1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hands Free or else!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Concudan, Jul 1, 2008.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,896
    I don't really do the 12-2 thing but I use both hands :icon_shrug:

Changing the station takes a second or two, using the cell phone takes up the length of the conversation if you don't have a hands free or don't use the speaker. They hardly compare.

Besides, it's not just taking a hand away that's the problem. Conentrating on holding the thing to your ear and not dropping it takes a lot more concentration away than simple discussion without the use of one of your hands on the cell phone does.

Sure, there are people who can perform the task adequately without it distracting them from the road, but there are many more who can't.

Is it really that much of a pain in the *** for you to get a hands free device so that we can try and prevent those that aren't capable of doing both at once from causing accidents and unnecessary traffic hold ups?

2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Actually, it is. :yes:

I don't like things in my ears. Bluetooth looks absolutly stupid.
    Why should I have to spend money on something I don't want or need?

BTW, I rarely use my cell while driving.

There's enough stupid people out there driving. Why can't something be done about them instead of making something uniform for everyone? :icon_shrug:

3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Is the use of your cell phone so important that you can't suck it up or wait the short time it takes to wait til your trip is over?

Something is being done and you're complaining about it.

What do you suggest they do? Run driving tests to determine whether or not someone is capable of adequately talking on the cell while driving?

I prefer to prevent accidents, not react to them.

4. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432

I'll bite!

I say we make it illegal to have a cell phone inside the passenger area of any vehicle! They need to be just like on a airplane. :icon_shrug:

Are your phone call's so important that you have to be tied to it?

Give me a break!

I've got an even better idea! Let's get rid of all of the automobiles! :icon_rofl:

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Going to ridiculous extremes does nothing to prove your point.

next?

6. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Whatever!

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    It does. All of your arguments are about distractions. Do you ever drive with one hand on the wheel. That should mean someone should be ticketed?

Wow! Guess stick drivers are in for a treat... What a crock.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    I actually drive with two hands. Perhaps you should read on.

Quit coming up with asinine comparisons.

It takes all of two seconds to shift gears.

That hardly compares to holding the phone to your ear for 5+ minutes.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Asinine comparisons? Why don't you stop trying to dictate what people do? Try that.

Because you cant concentrate on driving and talk at the same time does not me I cant.

Oh yeah, stop getting emotional as well.

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,355
    Funny how they've gone after cell phone users...but what about these idiots who drive with their DOGS in their laps? :tdown:

I'm not upset with the law, really. As I've said earlier in this thread, I've got a good speakerphone coming. I do enough driving to have seen more people who CAN'T talk and drive at the same time.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    It's an asinine comparison because the two actions hardly compare.

I'm sorry you can't handle the fact that you came up with an inadequate comparison, but you did.

And if you're still talking about concentrating on driving and talking at the same time you're obviously not even bothering to read my responses to you, so there's really no point in continuing the conversation with you.

And I'm hardly getting emotional.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Hell I see people who should not be driving at all.

I see a lot of things MUCH more dangerous than talking. The law is a hollow act that will not greatly reduce any accidents from distracted drivers.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Good then, go preach elsewhere...

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    You failed to counter a single point and resorted to baseless insult.

I consider my arguments to be successful.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    But, since I just now realized you bolded the portion of my post that stated there's no use in continuing the conversation, that was stated because it became obvious to myself that you obviously weren't even paying attention to my responses...in other words, you're being pretty closed minded on the subject.

I have no problem with people talking and driving, therefore your arguments on that matter are meaningless.

I have a problem with most people removing the use of one of their hands while driving.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    There is no insults. Also each point was countered, but as usual you cant see any other point of view. Yeah, I am used o that from you, so no hair off of my back.

Your arguments are asinine to you a word you like to toss around. If you actually believe this law will reduce accidents by any large amount, you are extremely simple minded. Accidents were around long before cell phones. One handed or two.

Drivers who are easily distracted will have accidents without cell phones. A act you have not been able to refute in your haste to pat yourself on the back and claim some grand victory...

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    That is just too damn bad. There is no law that says people have to use two hands while driving. Sorry that you have not been voted dictator yet. You keep having a problem, because it IS YOUR problem, not anyone else's...

You will find most people do not use two hands while driving. Cell phones or not.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Telling me to "go preach elsewhere" is an insult, even if it wasn't intended as such.

I saw your point of view, I simply countered it with sound logic.

You are the first one to change the subject away from the actual debate.

Other actions causing accidents are irrelevant to whether or not other accidents are or are not caused by someone distracting his or herself by using the cell phone while driving.

I have not refuted it because I don't need to.

Whether or not these people would end up in accidents for other reasons is irrelevant to whether or not they'd be in one due to distracting themselves with taking away one of their hands by using a cell phone.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    It'll be your problem if a family member ends up dying because some idiot was focusing on holding the cell phone to his or her ear while driving.

(that hasn't happened to me, thankfully)

If you're using one hand but not using a cell phone you're not directing concentration to holding the phone to your ear, so even if you're using one hand but you're not on the cell phone it's not quite the same.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Blah blah blah..

Get over yourself already.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    Here you go again with the refusal to counter arguments and resorting to baseless insults.

Going to tell me "nanny nanny boo boo I can't hear you" next?

22. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Keep voting the way you do and you'll get exactly that. :icon_tease:

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Yeah I would have a problem if a family member died... Great bit f debate there champ...:unsure:

So now you dont have a problem with people driving with one hand. You are back to having problems with people talking while driving.

Again, I guess you are going to have to just deal with it...

24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good ****, y'all :rolleyes2: :icon_rofl:

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    It is, I'm glad you concede

You're obviously not paying attention

I wouldn't have to deal with it if I was in California cuz they're doing the right thing.

We're both going to have to deal with it, because it's now law in Cali and it's not in Arkansas.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    I cant counter the stupid takes you post, because all you want to do is keep posting more stupid takes and claiming your grand internet victories while ignoring any of the points given...

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    I'm not ignoring anything, I'm just providing counter-arguments.

I'm sorry if you can't handle it.

You were the first to take the discussion away from the subject and direct it towards meaningless BS.

And you are the only one that seems to want to direct it that way.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Yeah your the greatest... Pat yourself on the back.
    You know how to toss around snide statements and act like you are something special.

Your counter arguments are rudimentary, obtuse and quite stupid. They break down to you not liking people driving with one hand. Whoooidy doo... When you are the dictator you can dictate to people. Until then it is just obtuse hot air from you.

Meaningless BS is all this is so long as you want t keep crying about you not liking other people enjoying the freedoms of this nation.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,896
    My counter arguments are meant to be nothing more than defense and reasoning to support my viewpoint.

You seem to be the one who can't handle someone else's opposing opinion here.

I offer logic and reasoning to explain my opinion. You may or may not agree with said logic and reasoning, but it's just that none-the-less.

You offer "yeah, shut up, go preach elsewhere!" "quit crying!" "you can't handle my opinion!"

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Great job of continually calling the pot black. No matter how many times you post it, does not make it fact... keep trying though.