1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Greg Maddux returns to Padres

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by EsDee_in_RI, Feb 17, 2009.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    'Professor' will return to Padres as a spring training instructor
    By Tom Krasovic

Coming off a 63-99 season, the Padres have slashed their payroll by some 40 percent and now are the consensus pick to finish last in the National League West a second consecutive year.

Being smarter than their opponents would be a good idea, since the Padres probably aren't going to be as talented – and Monday the club gained some baseball IQ points when it announced that Greg Maddux will join the team this week as a spring training instructor.

Maddux, known as “the professor,” pitched for the Padres in 2007 and until he was traded to the Dodgers last August. A 355-game winner, four-time Cy Young Award winner and future Hall of Famer, Maddux announced his retirement in December. The Cubs and Braves also were interested in hiring him as a part-time coach, manager Bud Black said.

“It's going to be great,” said reliever Heath Bell, who will try to succeed Trevor Hoffman as the closer this season. “I am really jealous of all the starters, because if I was a starter, I'd learn more from Greg.”

Maddux expects to get something out of the experience as well. He told Black he might want to become a bench coach someday.

To hear Padres players, who participated in their first official workout of spring Monday, the greater reward will be theirs.

“The things I've learned from Greg, you can't put a value on it – they'll stick with me for my entire career,” said Chris Young, the team's No. 2 starter. “I'm so thankful to play with him over a year and a half.”

Outfielder Scott Hairston said Maddux helped him to anticipate what pitchers would throw.

“A lot of people don't realize that, although he is a Hall of Fame pitcher, he knows a lot about hitting,” Hairston said. “He would talk about the mentality of it. You learn about the mental side of the game from Greg. That's why he is called the professor. He is a very intelligent and knowledgeable guy. That's why we're all excited to see him come back.”

Bell said Maddux tailored his advice to a teammate's particular talents.

“Occasionally he'd come to me and say, 'Hey, you shouldn't be throwing your breaking ball to this guy. Just throw all fastballs to this guy,'” Bell said. “He'd say, 'Me, I'd throw him breaking balls, but you throw hard enough, just throw all fastballs, he can't catch up.'

“And he'd be right. I don't think there was a time he wasn't right.”

Bell said Maddux also said that if Bell were angry after a bad outing, it was OK to give safe expression to his rage – something Maddux himself would do.

“I would come in sometimes and Greg could tell I was ticked off, and he would say, 'Let it out,'” Bell said. “He would say, 'Don't do anything stupid. Take a bat to a trash can or something.' But it was, 'If you're mad, let it out. Don't hold it in.'”

Young said one of his better stretches came after Maddux counseled him during the 2007 season.

“It was kind of ironic, coming from one of the greatest control pitchers ever, but Greg would tell me, 'Don't sacrifice stuff for location,'” Young said. “He could tell I was trying to hit my spots, and he said, 'Hey, let it go, don't sacrifice stuff for location.' And I went out and had a stretch where I pitched pretty well.

“I learned it from Greg. The chances are more often than not that when you are throwing your best stuff, you're throwing the way you should be, rather than when you try to focus on your location and your stuff isn't quite what it should be.”

Black said Maddux probably will leave the club after next week, then rejoin the team later in spring camp. He said Maddux likely will ask questions of Black and Padres coaches during games and also will spend time with General Manager Kevin Towers.

“He's going to be part of our spring training staff,” Black said. “The role is probably undefined.”

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :tup: :icon_toast:

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    'Professor' will return to Padres as a spring training instructor
    By Tom Krasovic

Coming off a 63-99 season, the Padres have slashed their payroll by some 40 percent and now are the consensus pick to finish last in the National League West a second consecutive year.

Being smarter than their opponents would be a good idea, since the Padres probably aren't going to be as talented – and Monday the club gained some baseball IQ points when it announced that Greg Maddux will join the team this week as a spring training instructor.

Maddux, known as “the professor,” pitched for the Padres in 2007 and until he was traded to the Dodgers last August. A 355-game winner, four-time Cy Young Award winner and future Hall of Famer, Maddux announced his retirement in December. The Cubs and Braves also were interested in hiring him as a part-time coach, manager Bud Black said.

“It's going to be great,” said reliever Heath Bell, who will try to succeed Trevor Hoffman as the closer this season. “I am really jealous of all the starters, because if I was a starter, I'd learn more from Greg.”

Maddux expects to get something out of the experience as well. He told Black he might want to become a bench coach someday.

To hear Padres players, who participated in their first official workout of spring Monday, the greater reward will be theirs.

“The things I've learned from Greg, you can't put a value on it – they'll stick with me for my entire career,” said Chris Young, the team's No. 2 starter. “I'm so thankful to play with him over a year and a half.”

Outfielder Scott Hairston said Maddux helped him to anticipate what pitchers would throw.

“A lot of people don't realize that, although he is a Hall of Fame pitcher, he knows a lot about hitting,” Hairston said. “He would talk about the mentality of it. You learn about the mental side of the game from Greg. That's why he is called the professor. He is a very intelligent and knowledgeable guy. That's why we're all excited to see him come back.”

Bell said Maddux tailored his advice to a teammate's particular talents.

“Occasionally he'd come to me and say, 'Hey, you shouldn't be throwing your breaking ball to this guy. Just throw all fastballs to this guy,'” Bell said. “He'd say, 'Me, I'd throw him breaking balls, but you throw hard enough, just throw all fastballs, he can't catch up.'

“And he'd be right. I don't think there was a time he wasn't right.”

Bell said Maddux also said that if Bell were angry after a bad outing, it was OK to give safe expression to his rage – something Maddux himself would do.

“I would come in sometimes and Greg could tell I was ticked off, and he would say, 'Let it out,'” Bell said. “He would say, 'Don't do anything stupid. Take a bat to a trash can or something.' But it was, 'If you're mad, let it out. Don't hold it in.'”

Young said one of his better stretches came after Maddux counseled him during the 2007 season.

“It was kind of ironic, coming from one of the greatest control pitchers ever, but Greg would tell me, 'Don't sacrifice stuff for location,'” Young said. “He could tell I was trying to hit my spots, and he said, 'Hey, let it go, don't sacrifice stuff for location.' And I went out and had a stretch where I pitched pretty well.

“I learned it from Greg. The chances are more often than not that when you are throwing your best stuff, you're throwing the way you should be, rather than when you try to focus on your location and your stuff isn't quite what it should be.”

Black said Maddux probably will leave the club after next week, then rejoin the team later in spring camp. He said Maddux likely will ask questions of Black and Padres coaches during games and also will spend time with General Manager Kevin Towers.

“He's going to be part of our spring training staff,” Black said. “The role is probably undefined.”

Blatant post for Bolt Cash

:bolt::bolt::bolt: