1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gwynn to be Inducted into Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Jan 9, 2007.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    They said on 1090 Sports Radio this morning that indeed, Mr. Padre got the call EARLY this morning that he was voted into the HOF.

There will be a News Conference at Petco Park at 12:30pm this afternoon and the public is invited. I would attend, but gotta work.

I tried to find an article that said this definitively, but couldnt find one yet. I cant get onto the internet again until sometime this afternoon, and know there will be articles by then.

I am so happy for Tony. He is The Man.

2. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Here's an article written in the North County Times before Tony got THE call:

Last modified Tuesday, January 9, 2007 12:10 AM PST

Gwynn maone base at a time
    [​IMG]
    By: SHAUN O'NEILL - Staff Writer
    SAN DIEGO -- In an era of heavy artillery, Tony Gwynn was a swordsman.

With his 30 1/2-ounce saber, he inflicted damage with the same inexorable certainty as the big bombers.
    Gwynn played baseball for the Padres the way he knew how, one base at a time. Hit after hit, base after base, year after year, he reduced pitchers to mere fodder. The cumulative results today are all but certain to put Gwynn in baseball's Hall of Fame.

It's the ultimate honor of his chosen profession. Around 11 a.m. today, a call will come from Baseball Writers Association of America secretary/treasurer Jack O'Connell to squash any remnant of doubt Gwynn still might have. It will become official: Tony Gwynn, Hall of Famer.

"What does it mean? The only word I can think of is validation," Gwynn said as the day approached. "I wasn't a big home-run, big RBI guy. I was really Punch and Judy, but I was very good at it.

"To me, there are certain things you have to do if you're that type of hitter. To get to the ultimate, to get to the Hall, would mean to me validation more than anything else. It means that what you did was worthy."

Gwynn, now 46 and the baseball coach at San Diego State, proved his worth during 20 major-league seasons, all in San Diego. He compiled 3,141 hits and finished with a career batting average of .338. He hit .300 in every season but his first, a testament to his consistency.

A poor defensive outfielder at San Diego State, where basketball was his primary sport, Gwynn honed that part of his game to the point that he won five Gold Gloves in right field. He was a running threat -- 319 stolen bases, including a season of 56 in 1987 -- before cartilage damage in his left knee and weight gain slowed him down.

"When you talk about Tony, you have to start with his talent," said Bruce Bochy, both a former teammate and manager of Gwynn, "both his ability to hit a baseball and his ability to play the game of baseball. He played great defense, ran the bases. A guy with that type of ability comes along only every once in a while, and we were fortunate enough to have him right here in San Diego.

"Along with that talent, you have to always talk about work ethic with Tony Gwynn. He continued to try to improve as a ballplayer. He never felt like he arrived as a hitter, as an outfielder, a baserunner. He was relentless in being the best baseball player he could. That's why he has eight batting titles and why he is headed for the Hall of Fame."

Make no mistake --- Gwynn set the Hall of Fame as a goal long ago. When he reached 2,000 hits in 1993 --- on Aug. 6, his mother's birthday --- he said it was a nice milestone but he wanted another 1,000. He knew that 3,000 was the gold standard for contact hitters. With 3,000 hits, Gwynn knew, his place in baseball history was undeniable.

He reached the magic milestone on Aug. 6, 1999, in Montreal. His mother, Vendella, was there to see it, another birthday gift from her middle son.

En route to the last 1,141 hits of his career, Gwynn earned four more batting titles and actually increased his batting average. Instead of succumbing to age, he became an even better hitter. Having displayed his ability to knock balls to left field for years, the left-handed-hitting Gwynn added a new dimension. Conversations with two hitting legends, Ted Williams, and, to a lesser extent, Stan Musial, convinced him that he could soon handle the inner portion of the plate without sacrificing coverage of the outer half.

"I had reached a point where I thought that was as good as I was going to get," said Gwynn, a longtime Poway resident. "Talking to those two gentlemen, they told me there was more there and I had to dig deep to get it. So I pushed myself a littler harder. I wanted to really understand what they were talking about. I came to realize they were right. I could become a more complete player."

