1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hands Free or else!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Concudan, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,192
    Today in California the new law takes effect. If you are driving and talking on a cell phone without a hands free device, you can get a ticket.:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  2. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +342
    But you can look down and text all you want - go figure:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,906
    good.

I wish every state would enact this law.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,906
    You should be able to get a ticket for that as well

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I've used a hands-free device for years, and recently switched to a Jaw Bone!! :tup:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cell phones shouldn't be used in a moving vehicle - period! I have a friend who nearly died thanks to a careless cell phone user/driver.

Pull over to talk.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Well...if your phone has a speaker phone function you can set it down and talk that way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,906
    I have no problem with using a cell phone while driving if you have a hands free device.

With that it's no different than talking to the passenger in the front seat, only you're not tempted to glance over at him or her on occasion mid-conversation.

If you're going to argue that one shouldn't talk on the cell phone, period, while driving, logic only dictates that you should argue that one shouldn't talk....period....while driving to anyone, passengers included.

The reason cell phone use shouldn't be allowed without a hands free device is because it takes away one of your hands that should be used for driving and takes your concentration off the road because you're concentrating on holding the cell without dropping it.

9. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,019
    I've been using an old Motorola H7, but a buddy of mine over in La Mesa has me convinced that my next one will be a jaw bone. Tested the noise cancellation feature and could NOT tell when he was talking while driving nor standing in front of his TV with it on. GOOD stuff! :tup:

My only reservation was he sounded a bit loud (and possibly over-bearing) when he switched on the noise cancellation mode, where his normal speaking voice is relatively quiet and unassuming. I turned down the volume on my cell and he softened his voice a bit and it sounded like he was in my living room. Just something to be aware of/test in case it isn't just HIS that does that. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,626
    what's a jaw bone?

11. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,019
    That works to a degree, but doing so drains battery power dramatically and your phone will be introducing any background noise in your vehicle to the other party's discomfort. Speakerphone mode opens you up to every noise in the room/vehicle serving as a distraction to your communication. I recommend a bluetooth headset with noise cancellation available on the transmit side.

I do NOT like the relatively inexpensive corded variety - they are unhandy and open you up to getting tangled while driving. (I tossed ours a few years ago for just that reason).

12. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Actually it is Jawbone - they run about 75 bucks at present, but you might be able to beat that price. (We weren't talking about the one of an *** mentioned in the old testament. :D)

Like I was saying in a previous post, that will be my "next" headset if/when the old Motorola breaks or disappears. :)

13. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I picked up the BlueAnt today, it works great. :tup:

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    There's s'posedta be a smaller version of the Jawbone out, but I haven't seen it. Folks that I talk to say there is no ambient noise, which is quite an improvement from the previous Bluetooth devices I've used.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I haven't found a hands free device that will work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    I've got this BlueAnt model on the way.

One thing to remember if you get a speakerphone model for the car, make sure it will pair with more than one phone. This is a must have feature if your wife or someone else drives your car and they have their own cell phone.

From what I've read, there will be a one month grace period to adapt to the new law.

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I have been using this one for over a year now. Got it on ebay for $24

[​IMG] Nokia BH-200

I am always told they cant tell the difference when im talking to them with that or just the phone. Love it when driving. It is so much easier to talk than trying to hold the phone to your ear.

I do not like to wear it when im walking around tho. I think all ear pieces look stupid, but they are much better than holding the phone.

I just hold the button in for a few seconds and then say a name in my phonelist and it dials it for me which is great when im driving.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,192
    Problem is it is not the cell phone. It is the driver. The same person will reach down for things, read while driving, shave etc.. It is not the cell phones.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,619
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That might work out for Shammie :icon_eek: :yes: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,906
    Damn it, you beat me to it.

I was waiting till I got home to post it because I don't like chancing Google image searches at work. :lol:

22. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Bastage .... :lol:

23. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Shammy no like BFISA "exposing" his "secrets". :D

24. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    F*ck the Communist state of California! :yes:

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,192
    We d have a bear and red star... :lol:

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    ...or a Hammer and Syckle :icon_eek:

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,906
    So you think it's ok for people to distract themselves from the road by using a cell phone without a hands free device?

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,192

Sure why not? If you cant chew gum and walk at the same time then that is your problem. Is the next step to tell me I cant converse with someone in my car because that will distract me?

It is the individual driver, not the cell phone. No two ways about it. People who are easily distracted will continue to be from: music, makeup, reading, talking, looking at other things etc....

That is not changing. Think about it logically, then take a stand. If you talk in the car, or sing along to music in the car, that is the same thing as talking on a cell phone. End of story.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,906
    Your logic would fly if chewing gum and talking with the passengers in the car also took away the use of one of your hands that should be used for driving.

And if they did, they too should be ticketed, but they don't.

This law doesn't tell you you can't talk on the cell phone, it tells you you can't talk on the cell phone without a hands free device, therefore your comparisons don't hold water.

30. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'm Italian, I talk with both hands! :icon_rofl:

Just curious,
    Do you drive with your hands at 12 and 2 like what was taught in drivers ed? Do you change the station on the radio or cd while driving? Pick your nose? :icon_shrug: