1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Williams Audio leaked

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I've never been in a defensive locker room coach em up type moment, but that speech was pretty disgusting IMO. Does this stuff go on all the time or is typical behavior?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Talking about tearing a players ACL, seriously hurting someone, it made me sick, Im not a fan of Goodell but I'm thankful he was looking into this when he did and struck when he did

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Don't worry....... Drew Brees is working hard to discover the "real truth" behind these spurious allegations. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Here is the audio/video:

BTW, who the hell taped this?

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031

Drew sitting in front of Goodell with the audio tape

Williams "When you're in the pile I want all you you to keep hitting Smith in the head until he doesn't get up" *STOP*

Brees "What he was saying there was I want everyone to see where Alex Smith is ticklish

Williams "I want you to go after and tear Crabtree's ACL" *STOP*

Brees "I believe it sounds like he's saying tear his ACL, but he's really saying invite him to your daughters birthday party next Saturday"

7. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Bad timing lol, just as they appeal this comes out.

8. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    That appeal is going to fail miserably. Good luck with that Greg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    The stuff about the ACL and Kyle Williams = LIFETIME SUSPENSION.

There is no way Sean Payton didn't know about this either, 1yr sounded a little excessive at first, but now I think it needs to be at least another 8 games into 2013.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Even Micheal Irvine said he felt it was a bit harsh until he heard the tape, he was always one to give 2nd chances but said he feels Williams should never be allowed to coach again

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I reckon they should stop handing out the skull and crossbones or the tomahawks in college football, you know, the little decals they wear on the helmets. Those are for making great plays and one has to earn them on coaches recommendation.
    Of course, no coach ever tells a players to knock the sh1t out of the other guy, I mean, only gentlemen play the game of tackle football.

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Tackling someone is one thing, hit them as hard as you can is one thing, but targeting certain players and telling them to severely hurt them targeting ACL, give him a concussion (look at Dielman concussions ended his career early), target his ankle those are way over crossing the line

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Do I think Gregg Williams/Sean Payton are the only coaches to endorse or promote this type of behavior in the NFL (and even college)? Absolutely not.

Still pisses me the hell off and I hope neither onw of them every coach again. Payton will likely be back but I can't imagine Williams gets a pass from the NFL or NFLPA to be allowed back in.

This game is violent enough without headhunting. That's part of what makes the game such a challenge, playing by the rules and still being successful at a high level. I love watching guys knock each other around, but I don't wish ill of opposing players (well, maybe with a few exceptions.... *cough*cuddles*cough*)

But seriously, head injuries in particular, can not only be career threatening but they are clearly a major issue for players' long-term health. Just the normal every down hits these guys take exponentially up the risk of Alzheimers and other brain injury disorders. Many of which result in personality shifts, depression, dementia, suicide.... awful stuff. :( It's one thing to take that risk knowing that the game is violent and quite another for coaches and players to go outside of the rules and up that risk by purposefully trying to injure opposing players.

I don't care if it's been going on forever - I don't care if it's a locker room norm or mentality - It's wrong and it has to stop.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Guys and gals have been getting even since time began. The old you hit me I'm gonna hit you harder deal is still very much alive and well. It's not going away now or ever as long as humans remain in contact with each other.

15. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I don't think there's any disputing that. I think players going out and playing hard and making big hits and targeting other players is part of the game, let alone human behavior.

But I think that having a coach sit there and make a case for purposefully injuring another player is horrid. It's not like he just made some passing comment like "oh wouldn't it be sad if Smith missed the second half" or whatever. He sat there and told them repeatedly to go out and break particular players ACL's, brains, ankles and all other things. It's not a gang war, it's football and honestly that tape was more disturbing than anything I was expecting to hear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Amazing how its taken this long for this to all come out............

Like the man has coached at 6 NFL clubs and I bet my bottom dollar he has used those exact words with everyone of them.

Its one thing to ask for your players to be aggresive, but when you get specific about opposition players knee's, ankles and head, then your crossing the line.

Guy needs to be banned from coaching, very simple, certainly shouldnt be allowed around kids again, thats a given.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Are related to Michael Irvin by any chance? ;)

Michael Irvin “almost threw up” when he heard Gregg Williams speech
    Posted by Michael David Smith on April 5, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT

Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin was sickened when he listened to the audio of former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams urging his players to hurt players on the 49ers.

Irvin said he understands that coaches fire up their players by talking about physical football. But when Williams urged his players to go after 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree’s ACL, he crossed a line that Irvin believes is unforgivable.

“Since you were a baby you’ve understood never take out a man’s knees and on this tape he’s talking about taking out an ACL,”Irvin said on NFL Network. “I almost threw up when I heard it. I pulled back any covers that I may have had for a coach. If he is out of the league forever, it would be only the right thing to do.”

Williams is currently serving an indefinite suspension, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will consider allowing Williams back into the league after a year. Irvin said he doesn’t think Goodell should permit Williams coach again.

“The Commissioner, you can’t let [Williams] back in,” Irvin said.

After hearing the speech, a lot of people share that sentiment.

18. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Mate, Ive sat through many a coaches speeches in my day, so NOTHING that comes out of their mouths surpries me at all...........

Common sense on behalf of the players you'd hope, does still exist and if anyone deliberately went out and specifically targeted another players knees, ankles or head, then they should also be suspended for long periods of time.

In most physical games, such as Football (regardless of the code), there are just some lines that ARE NOT crossed and the players themselves are well aware of what those lines are.

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think the concussion comments are especially bad, since the NFL is putting an emphasis on protecting players from concussions. I'll be surprised if Williams ever coaches again. As for the poster upthread asking about who recorded the audio, it was a documentary filmmaker.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So if I were to post a rah rah post telling all of you to go for JackFrost's typing fingers, would I be banned?

21. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Nasty shite Conc .....................and whats with this "fingers" ???.................I only use one to my knowledge !!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    How much you offering?

• Like Like x 1
  23. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    after listening to that, I feel that Greg really is NOT a good motivational speaker. I am just saying. lol

24. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Williams is done. The Saints appeals are done. Payton is done for the year. My guess is the Saints go 8-8 or worse this year as every ref scrutinizes every hit they make. And I think fair is fair, we ought to stand Williams up and have Crabtree and the boys get to take shots at his knees.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    If he ever returns to the Nfl ill be astonished

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    He is so done in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I thought you used 4 and a thumb.... Ba dum dum!

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    W to the erd!

29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't see how anyone that has been a fan for any length of time can be shocked at all of this. Bounties aren't some new infraction of the NFL or even the MLB. I had an HC once that said " I want to see blood on your uniform and it better not be your own" so, whats the message there? Sliding hard into second base with your cleats up to take out the player isn't exactly child's play, it's understood in the heat of action. I am not saying what Williams did is right but let's get off the high horse if you think this is an isolated incident.

30. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    34 points in the last 4 minutes. Smith had 299 and 3 td's + a rushing td, Davis went off for 180 and 2 td's. The Saints D gave up a game winning TD drive with a minute left lmao. All that talk, maybe they weren't even listening. I forgot how exciting the finish of that game was.