1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Grice gone????

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CajonZonie, Sep 22, 2014.

1. CajonZonie

CajonZonie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    So I just noticed that Marion Grice inked a two-year deal with Arizona today-Is anybody else bothered by this? I believe that Grice has incredible potential and versatility, especially when it comes to catching passes out of the backfield. I followed him pretty closely throughout college considering I am an ASU alum. But all biases aside, I feel that he could've contributed in a limited role especially in the wake of the recent injuries. Had this move been done by our previous front office, I would've been downright livid. But in this new era of Telesco & Co, respect and confidence are at an all-time high. Therefore it's difficult to argue the decisions made by our execs, especially those dealing with personnel issues. That said, I'm not angry and I trust the decision, I would just like to know the motivating factor(s) behind this move and why Grice didn't get the nod when a perfect opportunity arose? Was it purely political? Did it have something to do with activating Cordero Law to the 53 man instead? Or was it to make room for Ben Jarvis Green Ellis or LaMichael James? Whatever the case, i'm just a bit disappointed and want to know if anyone else shares these sediments? Regardless, the Bolts have made me and mine awfully happy thus far, go bolts!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I wouldn't say I'm upset about losing a practice squad 6th round pick who couldn't beat out an UDFA for a roster spot, but the timing is certainly odd given our injury situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    If I would've heard this after hearing that Telescopo picked up one or two
    experienced backs, this morning, I would't have flinched.

Right now, though, with the RB situation at DEFCON 1,
    letting any back go,who knows the system, seems absurd.

I'm choosing to give TT the benefit of the doubt, here,
    assuming that he has a vet (or two!) all but signed...outside of public view.
    (If he doesn't, letting Grice walk away now would be tantamount to professional negligence...)

4. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    We originally kept 5 running backs (Mathews, Woodhead, Brown, Oliver & Grice) on the 53 man roster but when the need arose for depth on the defensive line, an available veteran was identified & signed, and Grice was waived & put on the practice squad to make room.

I’m sure our front office didn’t anticipate losing our top 2 backs within the 1st three games, but even if they had, they probably would’ve let either Grice or Oliver go, in favor of a more experienced back but we entered the season with some good depth & experience from that position.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I don't know NFL rules but I'm sure there's something in there that basically says you can't bring a player up from the practice squad then send them right back down to basically block someone else from signing him. In other words, to block Arizona from doing this they'd more than likely have to basically commit to Grice being on the main squad just to prevent him from leaving.

In other words, even if they don't have a vet all but signed there's a chance they just weren't THAT sold on Grice to make that kind of comittment and basically abandon a search for a vet because they just used the roster spot to block Arizona.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    The fact that they kept Oliver only the 53, who only had 1 good pre-season showing against a terrible defense, over Grice after spending a draft pick on him tells me they probably weren't that happy with him in camp and pre-season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
  8. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    You are exaggerating! DEFCON1 is when Philip has to hand off to himself, even though his running game has improved of late :D

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Actually, you're right: I meant DEFCON 2, (hence the red), DEFCON 1 (white)
    is when Philip does his Fran Tarkenton impression...

...in all seriousness, though, TT better be holding much better cards than he's currently showing...
    the lack of an experienced back, at this point, could well ruin the '14 campaign...

10. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    And that's why I believe that the Chargers did not activate Grice from PS and Grice decided to bail on them anyway (I wish him well but not well enough to be the next Wes Welker scenario ;) ) With Woody seemingly gone for the season and Mathews sidelined perhaps till the Bye, 2 unproven rooks in Oliver and Grice to backup Donal Brown!. We need a veteran who is chomping at an encore chance to join a team with PO potentials and aspirations.

11. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Based on depth & talent level improvements on the rosters he’s put together for the past 2 seasons, I choose to trust GM Tom Telesco for now, until he gives me a reason not to….

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I don’t think we had the opportunity to activate Grice, apparently Arizona was moving on him while we were playing in Buffalo.

He took his physical with them today, and it’s doubtful that they called him late last night or early this morning & asked him to fly to Phoenix, this had to be in the works for at least a day, maybe more.

13. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    So technically no player on any PS is protected from poachers?!

14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    So for now, we have Brown, Rivers, and Oliver. The BRO corps. Who the heck is this #88 kid that I keep seeing on certain running plays? I know that he is an H-Back, just can't remember the name... Maybe Rivers should give that guy the ball once in a while.

The next announcement that I expect to hear soon is that the Chargers have just signed ________ from the _______as a running back.

15. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    That’s David Johnson, he’s a TE & a fullback.

16. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^Thanks for the info. He has been in the league for 5 or 6 years, why not give him a few reps?

17. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    He's not a back, he's a big blocking TE that lines up at FB sometimes.

18. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I saw that on TV yesterday. Just the same, why not let the coaches alter the playbook a little and let the guy have a chance running the ball?

19. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    **** we are getting hit hard...Manti Is gone too. Well lets see what Connor can do

20. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Lets just get a veteran back signed and hope Oliver becomes a beast and Mathews heals quickly.

I've been thinking about the back we sign. While Mathews is out, signing a Green-Ellis or Bush seems like a better option, but once Mathews is back, a quicker guy like James might be better the rest of the way. I'm kind of leaning towards a smaller, quicker back now, especially if Oliver turns out to be a decent runner.

21. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Please Beast Oliver

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    TT did not have a choice in the matter. Any PS squad player can sign a contract with another team to join their active roster. Grice chose to go back to AZ.

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    If that's true, you know something that I don't.
    Why couldn't TT have brought Grice up as soon as the severity of Woodhead's injuries was known, Sunday?

If there's a practice squad rule that prevents this, perhaps you could link to it... (?)

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_team

There's one link that references it but you can find dozens online and I'm too tired to look it up anywhere else. Practice squad players are technically free agents. They can sign with any team at any time. So it's not a matter of the Chargers calling up Grice. The two sides have to agree to a contract, just as if Grice were a free agent. Grice chose to sign with AZ instead.

25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Correct. Tolzien was another this happened with.

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    This is such a kick to the nuts. I was touting Grice before we played Buffalo. As soon as Woody went down surely TT would have been pressing play on moving Grice up?, I'm surprised he got away, and disappointed.

27. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Just plowing through running backs now, aren't they? Don't fret, the cavalry is coming, good news soon...

28. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    It's all water under the dam now. I wager TT is exploring trade options too, and not just cruising the swap meet for a practice squad guy or unemployed running back.

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    But I specifically asked what prevented TT from protecting Grice Sunday,
    when it became obvious that the Charger running back situation was gutted.

Everyone knows that a team can poach a practice squad guy...what I don't understand
    is the combo of leaving Grice on the practice squad, where you can lose him, when you don't
    have another running back signed.

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Said Capt. Leo of the Alamo.