Gwynn put their advice into practice, combined it with his use of video to hone his mental edge and soon become a hitter with no obvious weakness. He pounced on get-ahead fastballs. He out-thought crafty pitchers. He could stay back on pitches longer than almost any other hitter and still put the ball in play. He could swing at pitches out of the strike zone, yet rarely strike out.

At age 34, he batted .394 and was denied a run at .400 by a players strike. At age 37, he turned in this 1997 monster year: .372 batting average, 97 runs, 220 hits, 49 doubles, 17 home runs, 119 RBIs and a .547 slugging average. At age 38, he got his snapshot moment -- a homer off the facade of the top deck of Yankee Stadium in Game 1 of the World Series.

When his body finally failed him and his knee made him not much more than a pinch hitter, he still batted .323 and .324 in his 40s.

He was unique.

"There's not many times a hitter can go up to the plate and dictate the action," Gwynn said. "The pitcher has the ball. He knows what he wants to do. He knows how he's going to attack guys. But when I went to the plate, I flipped the script. I made it so I was dictating the action."

A generation of pitchers on the wrong end of Gwynn's swordsmanship would have to agree.

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    And Cal Ripken?

4. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313
    Gwynn was an awsome hitter, i loved to see him hit.

5. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    But he did not win 5 Gold Gloves for hitting

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,868
    Ripken's in as well.

McGwire's not

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,868
    |Votes| Pct.
    Cal Ripken Jr.| 537| 98.5
    Tony Gwynn |532 |97.6
    Rich Gossage |388 |71.2
    Jim Rice |346 |63.5
    Andre Dawson| 309| 56.7
    Bert Blyleven |260 |47.7
    Lee Smith |217 |39.8
    Jack Morris |202 |37.1
    Mark McGwire| 128| 23.5
    Tommy John |125| 22.9
    Steve Garvey |115| 21.1
    Dave Concepcion |74| 13.6
    Alan Trammell |73 |13.4
    Dave Parker |62 |11.4
    Don Mattingly| 54| 9.9
    Dale Murphy |50 |9.2
    Harold Baines |29 |5.3
    Orel Hershiser |24 |4.4
    Albert Belle| 19 |3.5
    Paul O'Neill |12| 2.2
    Bret Saberhagen |7| 1.3
    Jose Canseco |6 |1.1
    Tony Fernandez| 4| 0.7
    Dante Bichette |3 |0.6
    Eric Davis |3 |0.6
    Bobby Bonilla| 2| 0.4
    Ken Caminiti |2 |0.4
    Jay Buhner |1| 0.2
    Scott Brosius| 0| 0
    Wally Joyner |0 |0
    Devon White |0| 0
    Bobby Witt |0 |0

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,868
    You need 75 percent to get in.

With Sutter inducted last year Gossage and Lee Smith got snubbed.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Big congrats to Mr Padre, Tony Gwynn!!:tup: :icon_toast:

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    His interview is on ESPNNews now.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    And I am glad that both of them will go into the hall together, and that they are the only one's going in!

Both of them represented their Teams perfectly.

12. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Mr. Gwynn, its been such a pleasure watching you play for the Padres. I would only hope sometime in the future you consider a position with the organization. I am waiting for that day.

13. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Who?:lol:

Just kidding. I like Cal Ripken, too. But, with me, a long-time, diehard Padre fan, it's all about Tony the Gwynn.

There are videos of the call to the hall he got this morning and his newsconference, plus a photo gallery on the Padres Homepage:
    http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=sd

I have so many fond memories of attending games and watching him "go about his business". Went to a Team Workout once that was open to the public. He chatted, laughed and signed autographs for what seemed like forever.

14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I am a fan of baseball, and there wasnt to many player's I liked. Cal was one of the few that I liked. He didnt thump his chest like some of the others do. For him just like Tony, everything was for the "TEAM".

They dont make them like that anymore. Now everyone is in it for the $$$$$$$$$.

I am glad that Tony went in with the 7th highest ever vote count, but Cal beat him out by what 3 votes.

It shows that BOTH players have class, and were very well respected by everyone!

15. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Congrats to Tony.

I'll never forget the games at the Q, with the crowd chanting TO-NY TO-NY. Especially the 98 season, too bad the Padres didn't win a WS while he was on the team, maybe he'll get one as a coach in the future.