1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GRUDEN FIRED!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Jan 16, 2009.

1. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288

Gruden never really had a QB. So this really doesn't come as a surprise. Then C.Williams never really got on track but I think that was due to the O-line. I think he will sit out a year before he comes back to coaching.

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    I don't think anyone is bragging about being 8-8, but I think people are rightly happy that the team rebounded and made the playoffs. And I think people are also pleased that once in the playoffs, we played a great game against a hot team, and came away with a victory. Why is that so hard for you to see?

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We've had two seasons under Norv and they both began with dismal starts. Eventually, a players only meeting was called and then they began to excel.

How do you explain that?

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I explain it by saying you have no fu(cking clue about what actually happens on a football field, or in a locker room, or during film session, or during coaches meetings, etc.

You're a scoreboard watcher. A propaganda artist. You only know what shows up in the papers.

Talk about "us" buying what the media serves. :rolleyes:

You are pure comedy. Only... not funny. Get it? :icon_shrug:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Now that Gruden is available, I want him here... but I know that won't happen because AJ won't be able to make him into a puppet.

As for Gruden being fired... we'll see what becomes of the Bucs. The problem I see is that they never rebuilt after the Super Bowl victory.
    Understanding that all those players were lost to FA, retirement, cap room, etc. but sometimes a fresh start is needed.
    Time will tell if it was a good idea to fire Gruden or not.

With that said, Gruden did a great job with the Raiders too. Had Al not gone psycho, I think the Raiders might have won the 2002 Super Bowl.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Neither do you. But something must have gotten accomplished in the players only meeting, because we saw results on the field.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    WRONG.

Have you ever been in a Football team's "players only" meeting. :icon_shrug:

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Of course. I'm a former NFL QB!!! :rolleyes:

Again... we saw good results and progress on the field after the players only meeting. So who deserves that credit?

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    So I'll take that as a "NO".

10. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +913
    What if we switched towel services right before things turned around? Could you then say "we saw good results and progress on the field after the towel switch. So who deserves that credit?"

If that's all it takes, why don't they just get rid of all coaches on all teams and have players meetings to run stuff?

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If you could prove that the towels talked to them and got the chemistry and motivation going... you might have a point but it's not too likely.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

No. And neither have you.

Unless your going to talk about back in high school but that's hardly the same thing.

13. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +913
    Yet, you are unable to prove that LT's speech got the "chemistry and motivation going." How do you know they didn't listen to LT and think "so what?" That's right, you don't.

None of us knows why they started playing better. Maybe it was the coaches, maybe the speech, maybe they just all manned up and actually started playing better, maybe it was all of the above. But in your desperate need to continually bash the head coach, you automatically decided that it was the speech. That's fine, that's your opinion based on pretty much nothing, but OK.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    So you played in HS?

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    What's got into you? Going off and saying something sensible and all that. Geez, what's the world coming to?

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    How does a player's only meeting become a speech?? So LT said we're not the Raiduds and that made all the difference in the way they played??? If you believe that, I have some ocean front property on the moon for sale, real cheap.:bolt:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Again... how else do you explain the good results and progress we saw on the field after the players only meeting?

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I did. I didn't play on the high school team but I played in the recreational league.

Did you?

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Elaborate?

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yes... and then there's the timing.
    If we had it all together in the start, there wouldn't have been any slow starts.

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Can you prove this hypothesis?

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Great.

Me? Yeah. 12 years... through college. I've played for just about every type of coach you can imagine. From the worst to the best. Some good teams, some bad teams, and a couple of GREAT teams.

Football is football. And players only meetings are mostly a waste of time. NFL or otherwise.

In my experience, "Players only" meetings do very little good in helping a team play better. I'm sure LT wasn't the only one giving a "speech" in there. And if he was, then it wasn't the difference in those 4 games. More likely, the difference was him getting healthy and running like he can. Combined with a defense that started playing A LOT better.

These guys are being paid to do a job. I seem to recall AJ coming out at around the same time indicating that if people didn't do their jobs... they wouldn't have jobs.

Fear and greed are tremendous motivators. AJ employed the fear factor at around the same time that LT was utilizing the "salvage the season" factor.

LTs "speech" may have provided some spark last season when everyone was questioning the coaching change. But it certainly had little do with that onside kick bouncing our way in KC, or the Broncos, Raiders, and Bucs all sucking a/ss down the stretch... or the defense playing very well to close out the seeason. The gameplans were executed well. THAT'S IT. And Norv & his coaching staff came up with the gameplans.

But I guess if you wanna believe otherwise, then you'd better also be able to also assign him at least a portion of the blame for the 8 losses.

23. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Exactly how is Norv Turner a puppet for AJ Smith? :icon_shrug:

Please explain this for me. :unsure:

24. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This thread is about Jon Gruden being fired.

Not an AJ Smith and or Norv Turner wanting to be fired thread.

Let us talk about Jon Gruden being fired not talk about AJ Smith and Or Norv Turner possible future Firings.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Really?

26. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Screw Jon Gruden! :icon_rofl:

I wanna know how Norv is a puppet for AJ? :yes:
    Enquiring mind's wanna know!

:icon_tease:

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I'm going to follow this request.
    So all you that are asking me questions off the topic... take them else where and I'll answer them.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Thanks

29. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Let me think about it...

NO.