1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Grice clears waver, joins practice squad

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Only RB on the PS, according to U/T.
    Is Branden Oliver really better than Grice? I missed the middle of pre season due to a Rocky Mountain camping adventure. What little I saw of Grice, I liked. Seemed to make his own holes. What little I saw of Oliver,not so much.
    Whacky conspiracy theory question (I can always blame it on altitude sickness) :tup:: Did MM just pull a fast one by exposing Grice to waivers first, head faking to the rest of the planet think he wasn't as good as Oliver? Then if he finds another player for the 53 man squad, he can plunk Oliver on the PS with lower risk that he'll be snatched up?
    Oh yeah, and ... :raiderssuck:

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I really like Oliver's feet and hands, great balance and seemed solid catching passes out of the backfield. Not sure Grice really had a chance to show his stuff as a receiver like Oliver did, from what hear from folks who saw him in college he should have been pretty good there as well.

Both seem pretty evenly matched, so I wouldn't have been surprised if it had gone the other way. Oliver did have great reports out of camp so maybe that tipped him over the edge onto the 53?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

3. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Wearing the 43 and the comparisons to Sproles (not similar styles imho) by the media, every time
    he touched the ball, could have influenced the Oliver decision. Hopefully, the coaching staff is immune
    to outside hoopla and this wasn't the case.
    I liked Grice just as much, is there a future as a PR/KR for either one?

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    The best choice is the one where get them both. We did. Yay!

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Not sure what the strategy was but I was in the "damn, we've cut Grice over Oliver" camp. I am of the opinion Grice is the better long-term prospect so to see him clear waivers and make it to the PS is good news but wonder is it as much to do with good luck or strategy. Of course him being on the PS means he can potentially be swiped at the first RB injury out there. So, maybe they will in fact swop them, dropping Oliver to PS and Grice to 53?, can this be done?

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Jeez, let's really hope that our coaching staff isn't that dim (or we're in big f-ing trouble!)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Could be the old shell game being played by Telescopio. TT is keeping the mind busy while he's removing the pea so it can't be found. I still find the final roster somewhat unusual in the way they chose the personnel to fill it out.

8. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think they kept Oliver simply because he can do special teams and PR if needed.

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Maybe Oliver could Twist and was fast as the Dickens!

Or perhaps Oliver possesses incriminating photos? (Rivers buying a Durex @ Walgreens?)

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Missoula, western Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Craters of the Moon, Sawtooth Mountains, upper Salmon River. Hiked a lot, saw plenty of game, picked some mushrooms, caught some fish.

11. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Psilocybin? :confused: