1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hal Hunter Named New OC

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Just announced on the Charger conference call. Hal Hunter will be the OC of the Chargers.

Great, another hire from within... how are supposed to expect a different outcome this year?!? Grrrrrr.

2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    why would you bring someone else in, they might have an idea that works. We continue to operate at a level that the owners are satisfied with, you dont need to produce: just say yes!

3. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Who cares who has the OC title. Norv is going to call all the plays anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    someone has to get the blame when it doesnt work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Oh, and Hunter was the Oline Coach

6. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +348
    What a complete surprise!

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    LOL who the hell would want to come here from the outside anyway? :coffee:

AJ, Norv, and everyone they hire are going to get fired in next years house cleaning.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Just please remind Norv how many downs, if there are time outs and above all else remind him on crucial drives which running backs are on the field!

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    #knewthiswascoming ;)

10. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I thought the cream was supposed to rise to the top. But here in Chargerville it's the 'crap' that rises to the top. Right Aj, Norv.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    He atleast LOOKS like a head coach lol
    [​IMG]

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It amazes me how many 'enlightened' Chargers fans assume this guy is a joke.

If you take time to look into his credentials you will see he is a seasoned coach and has held the OC position at the colegiate level... He has been around and has been part of this offense for 5 years...

Google is your firend... Unless you like looking like lemmings who follow the first negative post you see...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's also been questionable as far as developing our offensive line.

I doubt you'll find that through google. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How so? the last two years especially he has done a good job of moving players around and keeping the line together through injury... What is it you were expecting, turn Cleary into Mangold?

15. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Collegiate level OC position? Wake up, this is just an attempt to appease the hostile natives of S.D.! Badly thought out but an attempt none the less. Same old crap, different day!

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'll give Dean the benefit of the doubt right now as he may have seen the light. As his club sits today both AJ and Norv know what the score is, win or get the hell out. Dean has said repeatedly "changes have to be made" and they are going to wait until after the SB. We've already witnessed a few minor changes, as with any highly tuned machine a little tweak here and a little tweak there can cure a lot of ill's.

Before y'all go running off halfcocked claiming the world is coming to an end, sit back, kick your feet up and sit a spell. That big ole buck has got to cross you path sooner or later, hell the playoffs aren't even complete yet and y'all want to blow the whole damn thing up. Along come March, then get a looking to see what ain't happening grab your gun a go a running, we'll see you on the other side!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wow... Can you try this again in English so we can be part of your ravings? LOL...

So is it you feel that Collegiate level coaching in not applicable to the NFL, even though a vast majority of NFL Coaches come through the collegiate ranks, or what? And how exactly is promoting the OL coach to OC appeasing anyone?

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    It's hard to get overly fired up about this selection primarily because
    1) It's questionable how much input or whatnot an OC will have even granted that he will have more authority and power then Shelmon ever had
    2) The Chargers said from the get go they wouldn't be looking outside of the organization to fill the position, and they didn't really have anyone ready in the wings for this position
    3) Even if they did look outside its debatable who would come here with a staff and GM basically on death row

He seems to be a solid guy and we will see what happens in the future, but I'm not sure what'll come of this. We will have to see

19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I thought they hired this Hal:

2001_a_space_odyssey_hello_dave.jpg

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So basically you are saying you cant get fired up because we are ignorant of the facts. I agree. Does that mean by process of iliminatin that we call it 'crap floating to the top in SD' based on the same ignorance?

Also coaches will come to SD. Coaches will seek to enter the NFL where ever they can. Even one year of NFL experience opens the doors to other teams. Lets not be over melodramatic here...:rolleyes:

21. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Appearently English is not your primary language. Dean is totally out there with this latest debacle. If Dean was sincere about improving the teams chances next season he isn't showing it!

22. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Who would they hire from outside that would come in and be Norv's sidekick? Had to be internal and Hal is probably the most qualified. He's done a decent job with the line, especially as we have lost players. I think the line the last 5 games was better than all year and we only had Clary and Vazquez left. Dude will never be able to give clary faster feet. He teaches technique well. Clary is technically sound as a RT, but his skill\athletic level is low which is why he handles big dudes fine, but gets raped by speed rushers. I say give Hal a chance. Got to feel for a guy that gets a "Promotion" and then gets told to sit in the corner, shut up, and let me do your job.

• Like Like x 2
  23. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Yeah not to surprised they promoted within to be honest. Like many have said in this thread before, who is going to come in from the outside???

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Charlie Joiner would have been my choice if WE HAD TO choose from within. Choosing from within just shows how sad this organization has dropped to.

25. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    1. I'm not a fan of this move for reasons that are unimportant.
    2. You can be over dramatic or even melodramatic, but over melodramatic is a new one on me.
    3. Somewhat unrelated, Schotty gets fired after 14-2 while Caldwell gets fired after 2-14...the world is in balance.
    4. I've developed an affection for responding in list form.
    5. The draft is only 99 days away!

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    And you know this.... How? I mean do you know Hal Hunter or anyone else that has been brought in? If so give us the scoop. But if it is as I think it is, and you are just going to say everything that happens is bad and the sky is falling, lets end the conversation here because I have better things to do with my time. Mmmmkay bahbye.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Wasn't Harbaugh just a "collegiate level" HC before San Francisco hired him? ;)

28. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    A Head Coach is different than an Offensive Coordinator at any level. It does appear that you are comparing the two positions, yes? Does Bill Belichek (HC) =Clarence Shelmon (OC)? or better yet does Norv Turner (HC) = Norv Turner (OC)?

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Huh?......... I wasn't comparing the positions, I was remarking on the "collegiate level" comment.

30. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    This totally awesome. He's the best OC out there and there's no way he'll call up the gut plays or stupid interception plays. We are going to win the super bowl next year. Hail Hal the new savior!