1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GRUDEN FIRED!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Jan 16, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And now I should throw in... clueless!!!! :yes:

And you are a tool. You belong to the Village People!!! :yes:

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    AJ won't get rid of Norv. Even if it means this team regressing to an 8-8 record in the worst division in the league!!

He'll **** over LT before he even looks Norv's way. The proof is NOW!!

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    What happens if LT stays? Or if AJ uses the money from cutting/trading LT to re-sign Rivers and Merriman?

I want LT to stay but to just say getting rid of LT is stupid, isn't really fair since you don't know what he'll do with that cap money and what he'll do to replace LT.

Personally unless AJ is planning to re-sign Rivers, Merriman, VJ, and get some stud FA with all that cap space I want us hanging onto LT (hopefully he'll restructure so we can do that anyways).

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

If it reaches that point, we'll talk.
    Though I think it's messed up that Norv's job is secure and LT's isn't.

5. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    LT would have been safe if his cap number wasn't so high. It always seems to come down to money. If LT was only getting 5 mil or something like that we wouldn't be hearing any of this talk about him getting cut or traded.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Who made it that high?

7. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    LT, his agent, Spanos, and McGuire? But most deals are backloaded.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

What about AJ, himself?

With that said, it's not like LT didn't earn that money either.

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    Coming from Goth Fabio, I consider that a compliment! :lol:

10. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't think AJ designs the contracts, I'm sure he might have some input, but I can't say for certain.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I'd like to see us get a Muncie, Means type guy to eventually replace LT. I'm just hoping LT restructures his deal and understand he ain't 22 no more.:bolt:

12. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...And BINGO!! We have a winner :tup: The coaching carousel will continue throughout the league. Top candidates will get hired by other organizations to replace THEIR Norvs and we'll be stuck clinging to ours...just BECAUSE :icon_shrug:

13. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    after Norv wins his 3rd straight AFC West title and wins playoff games and becomes the Chargers all time most winning playoff coach there will be no logic to fire him

14. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...And it could be more of an example of either previous Charger ineptitude, coaching ineptitude or both :icon_shrug: Even Sid Gillman won only one AFL Championship. Look at the long list of buffoons who have held the reins for this organization. Only Gillman, Coryell, Ross, Marty and now Norv have even coached play-off caliber teams. The present team has underacheived, been ill-prepared and just lacked the confidence or fire to take the next step. Some of this blame obviously needs to trickle down to the coach. Marty and the entire team mentally self-destructed in that play-off game after their 14-2 season. Marty was the only one who got the axe or even took the blame. I'm not saying I liked Marty and would have preferred he stayed. In no way did I want Norv here to replace him though and in no way do I want him here now. He inherited a 14-2 team. He's since gone 11-5, 8-8 and won 3 play-off games. Two wins over the Colts, a team the Bolts match up well against and one against a crippled Titan team with Vince Young at QB. Who's to say someone else couldn't have taken the Bolts farther? His survival as head coach is more a product of the weak AFC West, the pathetic Donkie collapse and some Darren Sproles magic than his superior coaching talents.

No one knows if Gruden would be the answer or any of these other OCs or DCs who are currently taking jobs elsewhere. Still you can't help but wonder because some of those new coaches have leadership skills, command respect and will bring their new teams up. I have no doubt about that. Let's see how Norv does when what has been generally perceived as one of the most talented teams in football, has to start addressing potential free agent departures, cap problems and even questionable personnel moves.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sure. Who needs a Super Bowl title. Only loser fans want that!!! :rolleyes:

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,209
    Meaning?

17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    Realistic fans understand that only one team wins the Super Bowl each year. While they would like their team to be the one who does, they also understand that treating anything other than a Super Bowl win as abject failure is just stupid.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree but nothing is more retarded than pimping out your team over an 8-8 season. Donks had an 8-8 season too. Should that be a season to remember?

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Who exactly is "pimping out" the team?

20. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I also have to ask "who's pimping out the season?" Most people agree that 8-8 is not that good at all and would like to see it better but ya know what, I think the fact they even made it to 8-8 is spectacular considering where they were in November. Sure, I think it is an awful record, as it is .500 but they had to win out to get it and I'm proud of the team for doing just that.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You. Yes, you have called me out before because I said "I want this era to end with a Super Bowl victory."

I can't remember the exact words but it was one of your stupid rants about die hards vs. bandwagoners.
    Yup... that's me. I bought my season tickets in 2000 because they were winning. :rolleyes:
    First thing I wanted to do when I moved here was buy season tickets. God knows, the Leaf era had my all psycked up!!!:rolleyes:

BOTTOM LINE... If they were still sucking, they'd still be my team. I just hate to see an opportunity like this go to waste!!! We'll never see a team loaded with this much talent again?

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I've been attacked several times for saying "the wins over the Donks and Ponies were fun and gave us a reason to smile but were really just lipstick on a pig."

Like I've said before "we should have never been in a 4-8 situation to begin with."

23. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    much agreed, but why not lipstick on a pitbull? xD

24. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    hell yeah bud, i totally agree, 8-8 was probably the hardest thing ive seen this team try to pull off, i mean i never QUIT on them becaues quite honestly am addicted, im a die hard, but i had my doubts, i said they were still in it mathematically, but out of it by tendency

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    See, here you go again. You make accusations, when someone questions you on it, you change the subject. Typical B4L rhetoric. Talking out of your *** and never backing it up with anything other than your own psychotic thoughts.

Again, I ask, who exactly is "pimping out" this season?

26. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Enlighten? :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  27. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288

B4L is saying IF we had a better coach we NEVER would have been 4-8 :yes:

It's his Norv hating coming out in EVERY thread he posts in :yes:

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    + He thinks LT coached this team to 8 wins, but had nothing to do with the 8 losses. :lol:

29. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    So B4L is not talking about the firing of Gruden what so ever but wants to talk about something entirely different than what is needed. The firing of Jon Gruden.

Lets talk about the firing of Jon Gruden. This inquiring mind would like to know. :icon_shrug:

30. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Gruden was fired because he hasn't won a playoff game since winning the Superbowl.

Allen was fired because he was only brought in as part of the new regime.

There was a growing resistance in the locker room, too.

Once Kiffin decided to leave, the team's defense collapsed, the entire team fell apart down the stretch, and they missed the playoffs.

Also, Raheem Morris (New HC) was the heir apparent to the HC position and the owners were afraid they'd lose him. He's a young guy and seems to have the respect of the players.

We'll see how it all shakes out.

Some players think Gruden is a backstabber. The evidence from this season suggests that's true. His play for Favre backfired on him prior to the start of the season, too.

That kinda' shiit catches up to you eventually.