1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

GUARD MIKE WAHLE IS AVAILABLE

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

PANTHERS CUT WAHLE,

The Carolina Panthers released guard Mike Wahle and linebacker Dan Morgan today, the team announced on its web site.

"These were tough decisions because Dan and Mike have been valuable members of our team and have done everything we have asked of them over the years," said head coach John Fox in the team's statement. "They are both very dedicated to the game of football and earned the respect of everyone who worked with them."

Morgan was Carolina's first-round draft pick in 2001 out of Miami, and at one point looked like one of the league's most promising young linebackers. But injuries have derailed his career. He missed 13 games in 2007 with an Achilles injury and missed 15 games in 2006 because of a concussion. Although Morgan's 59 starts are the most for a linebacker in franchise history, he'll be remembered more for the games he didn't play: In seven seasons he missed 53 games.

Wahle was a high-priced free agent acquisition from Green Bay in 2005. He made the Pro Bowl that year and started all but three games for the Panthers in the last three years.

The two roster moves are expected to clear about $6 million in cap room.

- NEXT ARTICLE -

http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=30620

Panthers release Morgan, Wahle
    February 11, 2008
    Panthers.com

The Carolina Panthers have released linebacker Dan Morgan and guard Mike Wahle, the team announced Monday.

"These were tough decisions, because Dan and Mike have been valuable members of our team and have done everything we have asked of them over the years," said head coach John Fox. "They are both very dedicated to the game of football and earned the respect of everyone who worked with them."

Morgan, 29, missed the last 13 games of the 2007 season with an Achilles tendon injury after playing in only one game the previous year due to a concussion. The team's first-round draft choice in 2001, Morgan made 59 starts, the most for a linebacker in team history, and his 452 tackles rank third in franchise history.

He was selected to the NFC Pro Bowl team as a starter following the 2004 campaign when he recorded a career best 109 tackles. During the 2003 playoffs Morgan produced 57 tackles in four games, including a career-high 25 in Super Bowl XXXVIII against the New England Patriots.

Wahle, 30, started all 16 games at left guard last season. He signed with the Panthers as a free agent in 2005 and earned his first career Pro Bowl selection that year. In three seasons with Carolina, Wahle started 45 regular season games and three postseason contests. Prior to joining the Panthers, he played seven seasons with Green Bay.

Comments from Panthers general manager Marty Hurney

On releasing linebacker Dan Morgan and guard Mike Wahle: Obviously, this is a time of the year when we make difficult decisions, and these are certainly two of them. Dan has meant a lot to us. He’s an extremely talented player who has done everything we have asked and brought a dedication and commitment that you look for, but last year with the way things went and the emergence of Jon Beason, we felt that it was time to go in another direction. I can’t speak for Dan but I think he’s looking forward to continuing to play and maybe a change of scenery will be good, as well. You can’t say enough about Dan Morgan and how we feel about him. With Mike Wahle, again, another difficult decision. We’ve kind of decided that we’re going to change some things on our offensive line and rework that unit a little bit. Mike’s been here three years and has been very good for us. He’s a tremendous player. He made one Pro Bowl and was an alternate in another. It’s just one of those things where you make difficult decisions but you make them and move on. We did it at this time, as early as we could, for these guys’ sake and we wish both of them the best because they’ve certainly been tremendous for us.

On if Dan Morgan’s incentive-based contract last year was a last resort: I don’t think you do anything as a last resort, but obviously we did things and Dan came back and unfortunately it didn’t work out quite like he had hoped or we had hoped with his injury. But again, like I said, I think it just came down to how things went last year and with Jon Beason coming in we just decided that now was the time to make this move.

On if both cuts go down as post June 1 cuts: Yes.

On if the depth at guard and center influenced the decision to release Wahle: Not really. You just make decisions about which way you’re going to go and you have ideas about the makeup of certain positions and we just decided that this was the time to make this move. Obviously, having players like Ryan Kalil and some of the players we have there…certainly they’re some of the guys you look to, but I think that this was just looking at the overview of what we were going to do and we though this was the right time to make that move..............CON'T .........

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Erik works for me. He looks like one hard core mofo.

3. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    yah i would rather have goff over wahle and erik can learn some stuff from goff, erik looks like he is ready to kill someone

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It might have something to do with Wahle being in the ProBowl and proven. Goff is a good second stringer and if your boy outshines Goff, then line him up.

Erik is one brother I will be watching real hard this camp.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Scott Mrzucowski, the Polish Tank, for RG!

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm with you.

7. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Mooch has a better game then that guy that just collects a check. :yes:

Quality beef, three deep, fighting it out. How long until camp?

8. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I've been a fan of the Illustrated Man same as you. I'm stoked he'll be back in camp.

9. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Wahle is actually a pretty good player and the main reason he's getting cut is because Carolina is entering salary cap hell.

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Nice work Chispa. :lol:

The guy I want us to go after is Shaun Rogers from the Lions as some quality fat-boy beef behind Jamal.

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I hope AJ does sign a few FA's - it'll make it easier to guess who'll they'll draft.... :lol:

I'd be very surprised if Whale was brought in... :icon_eek:

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Dan Morgan would be a great fit in a 3-4 scheme, I'd love to see AJ take a look at him.

13. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    IIRC,.... poor guy has had his bell rung toooooo often.... some fear that one more concussion will turn out the lights forever...

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Doesn't fit out MO - Rogers is a real lazy player even though if he worked hard he'd be a superstar. Reports are that the Broncos want him :icon_tease: makes sense.

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Yeah well the Broncos need to find a QB first....... :icon_rofl:

16. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    They might as well go after a new coach while they're at it. Shanny has lost his edge.

17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    well hell they need to find an
    RB
    FB
    TE
    OT
    OG
    C
    DT (that doesn't suck or get in crimes)
    CB
    ILB