1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Great post from another forum

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Harley, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    saw this post on the "official" charger forum...
    the poster was endzonecrazy.
    check it...

Open Letter to the Charger's

What is going on right now is that we are not being decisive in developing our identity, we are not playing to our individual players strengths and we don't have cohesive game plans which attack our opponents weaknesses.

Here are some examples. Last year our basic running identity was that we had a two tight end set with Manu on the field with Neal and one wide receiver and we would completely overpower teams with unbalanced sets we would create blocking mismatches because we basically had 9 power blockers against a front seven and maybe a strong safety in the box. People wonder how we were running against 8 in the box and that is the simple math - we had 9 bigs on 7 bigs and 1 small. We ran the power to exhastion out of this set and no one has yet stopped this formation when we choose to run it. To keep the defenses off balance Cam would mix in motion and put Manu out in the pattern and would do things like motion LT and Gates and create 4 reciever sets out of this featuring really big recievers. Well for whatever reason we have abandoned this approach. Now that was an identity. Teams would have to crowd the line and last year we would play action out of this on 1st down and get some really big gains on comeback routes, dig routes, corner routes, and fades down the sideline. It was very similar to what the Redskins ran during Gibbs heyday with their terrific running game and then hitting teams deep when they crowded the line.

So to summarize our running game identity was to use two tight end sets and overpower people with unbalanced sets using 9 bigs (5 Lineman Manu Gates Neal, and Jackson or this year Chambers) against 8 in the box. This year Coach Turner has not really established a running game identity. I would say he has been a bit of a "Nibbler" he has basically tried running the power out of a formation that only includes many times 7 bigs (Coach Turner doesn't have Neal and Manu on the field much at the same time) Against 8 in the box and I just giggle when I hear people wonder why we ran against 8 last year and we can't this year - It is simple math there is nothing mysterious about it.
    Also, he has tried to feature the stretch zone which I would say our team is not really built for.

Now lets talk about our passing game identity. Many times last year we were down and had huge comebacks. We did this with Rivers leading the way with terrific play and a very high 4th quarter rating. What has happend?? Well our identity last year was we were going with 3 or 4 receiver sets and would keep at least Manu in the backfield for protection. Many time we also had LT who would motion and become another receiver. What River's does very well is to pass the ball downfield. He is his best at the following routes. Out patterns at 10 and 15 yards, Dig routes (crossing patterns over compressed linebackers) at 15 - 18 yards, Comeback routes at 10,15 and 20 yards, Corner routes at any distance. He also throws seam patterns very well and has gotten even better at that this year. He is excellent at fades and fade stops. So our passing identity last year was to 90 - 95% of the time to have enough blockers to give Rivers ample time and to throw and to stretch defenses with routes at a minimum of 10 yards to take advantage of Rivers quick delivery which allows him to strike between the zones without the defenders being able to react and also his ability to throw the ball downfield very accurately. Every quarterback has their individual strengths and right now our Head Coach is still trying to figure out what our quarterback does well. 10 games is a long time to figure it out and we don't seem to be getting better any time quick.

So to summarize we have a great downfield passer who does better throwing the ball on the outside thirds of the field or if he is going to throw over the middle does a really great job of throwing right over the middle on dig routes at 15 to 18 yards of depth or deep posts between the 2 deep safties. If you chart Rivers interceptions I think you will note that almost all of them are at a depth of 10 yards or less or are slighty right or left of center or from tipped balls thrown at too short of depth.

On defense I will say one thing only - trust our corners to run some man press the receivers and send at least 5 on most passing downs. We are getting our defenses asses kicked so what do we have to lose. Also, when we are playing a really strong running team we need to play gap penetration and run blitz on obvious running downs. Our defense is built to get after the passer and right now our defensive game plans are not designed to to do that. Does that mean we blitz on every down?? No but we sure as heck pick up our volume of blitzes and really look to down and distance to choose our spots.

Agressiveness - How can a team trust a coach when the coach doesn't trust them?? Coach Turner you are choking away the best coaching opportunity you have ever had by your lack of aggresiveness. Can't you feel yourself losing your grip?? What do you have to lose by starting to go for it on 4th down. How do you go a whole season without a fake punt an onsides kick and fake field goal or going for it on every 4th down you have the chance for.
    Coach you have nothing to lose. You absolutely have to NUTT UP. Please for the sake of your career and the sake of this team start being aggressive.

Tactical Strategy - We really need to look at what other teams do well or poorly and gameplan around it. That game at Jacksonville was rife with examples. The most glaring was we were playing a team absolutely huge up the middle and tried the Neal dive not once but twice against a team absolutely built to stop it. There are just too many examples of this to list but running the ball against Minnesota, and running the ball up the ball up the middle against Jacksonville sure come to mind. Defensively standing in soft zone coverage against the Patriots and not adjusting to it sure come to mind. Year to date we are very slow to adjust or game plans against our opponents and that is a big reason we are getting outscored in the 2nd half so often this year.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's a good post. Thx for sharing it, Harley.

Wonder if the coaching staff got a copy?? :icon_huh:

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    WOW...post of the year

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Well, apparently someone stayed up many late nights breaking down film. Just too bad it wasn't any of the players or coaches from the team ... they're too busy trying to figure out who to blame without actually naming names in the media :lol:

Harley... get some sleep. Hope you, momma, & Baby had a good first Thanksgiving. :tup:

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Pretty much spot-on regarding all his takes. Clean, clear analysis. Dude did well.

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I would much rather see us run out of a three wide receiver set. The power running game is a thing of the past, and opposing defenses have learned how to stop it, not to mention that it doesn't work against good defenses. There really aren't a lot of teams that play with a lead fullback anymore. It takes an offensive weapon off of the field, and limits what you can do. I'm not saying to get rid of the power running game completely, but it needs to be limited. Regardless of what the poster says, we have run out of this formation. We usually start with LT and Neal in the backfield, and Manu will motion out of the wide receiver formation to the offensive line. Defenses have gameplanned for this motion, and they counter by shooting the gaps, and beating the blockers to the punch. Safeties crowd the line of scrimmage, and they know exactly what we are doing. This usually has resulted in no gains, or 1 yard losses. Teams have gameplanned for this motion, they saw it all of last year.

Teams saw what we did well last year, and they gameplanned for it this year. This is very common, especially when going from a third place schedule to a first place schedule. They saw that we had trouble handling the blitz, and that putting the game in Rivers' hand was the best chance for success. Teams focused on stopping LT, by shooting the gaps on first and second down to limit the run, and by blitzing on third down resulting in bad decisions by Rivers. We need to adjust to these adjustments by mixing things up. No huddle. Shotgun early. Quick passes. Three and four wide receiver sets. Empty backfield. Max protect. Any mix of the above items might mix defenses up enough for the offense to establish rhythm. They have no confidence and it shows in their play. In todays NFL teams are forced to make constant adjustments to what the opponent is doing, and what they've seen on tape. We have not made the necessary adjustments and it makes us look a step slow every game

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We're certainly doing a LOT to telegraph our intentions, both offensively & defensively. LT needs to get out in space more, which means we need a strong pulling guard. Pass blocking MUST improve as we all can see the difference in PR when he has time & when he doesn't. I think that the receivers are going to become the threat we want - if we can get them the ball. Answer - BEEF. Beef that can move, is nasty, can bulldoze a path for LT, can protect PR. Hopefully Hardwick back in the game will help. Dielman - earn your new paycheck. McNeill - suck it up. You played well last year - you need to step it up a notch. Hardwick - welcome back. Right side? Right side? Are you there, right side?

On defense - get rid of Cottrell. OK, not an immediate option? Start Weddle in place of either current safety, probably McCree. Disguise your blitzes more. Try safety blitzes with Weddle, corner blitzes with Cro. Less of Merriman in pass coverage - blitz him more. Put his hand on the ground more. Don't get fully set until just before the snap - move around to disguise your look.

Adapt during game time. Jeez, I can't say that enough. We have the offensive weapons to show several different looks. If one isn't working, move on. Maybe it will work again later. Poke & jab, then take a shot downfield. Run sweeps & skinny posts for LT. Hit the middle with MT. Manu helps with outside run blocking & pass blocking.

Just mix it up. Stay focused & committed. Give us 100% for 60 minutes - coaches & players alike.

Win. :tup::bolt:

8. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I loved the 2TE set. Not only does it give you great run support, with Gates as one of the TE's it allows for easy mismatches against LB's and safeties. When we go 3 wide the defense goes to a nickel and puts more athletcism(faster more nimble guys) on the field for them. Also 2 TE sets draw more guys into the box, and gives Chambers, VJ and Davis more 1-on-1 opportunities. This puts the passing game at a distinct advantage since the formation has built pass blockers to handle a blitz, allowing PR to find that 1-on-1 matchup. IMO the 2 TE set gives the Chargers versatility and should be there base offense.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes, that's it in a nutshell. :lol:

I think the problem this year is that we are not executing well enough in the power running game. Last year, we'd telegraph our intentions with out big set and run it anyway. This year, we put in the big set and teams snuff it out. Whether this comes from defensive adjustments or poorer execution by the offense doesn't really matter. It's just not working this year like it did last year.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well, we certainly seem to be loading with TE types. Gates, Manu, Chandler, & even Na'anee, though he's listed as a back. All of these guys can catch & block, with Gates being nearly as dangerous as any WR in the league. Gotta be grabbing these guys for something.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That gets my nomination for post of the year. Couldn't have said it better myself. Actually, it was me.......(I wish)

[​IMG]

12. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    One would think, huh? But the way Turner and Cotrell seem to misuse our personnel I have no idea. See Michael Turner glad we didn't get draft picks for that guy. Sarcasm on.:yes:

I'm off to the game, lets win one gentlemen. I don't care how ugly a win it might have to be.

13. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    yeah i liked the dudes level of detail whether anyone agrees entirely with him or not.
    and thanks nicky, you too.