1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hall of Fame Ballot announced

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Nov 27, 2006.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    McGwire goes on Hall ballot along with Gwynn and Ripken

ASSOCIATED PRESS

8:01 a.m. November 27, 2006

[​IMG]
    Associated Press​
    Tony Gwynn, Mark McGwire, and Cal Ripken Jr. headline the first-time candidates on the 2007 baseball writers' Hall of Fame ballot released Monday, sure to spark debate on Big Mac's place in history as the steroid era comes under renewed scrutiny.
    NEW YORK – Mark McGwire, Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. headline the first-time candidates on the 2007 baseball writers' Hall of Fame ballot released Monday, sure to spark debate on Big Mac's place in history as the steroid era comes under renewed scrutiny. Jose Canseco, whose book last year led to a congressional hearing on steroid use in baseball, also is on the ballot for the first time. Canseco said he used steroids along with McGwire when they were teammates.
    McGwire denied using illegal performance-enhancing substances, but when he appeared before a congressional committee, he evaded questions. “I'm not here to talk about the past,” was his repeated response.
    McGwire finished his career with 583 home runs, seventh in baseball history while Canseco, a former MVP, is 30th at 462. Dave Kingman, 34th with 442, has the most home runs for a player who has been on the Hall of Fame ballot and was not elected.
    Gwynn, an eight-time batting champion with San Diego, and Ripken, a two-time MVP with Baltimore, are considered likely to gain election on the first ballot. Ripken played in 2,632 consecutive games, breaking Lou Gehrig's record.
    Bret Saberhagen, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, and former MVP Ken Caminiti also are among 17 players on the ballot for the first time along with Harold Baines, Dante Bichette, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Eric Davis, Tony Fernandez, Wally Joyner, Paul O'Neill, Devon White and Bobby Witt.
    Jim Rice, who was 53 votes short of election last year, heads the 15 holdovers. Rich Gossage finished one vote behind Rice.
    Reporters who have been in the BBWAA for 10 or more consecutive years are eligible to vote, and the totals will be announced Jan. 9.
    The complete ballot:
    Harold Baines, Albert Belle, Dante Bichette, Bert Blyleven, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Ken Caminiti, Jose Canseco, Dave Concepcion, Eric Davis, Andre Dawson, Tony Fernandez, Steve Garvey, Rich “Goose” Gossage, Tony Gwynn, Orel Hershiser, Tommy John, Wally Joyner, Don Mattingly, Mark McGwire, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Paul O'Neill, Dave Parker, Jim Rice, Cal Ripken Jr., Bret Saberhagen, Lee Smith, Alan Trammell, Devon White, Bobby Witt.

[​IMG]
    The 3 pictures perhaps say alot about the men. TGwynn looks happy and a bit confident, MCGuire looks like "Steriods? ME? And I'm still on the ballot." Ripken looks all smug and self-assured.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good posting, Darlin...wonder if McG makes it, or if the voters are as turned off as many fans.

Some HOF'ers (Frank Robinson) don't want him in.

3. t.druann

t.druann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    McGuire: "duuuuhhhhh duhhh, I dun no what steroids awr."

I mean honestly, that is one bad picture.

4. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +313
    You have to vote them in unless there is hard evidence to prove that they did steroids.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,298
    predictions: Gwynn and Ripken are shoe-ins

McGwire doesn't make it here, but eventually finds his way in.

Caminiti has no real shot, but I bring him up because he's a former Padre.

• Like Like x 2
  6. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    T. Gwynn on radio at 5:40pm.

Mr. First Ballot Hall-of-Famer:tup: Tony Gwynn is due to be on Radio 1090 at 5:40 TONIGHT according to Darren Smith. I always love to listen to Tony talk. And I am sure he will have something interesting and intelligent to say.

Also, his laugh is infectious.:lol: I love it.

7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Leo that is my exact thoughts.

McGwire is going to have to wait a long time before he is considered Hall worthy. He might pass away before he is put in the Hall.

I would be shocked if either Gwynn or Ripken do not make it in the Hall. This time around. They will be in for sure the next time around.

8. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Tony was in a great mood. He said,"Its a huge honor. The Holy Grail of Baseball." He said when he started he never dreamed that he would be nominated. Tony said he was honored to be on the same ballot as many of the other men. Said he will be nervous(he shouldnt be) until the votes are counted and the winner is announced on January 9.

Tony said he would vote for McGwire for the Hall-of-Fame. He uses the angle of steroids not being against the rules during that time. Said he chose not to do steroids but others did, like McGwire, Canseco and Caminiti.

Darren asked about Gwynn going in as the first "pure Padre" and Tony, in his usual humble way, said that he feels like the first.
    He is Mr. Padre.

9. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Mark McGwire. Isn't he the dude that took Steriods with Barry Bonds

10. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I dont know or recall if I read anywhere they took them together.

McGwire went in front of a committee and all he said when questioned was "I dont want to talk about the past." So, he never fessed up.

Bonds has said, if I recall correctly, that he was given cream or something and he didnt know that it had steroids in it.