1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Happiness Is More Than Winning

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Jan 19, 2008
    ...One thing is becoming crystal clear..it takes more than winning to make a player happy. Look at the mass exodus from the SB champion Gnats. Look at Moss and his hesitation to sign in the place that brought him back to life and almost a place in history. Now look at San Diego :yes: Sure we'll lose some players because they'll receive more money or playing time elsewhere. But Gates re-signing for under market a couple years ago, Dielman shunning Seattle for the chance to return and now Volek's decision makes it clear that this is a nice place to be. San Diego's living invironment, the team chemistry, coaching staff and winning standards have elevated this team to one of the elite teams to play for. That in itself should make all of us very happy. :abq2:
  2. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think it is happiness is more than money. I think all players are wanting a SB ring more than anything. The mass exodus from the SB champion Gnats is because they have the ring. That is why a lot of Charger players have resigned etc. The Chargers is the team that gives them the best chance to get that ring. :yes:
  3. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Nov 26, 2006
    One of the reasons AJ loves continuity. It builds friendships... players don't want to leave their friends behind sometimes. Even then, the business side always comes back to bite them when the front office decides one of their friends is not needed anymore. However, the stronger the house, the harder it is to break down.

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    Very well said!!! :tup:

Though Gridreaper did bring up some points. I think it IS all about the winning. Sure there are other good things about playing for San Diego but nobody wanted to be here in 99.
  5. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Jul 10, 2006
    Not only are we a good bet to get someone a ring real fast, we're built to last and will compete at a championship level for the next 4 or 5 seasons at least....

There could be more than 1 ring in our near future, with our young, deep roster we may just take 2 or 3 before LT & company are done!
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Aug 15, 2006
    All some guys care about is getting paid, period. They got their ring, now it's time to get paid. If they were SMART, they'd stay with the team they just won it all with and have a greater shot at repeated success.

MOss on the other hand, I totally understand why he's leaving the Pats (if he ultimately does): They won't pay him what he's worth. They want him to take a MASSIVE hometown discount, and after the season both Moss and Brady had as a tandem, you'd think the Pats would be willing to pay a little bit more to keep their franchise happy (Brady), and Moss happy. Nope. They are arrogant enough to think that if Randy doesn't play for less to be a Patriot then he doesn't deserve to be a Patriot.

Pats arrogance is gonna cost 'em if Moss bails, which I totally hope happens.

As for our guys, I have to give all the credit to AJ for not only finding gys who can play, but have the perfect attitude for what we are building here w/ these Chargers. That's why guys want to be a part of it, because they all have the same goals in mind, they all have similar dispositions, they are not selfish greedy bastards who only want to get what's coming to them. When one of those me only guys surfaces, AJ let's him walk.

AJ is one of the best evaluators of not only the skills a player possesses but how a guy thinks, which is a rare gift.
  7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    I have had similar experiences-waking up in the morning and seeing something that scared me half to death staring me in the face.
  8. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    Beer goggles are crystal clear when the sun comes up.....
  9. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Good stuff. Don't forget, Derek Smith was dying to come here, and he had some great things to say about our organization. Shaun Phillips also could've left for bigger money too. He wouldn't be the "Other Guy" on Denver or Cincinnati, for example.