1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Green Bay - Despite remark, Rodgers asserts loyalty to fans

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jul 2, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    QB says actions speak for him

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=768222

Way to open your mouth and insert foot there big fella!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Aaron Rodgers is typically known for unique analysis of his teammates, descriptive explanations of the offense and for backing up Brett Favre, verbally and literally.

That’s why the Green Bay Packers’ new starting quarterback’s comment in a Sports Illustrated magazine story is all the more intriguing.

The magazine article, due to be released today, tracks the fate (and sometimes demise) of the quarterbacks who have followed the greatest in the National Football League. The story also outlines the unenviable task that lies ahead for Rodgers, Green Bay’s first starting quarterback other than Favre in 16 years.

Sports Illustrated sent an advance copy of the story, per its usual custom, to local media for a preview.

The magazine asked Rodgers “whether he feels pressure to connect with the fans the way Favre did.”

“I don’t feel I need to sell myself to the fans,” Rodgers responded. “They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut.”

At a time when some fans are still mourning the retirement of Favre (or hoping he will change his mind), Rodgers’ comments might sting Packers backers all the more.

Reached by telephone Tuesday afternoon, Rodgers wanted to immediately clear up any misunderstanding with the team’s fans.

“I do care deeply about the fans and I think anybody who has been to training camp sees a lot of times I’m the last one out signing autographs. I care about the fans; I care about their opinions,” Rodgers said. “Everybody wants the fans to care for them and to pull for them and I am no different.

“I think my record, as far as the time I spend with the fans, and more importantly the stuff I do in the community, kind of speaks for itself.”

Rodgers is one of the more involved Packers in terms of volunteering for community and charity events.

He has also avoided any controversy like this while sitting for three years behind Favre. Not that there weren’t golden opportunities. In 2005, his rookie season, when the Packers were 1-7, some were calling for Favre to retire to give Rodgers a chance to play for the team’s future.

Just talking about such suggestions made Rodgers uncomfortable.

“It really does,” Rodgers said at the time. “Because it would definitely put a strain on me and Brett’s relationship. And with me and the fans, too. Brett’s the guy. This is his team, his organization, and until he’s ready to move on, I’m not ready to play in good faith because that would be totally wrong.”

Rodgers was sensitive to what Packers stockholders meant to the franchise then. Now he’s trying not to lose the rapport he has built with fans in three years.

“The biggest disappointment in this whole thing is if anybody is offended, because I think that my track record pretty much speaks for itself in the way I feel about the fans,” Rodgers reiterated.

Grant expects deal soon: Packers running back Ryan Grant told “The Monty Show” on Sporting News Radio on Tuesday that he expects a contract before training camp. He missed all of the off-season practices while waiting for a new deal.

“We’re moving forward,” Grant said. “Really, everything’s been positive throughout the whole process. And I’m excited and optimistic about it. And I expect to be absolutely done within the next few weeks.”

PS.

JUST IN CASE I GET FLAMED FOR POSTING NON-BOLT INFO

GO CHARGERS!!!!

:lol:

2. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    This whole incident will completely blow over...

Until Rodgers throws his first INT of the season. :lol:

3. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    [​IMG]
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

4. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I really feel sorry for Rodgers. He's in a no-win situation. The expectations of the fans are so high that anything less than a pro-bowl performance will have them howling. They've got this idealized version of Favre in their minds, and when Rodgers fails to live up to it they will be really, really pissed off.

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Quite the backtracking there. :lol: Typical NFL "oh **** I need to fix this" type of statement.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm sorry, did you type a response here???

I can't get past your av!!!

:gaga:

:drool:

:nana_love:

7. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I agree with you 100% Maestro. Favre actually looked bad at times but the fans seem to overlook that because he's a demi-god!. He was ineffective against Dallas but Rodgers nearly rallied them in the game Brett got hurt. I think Rodgers will be fine once he settles in. He's a precison passer who fits in perfectly in that offense. Just try and think out the whole thought next time Aaron, before speaking in front of the media. I like the guy and hope he succeeds.

8. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Favre won one Championship against an over-matched Patriots team. Outside of that, the Packers got 15 years of playoff flame-outs, not to mention losing a Super Bowl to a Broncos team they were heavily favored against. He broke all those career records just because he played so long. He never struck me as all that great.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Favre was very good but he never got over nor could he really get over the hump. Yet he built a cult of personality within green bay to the point that replacing him could never be considered.

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
  11. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I think Rodgers is going to struggle big this year. :yes:

12. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I know. Favre is Peyton Manning--great in the regular season, and just so-so in the playoffs. Got lucky once out of 10 trips to the post-season. I'd much rather Philip Rivers follow the Terry Bradshaw route than the Manning-Favre route: never put up spectacular numbers in the regular season or break any records, but play well when it counts and lead your team to multiple championships.

I never understood the personality cult. My mother-in-law is from Wisconsin and is a huge Packers fan. Speaking to her before the 2007 season, she said she would rather Favre stay and the Packers lose than Favre go and they win with Rodgers. I just don't get it.

13. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i mean I know that GB hadn't had a damn good QB before Favre since like Bart Starr (Majkowski or whatever the QB in the mid/late 80s was doesn't count) but Starr won the big games regularly. Favre never really did but his personality grew too big in both GB but especially in the media. Dear God Madden especially but every broadcaster just blew him at every opportunity when he was basically the iconic "big numbers, doesn't win the big one" QB.

15. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
  16. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...OUCH :lol:

17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    can't find them because John Madden went through them already

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :lol: @ Favre

just STAY DOWN man!

19. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    An Intercepted Letter From Aaron Rodgers to Brett Favre

[​IMG]

Dear Scrotal Seam,

Since you won’t return my phone calls, and you refuse to use a computer for anything other than acquiring Canadian pharmaceuticals, I figured my only recourse is to send you this letter. They do have postal service in Bum****, Mississippi, don’t they?

Listen, I understand that you love the game and all of the media fellating you reap as a result of your play, but if you have this “itch” to come back you could have at least dropped me a line. I don’t even care if you play this year, in fact, I think it would be pretty ****ing great. With all this football crap going on I’ve fallen way behind in my regimen of naps and vacations over the past two off-seasons. All I’m asking is that you stop dicking me around like this year after year.

If you need me for any reason I’ll be doing the same thing I do during every training camp, sneaking over to your house during film study and ****-****ing Deanna on your freshly mown lawn.

Yours In Christ,
    Aaron Rodgers

• Like Like x 2
  20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Goddammit, sdb, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard!! :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I feel for the guy, and it is unfortunate that his remarks have to get blown out of proportion like that.

I actually think that Aaron Rodgers will do quite well this season. The NFC Central is going to be WEAK this year: the people like MTL who have hard-ons for the Vikes are way off, they will be a .500 team. And Chicago and Detroit are horrible.

I'm rooting for Rodgers, he's a good kid.

PS. Speaking of replacing a legend at QB: Who was the guy after Fouts? I can't remember.

22. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Babe Laufenberg? Mark Malone?

Babe started the 88 season but Malone played more games.

Then in 89 it was McMahon and Tolliver
    90 Tolliver
    91 Friesz
    Then finally in 92 Stan the Man.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    And I just drooled wine on a fresh shirt.