1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gross dislocated his kneecap

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltjolt, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Link

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

ST. LOUIS ---- Linebacker Shaun Phillips got hit with ëThe Other Guy' tag last season. During Saturday's first quarter, he was ëThe Guy.' Often playing in the shadow of Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman, Phillips forced two fumbles and had a sack in the opening quarter of the Chargers' preseason game against the Rams.

"I was just out there trying to do my part," Phillips said after the 30-13 victory. "Everybody on this team has a role, and I just wanted to go out there and help my team try to get a victory, whether it's preseason or regular season."

Phillips had 11 1/2 sacks last season and earned a contract extension that runs through the 2012 season.

Merriman had an NFL-high 17 sacks and isn't a big fan of ëThe Other Guy' label that found Phillips.

"I never looked at him as ëThe Other Guy' in the first place," Merriman said. "I just try to go out there and dominate each play."

Gross injured

Running back Tyronne Gross dislocated his right kneecap midway through the final quarter. Gross will be re-evaluated to determine the length of time he'll be sidelined.

"Tyronne Gross has worked so hard," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "He's such a neat kid and a talented player. I was really disappointed to see him get hurt."

Gross spent last season on the team's practice squad.

He played his college football at Eastern Oregon.

The only other injury reported after the game was a high ankle sprain suffered by defensive tackle Brandon McKinney.

Talented backs watch

As expected, LaDainian Tomlinson didn't suit up for the contest. He wasn't the only star running back to serve in the role of spectator.

St. Louis featured back Steven Jackson dressed for the game but took the field only for the Rams' first offensive play. He didn't touch the ball.

Brian Leonard, a second-round pick out of Rutgers, handled the bulk of the rushing workload for the Rams, carrying 17 times for 49 yards. Michael Turner led the Chargers with 48 yards on nine carries.

Tackle machine

New starting inside linebacker Steven Cooper had 12 tackles in the first half, a total that would have represented a career high if it were a regular-season contest. Cooper had 11 stops against Seattle last December.

Cooper, however, wasn't satisfied despite his abundance of tackles.

"Honestly, no," Cooper said. "I wish I did a little bit better job tackling-wise."

Et cetera

WR Craig Davis started ahead of Malcom Floyd and caught two passes for 9 yards. Vincent Jackson led the Chargers with three receptions. ... P Mike Scifres had his typical impressive performance, averaging 52.3 yards on three punts. Scifres had a 64-yard punt in the second quarter and a 56-yarder in the third. His short punt of 37 yards was downed at the Rams' 6 by Kassim Osgood. . ... The Chargers waived defensive end Barry Cryer, an undrafted rookie free agent from Nebraska. ... Jackson twice got called for penalties for moving before the snap of the ball. Floyd was called for a false start, his penalty coming just two plays after Jackson's second miscue.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    For that to have happening, he had to have torn his patella tendon. :icon_eek:

:unsure:

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Tough, tough break. I wish him the best fro recovery.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The replays did not look good. I immediately thought, IR or injury settlement. I was pimping this dude earlier and damn.......:icon_sad: I wish him well.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Watching the replay made me squirm...yeesh! Hope he recovers well.

6. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    It looked like it hurt for sure .. Get well soon!

7. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    McKinney's high ankle sprain is going to hurt too. I hope it's not as bad as Castillo's was. Did anybody hear anything about Jamal? I know he got pulled early, but was it a new injury? Old injury? Precaution? It looked like his foot injury might have been affecting him a bit on the field. I really hope I don't see him again until Chicago.

8. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Yeah that sucked and it's really tough for guys on the bubble. Same thing happened to Moats in Philly the other night.

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I'm think we IR him and let him take Turner's spot as LT's backup next season.

Until that point, Gross > Pinnock who did not impress again.

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Bummer for Gross:no: what left of my bad kneecaps hurts just thinking about it.

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    no need to worry bout him, the team doctor (and my schools team doctor as well) does a reaaaaally good job at minimizing the amount of time someone is out for injury. if i could only remember his name! nvm, its dr hizon, hes good, if i called him today cuz i had an injury, he could get me in today and at the latest by tomorrow. i trust him :tup:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Pinnocks sucks. :tdown:

4 years of waiting for this dude to deliver and nada. He got popped for 'roids already and looks slower than a constipated dump. I think we need to cut our losses and search elsewhere for another Pinnock/LoNeal.

13. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

agree pinnock hasnt dont **** :tdown: And I think Mckinnley did a good job as well yesterday.

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    From what it appears, when Lo Neal retires, if Norv is still the HC, he's already intimated that he would go away from using a classic FB and instead employ a typical tailback and H-back set.

Classic, bruising FB like Lo Neal, Mack Strong, and even Mike Alstott, aren't being produced in the college ranks anymore.

It's easier to find a WR/TE tweener to be an H-Back. The bigger size also allows them to do blocking for the TB.

Hello Legedu Naanee!

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I did not know Norv felt that way but it makes sense.

Legoland was no where to be seen. :icon_shrug: I am looking for that dude to show something in pre-season.

16. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    That sucks because I love the FB position.

17. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I say just move Manumaleuna to FB if we have to. They put him there already on occasion. Then Chandler would have more playing time. If we have to we can also use the Griffeth guy; he's a 300 lb. TE too.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    There were motioning Manu's fatass all over the backfield and across and seeing a dude 300 pounds lumbering with the ball is sheer laughter. They have to get an iso on the poor bastard's eyes tackling Manu over the middle. :icon_eek:

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I bet the Rams ewes in the stands were asking "why the frack did the coaches let him go" after he made several plays last night.

Especially since Manu could have been used in Linehan's power-running offense the way he was used by us last year.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    One word: Pendejos

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If they did put him back there, he'd be a legit receiving threat and a nice battering ram on short yardage, either carrying or clearing a path.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't know much about Gross and it's sad that he was injured but I don't believe he had a real role on this team as a key player. I do see AJ working out something with MT in order to keep him in the stable. We can't let that guy go.:bolt:

23. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Man, that's real wishful thinking. Why da hell would Turner want to stay here to be LT's backup? It's not fair to him, his family, or his legacy as a player. To me, he would be wasting his talent and potential by being a fill-in, when he could legitimately start somewhere else, make very good money, and maybe make probowls. Look at Priest Holmes, he could've been stuck behind Jamal Lewis in Balt. Before his injury, he was a top 3 runner. Turner has a great chance at doing this. At the very least, he could be a solid platoon guy or something and get much more money. I love the guy, but he's an idiot if he stays for less money to be a backup.

Gross could be groomed to take over Turner's role. I don't think he's the "up the middle big back" like Turner, which is ideally what we want, but he could be for all I know. Then there's Sproles and Pinnock, which all together might be able to do the job. We don't need a superstar sub like Turner, just guys who can fit the role well.

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Franchise him and then trade him to the NFC so we won't have to deal with him.

25. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    My wife dislocated her knee cap in '05 but no torn tendons. She was in quite a bit of pain and it took three days to get her to a doctor.

26. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Watching the look on Tyronne's face was real tough. I feel bad for the guy, and I hope this doesn't end his chance of making the team.

27. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    My thinking is that they IR him and let him compete for the #2 RB spot next offseason.

28. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Anyone catch the article yesterday that said the Chargers were "relieved" when they learned that Gross had "only a dislocated kneecap?" Only?

29. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I guess things could have been worse