1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Manusky New Def Coordinator

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Apr 7, 2011.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    What are your thoughts on hiring Manusky as D Coordinator? Read the comments below on profootballtalk.com about him. Seems like 49er fans weren't too pleased with his defense up there. Thoughts?

One example:

High demand for Greg Manusky | ProFootballTalk

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am in a wait and see mode. I think we have more of the peices in place to run his style of D. But the proof will be in the puddin...

3. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    As far as I know he will run the same exact 1940's "3-4" D. The only difference is he will be using his OLB's more like DE's, which is a more proper way to run the 3-4 as designed. RR would often drop his OLB/DE into coverage to be more unpredictable in his blitzing schemes. But he won't blitz as much as our old D cord and we will be more exposed. At least R.R knew to blitz to hide it's flaws and make our old D workable. I would run up the middle all day long vs our D. Then when they start to suck in u play action to raGe our flawed D. Also if they playing the OLB like many today you can also screen either side or draw plays all day long. The Jets could have done even better if they had my run system. Our middle 3 holes have only 1 player to stop anything in the middle run type issue. Not only these problems but OLB/DE's are not fast enough to cover today's RB's & spread formation match-ups. Something Norv is very aware of and has utilized his whole career. If I ever get to talk to him I think he would understand why my D player types and formation make so much sense. He would understand when he matched up his plays vs it in concepts & saw how many plays would be eliminated.

Unless he uses a whole diff formation like my ThunderHammer, we will not be top 10 d. The "3-4" is a flawed scheme for today's faster game, which was designed to stop the sweep play which dominated the 1940's to around the 1970's. Today's OLB, were called a DE and he had outside contain. The 2 ILB's played back 3-5 yards so they could be 2nd level of outside contain either way. It is extremely easy to run up the middle vs it. The Jets know this and did so vs us in the playoff's. Also the "3-4" requires super human players that are rare and must be able to take on 2-3 blockers on each down.<-- This should tell you its flawed, my ThunderHammer scheme formation does not require your team to have top 5 players at said positions to function LOL> Usually u end up with lots hurt DL players (As we lead the league last few years in injured DL players hmm) and ones who don't get many sacks and are unhappy to play in this outdated/flawed scheme. Hence players like #92 D player of the year Hansworth wanted to be traded off a 3-4 team.

I always laugh when I read about how we need a better Nose Guard DL-man for D to function :) Or superhuman OLB who can speed rush or bull rush & also cover super speedy RB's or spread WR's just so our D doesn't look useless. Maybe we could draft Jaml W and Shawn M again and look like a top 10 d LOL.

*HINT* ppl these are clear signs of tactical problems when u need top 5 players in many dif positions just to work. Jets have like 1 great CB and average rest players on D and yea they #1 D.

4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    "ThunderHammer" LOL. Pure comedic gold.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    While I'm not entirely high on Manusky it doesn't sound like the author of that comment even knows what he's talking about.

Isn't that the responsibility of the Special Teams unit?

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I would suggest they run Lightning Shield. It is my top secret method of defense that will sack a QB on every play leading to both a turnover and interception... Yes, it is that good!

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'd rather they jack a proven former or current Stiller defensive knockoff. Ski got the call and it's his job now.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    How about the Lighting Bolt Conc??? :lol:

9. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Conc...drop the Kool-aid and back away slowly....look what it did to world chimp!!

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :icon_rofl:

11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Manusky is a high energy guy...... that's something this team needs. When you look back on last year, we had Norv on offense, Rivera on defense, and Crosby on special teams. None of those guys are what you would call the firebrand type.

Now we have two guys, Manusky and Bisaccia that are young energetic motivators. That could make a real difference this season (if we ever play football in 2011).

Rivers and Norv are on the same page, so the offense isn't an issue, the other two are...... IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Good points Blue Bolt! I prefer your powder blue logo over your darker blue bolt girl, TBH. Your avatars reflect your substance! I shall expect much great reading from you! Who is this masked man who seems to be amazing in knowledge?

You seem wise and well aware of our smoke and mirrors D last year. Good to see/read someone like you around posting, who understands how to look at stats and know which one's are important and which ones are useless. Go on......

http://www.massgate.net/profile.php?3,27269c <-- one my old accounts hehe.