1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hall of Fame replaces Joiner’s bust

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Friday, Mar 13, 2009
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

When the wild fires that ravaged through San Diego County in 2007 destroyed the home of Charlie Joiner and his family, the Chargers’ wide receivers coach lost nearly every piece of memorabilia from Joiner’s Hall of Fame career.

Thanks to a generous gift from the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, Joiner recently had one special item replaced.

Last Sunday, Joiner was honored as the Junior Seau Foundation’s Legend of the Year and during the ceremony, Hall of Fame President and Executive Director Stephen A. Perry presented Joiner with a new replica of his bronze Hall of Fame bust.

“It was a great surprise and a very nice gesture from the Hall of Fame,” Joiner said. “Junior’s foundation put together a great event that I was honored to be a part of, and the gift (from that Hall of Fame) was a nice part of that.”

The Hall of Fame constructs two busts for each player upon their induction. One is given to the new member and one stays on display at the museum in Ohio. The replica bust Joiner received after his 1996 Hall of Fame induction was at his Rancho Bernardo home when it burned nearly a year and a half ago. Joiner counted the bust among his most prized possessions.

“I’d say it was number one or two,” Joiner said. “It was a nice bust. It was a nice memento, something I could look at and reflect back on some of the things I did in my life.”

In addition to the bust, the Hall of Fame gave Joiner a new copy of the commemorative photo he had taken on his induction day, a set of Hall of Fame crystal and some news articles from Joiner’s playing days. Perry heard about Joiner’s loss not long after the tragedy, and the Hall of Fame took the initiative to help Joiner recoup a few items that had been destroyed.

“He didn’t ask for any of them to be replaced,” Perry told The Associated Press. “He was just lamenting the fact he had lost all these things that were really irreplaceable.”

Joiner was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1996 following an 18-season playing career (1969-86) with the Oilers, Bengals and Chargers. He finished his career with 750 receptions, which was the most in NFL history at the time.

The Joiners are in the process of rebuilding on the same plot where their former home stood. Joiner expects to be moved into his new house in two to three months.
  2. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    :tup: Joiner has always been a class act and a hell of a football player.
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Charlie Joiner was Mr. 3rd Down. Fouts always knew where Charlie would be because he ran disciplined routes - always. Charlie lost a step toward the end but made up for this loss with savvy. Joiner, John Jefferson and Winslow .... those dudes rocked. To know we could have 3 WR go over a thousand yards each in the same season was :icon_toast::tup: .... can anyone say they feel we could do the same today with what we got at WR & TE?
  4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2006
    We used to call it ,3rd. and Joiner. :tup: