1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hallelujah! It's combine time!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Chispa, Feb 22, 2008.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I see your boy Dre' has made it to #5 in some circles...

my boy...

[​IMG]

my other boy...

[​IMG]

you ought to see my food bill...... :lol:

it's started.. who's got the SD Bolt Report..

"The NFL Combine is in full swing and the Chargers coaching staff wasted no time in grabbing a coveted offensive lineman for one-on-one time. Amberly Richardson reports from Indianapolis that the Chargers met with a tackle who can bring continuity to the line."

here's what the Chargers blog says:

When the Chargers drafted offensive tackle Marcus McNeill two years ago, it opened the door for Auburn offensive tackle King Dunlap to begin building his NFL resume as he assumed the starting left tackle job vacated by McNeill.

Dunlap now hopes to follow McNeill again, kind of.

“Hopefully (I’ll be) better,” Dunlap said. “Both being 6-9 and having long arms, I got that comparison (to McNeill) a lot down at Auburn.”

Dunlap, who Pro Football Weekly currently projects as a mid-round draft pick, is grateful for the relationship he developed with McNeill both on and off the field.

“I played behind him a couple years and we’re good friends,” Dunlap said. “We used to hang out and have a good time. I don’t get to see him much but I talk to him every now and then. Just watching and learning how to play the position. I watched him play the game and watched the techniques he used. He helped me learned the offense while I was waiting to play.”

*** maybe he'll be there at the Comp pick... yawn...

http://sdg.scout.com/2/731050.html

Other buzz-worthy highlights from Thursday:

-- The 2008 offensive tackle class was characterized by Pittsburgh Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert as the "best group I've seen in 24 years collectively" of scouting. Scouts circulating the RCA Dome agreed. Michigan's Jake Long, Boise State's Ryan Clady and Pittsburgh's Jeff Otah were each characterized as potential top 15 picks by scouts, with Long a consideration in the top five. History agrees with Colbert. As many as nine tackles (Chris Williams, Anthony Collins, Sam Baker, Gosder Cherilus, Carl Nicks, Oniel Cousins) could be drafted in the top two rounds -- more than selected over the top two rounds in any draft over the past 25 years.

**** afterthought...

let's see... AJ's trying to ink Hart long term @ safety, he's talking to a second day ROT, that leaves Sims for #27.... :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I never really liked combine time since its, unless your part of the GM's group, almost all about measureables and numbers. Not that I don't base alot of my personal opinions on measureables but still there never was anything that interesting to me to watching a bunch of guys bench press and run 40s. Just give me the data :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Hey Ron
    What do you know about King Dunlap besides that he's a freakin monster? I can't find much scouting report wise

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    he's a plodder.... but, if he gets his hands on ya, he'll lean on ya... definately a ROT... a bull rush doesn't generally work, but a quick DE with a spin move will have you yelling to PR - DUCK....:lol:

fwiw, I have him mid-to-late 5th on my value chart..... right where I would expect the Bolts to be interested...

he is huge... let's see if his feet have gotten better...

I'd rather protect PR with a Pro Bowler... those only/normally come in the first rd...

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Karnac says mid 3...
    [​IMG] :D

6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I didnt see where it said the OT was a 2nd day guy and the article on Dunlap didnt say they were talking to him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    my boy did good...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/02/23/combine/index.html

Combine Risers & Sliders
    Michigan's Long shows he's top offensive lineman

Risers
    Jake Long, OT, Michigan: Long looked every bit the part of a top-five pick. He led all offensive linemen completing 37 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press, then ran his 40's in the 5.15 second range. Long went on to display outstanding footwork during the position drills and was head and shoulders above everyone else.

Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska: Nicks displayed his athletic side, running his 40's in the low 5.10 second range after completing 31 reps on the bench. He also looked very solid during the drill session showing solid footwork and movement skills.

Breno Giacomini, OT, Louisville: Giacomini, a former tight end, ran his 40's in the 5.10 second range then put in a terrific workout during position drills. He displayed quickness all morning and looked solid during pass protections exercises.

Duane Brown, G, Virginia Tech: Brown was one of the most athletic linemen on the field. He turned in 40 times right around the five second mark and looked sensational in the drills. Brown was fast and fluid in all the position specific drills and turned a number of heads.

Jeremy Zuttah, G, Rutgers: Zuttah will undoubtedly come away from the combine as one of the biggest winners on the offensive line. After weighing in at 303 pounds, he completed 35 repetitions on the bench then ran both his 40's under five seconds. He carried that momentum to the drill session where he performed well.

Mike Pollak, C, Arizona State: Pollack was another big winner as he too clocked in under five seconds. The center also completed 29 reps on the bench, much better than expected. Late in the morning he looked terrific in position drills.

Heath Benedict, OL, Newberry: Benedict was swift running the 40, cracking the five second mark with a best time of 4.93 seconds. He later showed well during pass protections drills when simulating a left tackle.

John Sullivan, C, Notre Dame: Sullivan is trying to make up for a poor senior campaign and did well in Indianapolis. He displayed terrific quickness and explosion through the midday workout and had some of the best footwork of any linemen in attendance.

Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt: Williams ran surprisingly fast, clocking under five seconds on a number of stop watches. He then looked terrific during the practice session and has likely solidified himself as a first-round choice.

Sliders
    Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh: Otah was lead-footed most of the morning and had an ineffective day. He ran both his 40's slower than 5.5 seconds then lumbered around the field during the position drills. Otah has been suffering from an ankle injury, which was part of the problem.

there ya go Ant... Dunlap was nearly lapped... a plodder indeed... and a weak one at that...

King Dunlap, OT, Auburn: Dunlop measured 6-foot-8 and 310 pounds, yet put up a paltry 21 repetitions on the bench press. He ran one 40 in a time of 5.35 seconds before sitting out the rest of the day with an injury.

Chad Rinehart, G, Northern Iowa: Rinehart ran his 40's in the 5.4 second area then looked just as slow during the practice session. He displayed limited quickness and explosion in blocking drills.

Corey Clark, OT, Texas A&M: Clark was another who struggled to get below the 5.4 second mark then looked sluggish during drills. He displayed limited footwork and showed marginal punch with his hands.

Notes: Ryan Clady of Boise State was the only sure fire first-round lineman not to workout. He cited the cause as an injury he suffered during training which had not healed. ... Bowling Green center Kory Lichtensteiger took part in the running workout and practice sessions but that will be all the working out he'll be doing for a while. Unbeknownst to him, Lichtensteiger played part of last season with a torn labrum, an injury discovered immediately after the Senior Bowl. He chose to participate at the combine on a limited bases then will have surgery next week. The rehabilitation could shelve him for up to four months. ... Tony Hills, the highly rated offensive tackle from Texas, fractured his leg in October, which kept him on the sidelines the rest of the year. His recovery is going well and Hills will workout for scouts during the Texas pro day in late March.

8. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Did they measure his arms yet? :lol:

Im just curious what they come out to be so i can continue to believe Mayock or not :icon_tease:

9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I haven't seen those stats, and candidly I don't care... you hang your hat on what Mayock says...:icon_huh: puhlease...

that picture above is not enough for you??? that's a college DE that's getting mauled... and his arms look long enough for me... :lol:

I've almost given up hope we'll get Williams anyway... he's gone from 35-ish pre senior to around 12, and before it's over could be the second OT drafted... Clady can't get on the field (he fits only Donky blocking schemes anyway), and Otah's lack of feet has him falling... Nicks looks to be his only competition and he need's some development time, but he is good...

besides, AJ's looking at late round scrubs for depth - he's gonna end up getting PR killed...

I gotta go find out how my other fat boy did...

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    As a VT fan, I was pleased with Duane Brown's workout. He's worth a look by us, especially if we trade down to garner more picks.

11. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont hang my hat on anything.

He said he had short arms, you say he didnt. Im just curious because short arms = not good for a OT in the NFL.

Im still liking Cherilus for #27 at this point. Warming up to Brandon Albert to play RT.

BTW...the college DE in that picture is a 229 lb sophomore ( Jermaine Cunningham)

12. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    24 and 23 are pretty week though for an OL
    I'm liking what I'm seeing from Carl Nicks

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/02/23/combine/index.html?eref=T1

Risers
    Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska: Nicks displayed his athletic side, running his 40's in the low 5.10 second range after completing 31 reps on the bench. He also looked very solid during the drill session showing solid footwork and movement skills.

Sliders:
    King Dunlap, OT, Auburn: Dunlop measured 6-foot-8 and 310 pounds, yet put up a paltry 21 repetitions on the bench press. He ran one 40 in a time of 5.35 seconds before sitting out the rest of the day with an injury.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    These guys get much stronger once they get a chance to work with the NFL strength & conditioning coaches. I look more for attitude, build, quickness, durability, and desire.

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    225 is a baseline test, this is what they can do in college, so you have to think how much more can he truly be built up

Besides I want POWER from my OL, the power to go toe-to-toe and handle 300lb + defensive linemen

16. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    a direct quote...

02/23/08 - Not doing bench press - "During the season I broke two bones in my left hand so I'm just going to wait for Pro Day to reach my peak (March 10).

17. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321