1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Great new stadium news!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    North County leaders agree to cooperate on potential Chargers stadium
    Special meeting focused on hurdles, financial partnerships

Leaders from five cities along Highway 78 agreed Monday to explore ways they could cooperate financially to help Escondido build a large stadium that would keep the San Diego Chargers in the region.

During a special meeting Monday that was closed to the media, officials from Escondido, Oceanside, Carlsbad, Vista and San Marcos discussed how a stadium would benefit North County as a whole and what the hurdles are to such an ambitious project, Escondido Mayor Lori Holt Pfeiler said.

One key topic was whether other cities have land along the Sprinter rail line for one or more private developments that would be connected financially to the stadium, Pfeiler said.

Chargers officials say they need as much as $400 million in revenue from such an ancillary private development to help pay for the $900 million stadium. A partner city is necessary because Escondido's economy is not perceived to be large enough to absorb so much new development, whether it be offices, housing, retail or a combination of those.

Team officials recently added Escondido to the short list of cities under consideration for a new stadium, and an aging industrial sector near Highway 78 and Interstate 15 has been identified as a prime potential location.

But new momentum behind a stadium project in the City of Industry this fall has cast doubt on whether the Chargers will stay in San Diego.

At Monday's meeting, potential sites for an ancillary development in North County were discussed, Pfeiler said. But she stressed that the goal of the conference was not to delve into specifics.

Instead, the city leaders agreed to begin a long and complicated dialogue about finding a regional solution to the Chargers' need for a new stadium to replace outdated Qualcomm Stadium in Mission Valley, she said.

The meeting, which was held at the McMahan House on the campus of Cal State San Marcos, was organized by the San Diego North Economic Development Council.

During the meeting, the council agreed to revive a Chargers task force created in 2007 when Oceanside was a prime candidate for a new stadium. Gary Knight, chief executive of the council, said the revived task force would probably have different members than before.

Pfeiler said she was pleased by the sense of cooperation at the meeting.

"I feel very optimistic that we as a region understand that it's going to take a some heavy lifting," Pfeiler said.

Oceanside City Councilman Rocky Chavez agreed.

"It was refreshing to have five cities coming together to solve a problem," said Chavez, explaining that another recent example of such cooperation was a regional network of North County homeless shelters established in 2007. "We're more connected than ever since the Sprinter began running (in March 2008)."

But despite the optimism, Vista Councilman Bob Campbell said the hurdles are formidable.

"It was a good first step," Campbell said. "But the biggest elephant in the room was the economics."

Knight has agreed to research the economic benefits enjoyed by other cities located near new stadiums and to gather data from other cities that have wooed the Chargers, including Oceanside, Chula Vista and National City. He said such analysis would be reported back to the city leaders at a subsequent meeting.

In addition, the North County Transit District has agreed to study the capacity of the Sprinter, the Coaster and a rapid bus system planned along Interstate 15 to help determine the feasibility of a North County stadium, Campbell said.

Meanwhile, Pfeiler said that Escondido and San Diego officials have agreed to jointly study the leading Escondido site and two potential stadium sites in downtown San Diego to determine the advantages and disadvantages of all three sites.

Mark Fabiani, general counsel for the Chargers, said Monday that he was pleased that North County officials had started working together.

"This signals that this is a regional issue and that there may be a regional solution," Fabiani said.

[​IMG]

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Hey at least somebody is cooperating. As long as the stadium stays in SD County, I'm good with that. Let's just hope this isn't another facade like it was down here in Chula Vista. :(

3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Seems like Mayor Cox was the one against the stadium from the get go.

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Yup as long as they build it in SD county, it's all good.

5. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I don't live in California, have never been to San Diego and there is no incentive financially or otherwise to keep the Chargers in SD but all I know is I have been a fan for 37+ years with the "San Diego Chargers" and would be pissed to see them leave. Don't know what I would do then.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    LOVE IT - Way to go North County :yes:

Very happy to see my hometown in the mix supporting the effort too!

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'm a fan of the Chargers whether they stay or go but I'd much rather they stay.

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    It is starting to make sense to put a new stadium in North County.

Most of the fans that buy tickets and go to the games live north of the 8 freeway, and maybe even the 52, so a stadium in the northern part of the county makes sense.