe his best bet would be to start seriously mending fences in San Diego and enter meaningful negotiations with the city and the county. For the record...I am not holding my breath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    This is a weird point of view I have but I do not think I can cheer for the Chargers if they switch cities. It would be the last straw. It would just be too weird. Especially after seeing how the NFL bullies cities into spending public money. Add to the fact the I will never let my kids play football because of the obvious effects, it becomes very easy for me to transition out of football. I love San Diego by the way and at some point I want to move out of the LA area and live there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    He puts up some good arguments, but regarding the "history" argument, I don't think one year's worth of data from over 50 years ago from a then-brand new franchise is fairly relevant to today's market and chances of success.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Agree. I could probably root for them in the way I root for the Trail Blazers. It's because they're local to me, but I have no emotional attachment. I don't go out of my way to watch them, hell to be honest I don't even know their record right now.

Having said that....I might rather root for the Rams.

I would never embrace the San Diego Raiders. To even write that makes me consider burning my keyboard.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I will still root for the Chargers. If SD had been bending over backwards to work things out with them all along I would not have.

But lets face it, the well in poisoned and both the organization and the city have been adding chemicals to the mix for years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    As my esteemed pupil had already mentioned before, "Dean will ALWAYS make the wrong decision at the end". This you can take to the bank, fellas!

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What is the wrong decision in this case?

Boycotting the Oscars?

11. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I don't claim to be an expert on LA people, but I know this irrespective of data: they would only support a winner and if the Chargers wish to join the Rams in Inglewood, they better start winning starting from the 2016 season. If they go into that brand new stadium as a second fiddle to the Rams both in terms of ownership percentile and also winning record, they will be in a hole which may end up being insurmountable to climb out of.

The problem is that the Rams are well ahead of the curve on the Chargers as the roster depth goes and I would hedge my bets on them to get the franchise QB situation sorted out sooner than the Chargers getting their house in order. Plus, Rivers is the Chargers crown jewel and his "values" are not exactly attuned to the LA's values.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Easy! Whichever way he goes will be proven to be wrong ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    You're probably right here, but the author of the article argued that even if they win and even if the Rams didn't the fans would still support the Rams and not the Chargers. He used attendance from the Chargers' one year in LA over 50 years ago in their first year of existence to back up that argument.

14. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    He could be correct if the Chargers appeal more to the LA "transplanted" types and your typical Hollywood (no pun) hipsters. Those types are more fickle than the old timers who will more easily jump onto the Rams bandwagon and stay on for longer rides.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont know if you remember the hype of when the Cardinals were moving to Arizona, and how no one there would support them...

How well did that pan out?

I put little faith in predictions of doom and gloom from people who's sole measurement is the level of butt hurt they have about SD not having a team.

16. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    If the Rams were not moving to LA, you'd have a more valid point. The argument here is as to whether the Chargers will be a bona fides lucrative NFL franchise in LA because of being the junior partners in that megamous Inglewood project. If Spanos's objective is to maximize the price of his franchise to line it up for sale, he will be best advised to move. If he wants to be the top dog in his own market, stay the course, fix the people, the process and product which have failed both him and San Diego to win something of worth, he'd be best advised to stay and to get on with the long and arduous task of finally putting a winner together.

17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    AZ is not LA. They never had a team. Huge difference. LA will NOT embrace the Chargers and to think so is delusional.

If Spanos moves to LA the franchise will fail. No one in SD will follow but I guess he will still have his 25% in the ticket brokers in LA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Oh that Conc:

1- he's a veiled Spanos apologist

2- he's a known San Diego (the City of) H8er

3- he's a former fat hamster :D

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I could make a claim, of 'to think that LA will not embrace is just as delusional' with as much objective evidence as you have. We are both making guesses, and assumptions, correct?

To suggest that a city the size of LA will not be able to support 2 teams, or embrace a team that becomes 'theirs' is rather short sighted to say the least, in my honest opinion.

In fact lets air the dirty laundry, how well has San Diego embraced the Chargers? Constantly there are more opposition fans than Chargers fans at the games, stadium is a dump and the city has refused to address it for over a decade... If that is embracing, then the bar is set very low for LA.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think what most fans are intentionally choosing to ignore is that the NFL is first and foremost a business, and they make no apologies about it.
    The market in LA is much more lucrative than SD, and the stadium will be state of the art. What does SD have to counter with, 'well we MIGHT be about to build a stadium, lets wait and vote on it'.

I think that most of the people complaining about the move, would not hesitate at all if they were the business owners.

As it stands, there is very little reason to remain in SD. No clear pathway to a state of the art stadium, fan attendance at the games is at a low, and the licensing, populous, and over all market aspects of LA are impressive.

If you think staying in SD is going to make the Chargers a winner, think again, one Super Bowl appearance in SD... Not much ground for you to argue from there is there?

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Is that the best you got?
    Ok, you can call me a Spanos apologist, or a SD H8er... I guess that make the the lube boy for Donna Fry, and Mike Aguire since you seem to feel the city is worthy of nothing but love and respect even thought the city leadership has shown nothing but incompetence for 15 years.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    If anything - but then, that would require Dean to actually substantiate the 25% of season ticket holders claim - he ought to be challenging why (with the arguably more successful team in the market over the last decade-plus) Dean hasn't been able to grow that 25%. Or how much of that 25% percent were LA Rams fans who could get onboard with a semi-local team and figured, with the games they didn't feel like going to, they could turn a nice profit on reselling those tickets to visiting team fans?

There was a reason why partnering with the Raiders was so important for Dean. Save for a few pockets in heavily Hispanic areas, Orange and Riverside counties, as well as most of coastal SoCal was ripe for the taking because that was the area densely populated by former (now current again) LA Rams fans, as well as second-generation transplants who had latched onto teams like the Niners, Packers, and Steelers because of their history and winning ways. Conversely, the "less-affluent" regions of the LA market (for lack of a better term) are comprised largely of Raiders fans or at minimum Dodgers fans who have grown up with a disliking of the Padres which would likely carry over to anything "inherited" from San Diego (not saying it's right, just saying it's a very likely sentiment). Now with the Rams back, he's competing directly with them for the parts of SoCal he (Dean) stood the best chance of carving out a regular fan-base from.

Moreover, and as much as I hate agreeing with Skip Bayless (so I'm going to more say that I agree with Jason Whitlock because he put across a similar point and he's less of a troll), there's a legitimate point in the fact that the average LA fan gravitates towards teams with legitimate stars. Even if the team itself is mediocre, if they've got a player who they can thump their chests and declare "the best ___ in the league" (provided we're not talking kicker or punter), they'll keep showing up and they'll manage mediocre seasons. It's part and parcel to why even when the Lakers were average-at-best, poor-in-reality, people kept selling out Staples Center because they still got to see Kobe Bryant.

With Weddle likely out the door already (and his performance last season not doing much to justify his credentials anyway), what stars past aging Rivers and Gates (both among the top players at their position but neither definitively "the best") do the Chargers have to market? Verrett's probably the next up and he's still far from having bonafide his spot. Meanwhile the Rams are boasting a young DT who has earned All-Pro honors in his first two years in the league, a RB who looks as though he may be the next-closest coming of Adrian Peterson/Eric Dickerson, and one of the league's top pass-rushers. Without a fairly significant reload in the star-power department, Dean would be 2-3 years away from being an incredibly difficult sell - particularly if the team has no trophy to fall back on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    No plausible deniability for the 3rd insinuation? ;)

24. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +110
    I love this! It's a business now build me a stadium so I can operate my business!!!

25. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +110
    How well has San Diego embraced the Chargers? You're joking with this right? Or are you seriously gonna take one season when the team was readying to move as your basis for this ludicrous notion?

26. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    In just over 48 hours, the new LA franchise has had over 45,000 deposits for season tickets already. Do you think that if the Chargers moved to LA, that they would garner the same results in a 48 hour period? In a 45 day period? We don't even have 45,000 season ticket holders in San Diego, how can this be compared? It really can't. The Ramsies belong to LA, it is theirs. People in LA do not like San Diego, much less it's sports teams. (Think Dodgers, Padres) It took 30 years for the Clippers to come up to a level of status that is comparable to the Lakers. It would be much of the same for the Bolts if they go North of Oceanside. It has failure written all over it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +110
    The mayor of LA even said the Chargers should stay in San Diego

• Like Like x 2
  28. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    What goig to end up happening, the Chargers are going to be the new Clippers. From my pool of friends, I am the ONLY San Diego Chargers fan. Most of them are you Rams, Raider fans & of course as LA bandwagon crowds go; Patriots and Broncos fans.

29. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Then they should move if you think SD fans do not deserve a team. You can hang out in the colosseum for the next 2-3 years and tell us about the 60k charger fans that show up to cheer for the Chargers and not the opposing fans. If they pull 60k per game of Charger fans over the next 2 years in LA then you win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I really do not want to discuss you rodent fantasies... I saw the Lemingwinks South Park episode and it has scared me to this day....