1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Manusky....the pop warner DC

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 18, 2011.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Rush 3, zone 8....holy **** did we re-hire Ted Cottrell?

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I'm not sure it's just on the DC.
    Under Norv, every DC has gone from "I'm gonna bring it" to vanilla rush with zone coverage.

Some of this has to be on the HC.

That said, nice thread start matilack. Cause we're all sitting here having a 'what the ****' moment after watching that defense. Especially with Manusky being billed as the guy who was gonna bring the heat.

• Like Like x 2
  3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Ron Rivera had 10 on the LOS last year, and we had SUCCESS against Brady.

Their entire offense is based on timing, you have to chuck the WRs and force them to beat you, not let them run wild until Brady gets a chance to hit them.

And WTF? Is Cam Thomas going to sack Brady? HELL NO! RUSH HIM!

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    RR didn't bring it as much as he needed to. Neither did TC. Neither has Manusky.
    But yes, that lead up to the FG was mind-boggling.

Look at how far the CBs are still playing off. Cason giving Branch a 7 year cushion. That's not going to work against Brady.

Also, I thought it was only Cesaire that whiffs on Brady....;)

5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Hold the boat.
    Hold the ******* boat!
    The Bolts have successfully covered a TE and we have a NE punt.
    Manusky rulez.

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    This is sickening. YET ANOTHER SLOW START. Please get rid of this coaching staff and weddles.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    This was an absolutely pathetic game plan- did he not watch the Miami game or the SD NE game last year? Why on earth did we rush three or four guys the majority of the time? Brady had enough time for a beer between passes. For all his bluster, all his everything, the guy is really looking like a Ted Cottrell clone. Same with last week and now this week

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Are we sure that our DCs have free rein?
    Or when it comes to the game plan, does the HC have some influence?

9. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Doubt that Norv has anything to do with the D calls. It's all on Manusky.

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Norv has a lot to do with the game planning. He doesn't say "Have it it Greg, I got nothing to say about the D."

How do you explain a guy who was supposed to be balls out going soft?
    Not saying Norv's direction would be the only reason, but I guarantee that the two went over situations and Norv gave Manusky direction.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He is 'supposed' to be balls out... But how did his D in SF really do?

I am frustrated, but concerned about our defensive scheme...

12. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    It could be that he's not very good.

But I've seen 3 DCs go soft under Norv. Could be due to personnel, could be due to HC. Or both. Hard to say without being in the dressing room, but one would think the HC has a hand in the overall defensive scheme. I'm not talking about play calls either, I'm talking about the game plan for defense.

It'll be interesting to hear the coaching staff, including Norv, defend that scheme, though I imagine Norv will do his usual song and dance and not give much of an answer. Don't get me wrong, I like Norv. But he's had 3 DCs and all of them have been more vanilla than anything else--RR did bring 5 more often than TC or Manusky so far, but he wasn't exactly a pin their ears back DC.

That's 3 DCs. Doesn't take a weatherman...

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    This is game you mark as a L even before the season starts so I'm not too upset in the end.

I just didn't expect Manusky to regress to so much, it was absolutely maddening.

14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Exactly.
    The way we lost was the frustrating thing, not the loss itself.

15. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I agree rushing 3 gave way too much time. Hell that prevent type defense prevents wins and gains yards especially for a QB like Brady it make him more comfortable.:mad:

16. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    If we can pin a loss on this game to a coordinator or players...why not go with the Offense?
    We were on the Pats side of the field on seemingly every drive. How many times did the
    OFFENSE come up short? Let's see...stuffed at the one yard line (can't blame Manusky)
    Oh um...interception...and oh wait..another interception (I'm pretty sure Manusky wasn't
    throwing the ball or running routes)
    Oh wait..um a fumble...damn you Manusky for fumbling the ball!

The Offense blew this game. The Defense didn't do too much to win the game either,
    but the Offense wasn't any better...unless we were on our own side of the field.

So anyway, tough loss...we had plenty of chances to win...but like everyone knows, it's difficult to
    win when you lose the turnover battle....etc...etc...etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Minus hte last meaningless drive we were in patriots territory every single drive and came away with 21 pts only. Being upset with Manusky doesn't excuse the misfires of the offense. But where the offense's mistakes were much more mental and boneheaded, there was alot schematically wrong with the defense.

And one loss does not a slow start make anymore then one win makes a fast start

18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Luckily the Chiefs are next.

• Like Like x 2
  19. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    This post was about Manusky and the Pop Warner DC, nowhere did it mention the offense so I was keeping with the topic at the time, so don't get upset start a thread about the offense.
    While I agree with you, the offense blew the game with the turnovers. We were still in the game down 7 with the ball in the 4th, even with the Tolbert fumble, the D stops them and we still have chance to tie it up. I'm just saying;)

20. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I agree. This is ridiculous. Norv must have loose phobia or something. He won't do anything aggressive even when it is necessary for the win. Some of those plays the rush was so bad it looked like brady could have stood back and waited for two minutes for a receiver to get open. I mean come on, they might as well drop 2 linemen back into coverage once they see its a pass because they aren't helping struggling to get anywhere against 5 or 6 blockers.

21. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Congrats on keeping with the topic.
    I'm not upset, but if I wanted to get upset I wouldn't do it on this forum.
    I can start a thread about the offense if I want.
    I agree with your last sentence.

Now as far as Manusky goes, I did mention him in the thread, so technically
    I was sticking with the thread also.
    No, I didn't agree with the Manusky bashing so I stated my position, I am allowed
    to disagree yes?
    I'm also just saying...;)

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I sure hope the defense isn't really that bad. River's threw two picks and shoulders plenty of blame on this stinker but it is what it is, a loss.

23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Let's hope that was because of the noise...

24. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Shouldn't it be asked who gave this horrid DC the job in the first place? Or at least recommended him?

25. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    49ers? They weren't exacctly good last year

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't think it is talent wise. Any time you sit back in zone and try to rush Tom Brady with three 300 pound D-linemen, its pretty unanimous that your DC isn't putting the players in a position to make plays.

What was worse, as the 1st half went on the coverage got softer....and softer....and softer....and rushers went from 4 to 3, as if Manusky thought being more passive was the answer. I lost A TRUCK LOAD of respect for Manusky today, and even more optomism that we have any chance to win a playoff game. Scheme wise, the worst I've seen in 4 years from a Charger DC.

I don't want to hear "great job Manusky" if we shut down the Chiefs offense next week. With no Charles we should keep them to 10pts or less.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    fuking agree man..**** was disgusting.

28. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    How many times have you seen a head coach rip the **** out of a coordinator?
    Not exactly a rare thing in the NFL.
    Norv should have been in Manusky's ears that last drive in the 1st half.
    No excuses for either of them.

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    To be fair I did see Norv jabbering at Manusky at one point in the 1st half, I can't remember exactly when.

30. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Slow start? You guys are idiots. We're 1-1 and in the second week of the season. If this turns out to be our only loss of the year are you guys still going to complain.