1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hard Knocks? Hell No!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    Boltz are considering appearing on the HBO documentary show “Hard Knocks” in 2014.
    A.J. Spanos sez: “No doubt,” he said. “We’ve talked to other teams that have done the show and gotten feedback on how it’s helped them. Business-wise, every team has been helped by being on the show.”
    Hey A.J. ! You know what really helps an NFL team business-wise? Field a winning team and make it deep into the playoffs. Play in the Super Bowl. End San Diego's drought and win the Super Bowl.
    Leave the buffoonery to others more desirous of short-term attention getting and use the energy you would have expended to build a better team.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,511
    That's A.G. Spanos.........just saying. ;)

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Did Spanos adopt AJ?! Say it aint so!

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Just say NO!!!

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,393
    Folks, while it won't happen this year, it's a good bet for next year. Better get used to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Hell yes.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    If you want a new stadium, then you have to raise interest in the team. I understand why the coaches and players aren't excited about the idea, but for the profile of the franchise, it would give it a boost.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,772
    If you have to sell your wares on a infomercial, then any sucker will do!

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    It's a business....... everyone's money is the same color.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Yeah, so is their blood.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,393
    Tell that to Miami. After they did it last year, it didn't lead to an increase in season ticket sales and their "sell outs" looked worse than our blackouts. The show also didn't help in persuading the voters approving their stadium renovation:

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013/06/24/2204451/dolphins-stephen-ross-pac/

I like the show and if it's about the Chargers, I'll certainly watch. But unless the team has an extremely successful season, I doubt it raises the interest all that much.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Getting a new stadium built is a complicated process. I don't think you could claim that doing Hard Knocks hurt the Dolphins chances at getting a new stadium. Obviously, simply upping your exposure isn't enough to turn the tide, if the forces against you are great. Our situation isn't exactly the same as the Dolphins.

13. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +317
    I personally don't like it.
    I prefer being the team "flying under the radar" of the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mando-charger

mando-charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    for me it's fine. i enjoy anytime i get to see any media about our team. i also think any extra exposure is a good thing for us...will it raise money for a new stadium?............no not likely.....but if it dosnt detract from the game and the teams effort in the game i see no downside....if the players and coaches dont want to be apart of it then i say no way....but i dont see the issue with it otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Gone Hollywood, BABY!!!!!!!!!!

16. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I'd be excited to get an inside look at our team and if it generates some positive PR, icing on the cake.

This franchise could use some good spin in the media and this would be an opportunity to make that happen.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    PR could use some positive PR....... his outside rep as a crybaby is undeserved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    This thread needs a poll.

Hard Knocks is a bad idea. This team needs to rebuild, not get cameras into the day to day of a 2nd year coaching staff and young team. Long term, the negatives outweigh the positives (which are few and fuzzy--Hard Knocks is really going to improve the image of this team in SD? I doubt it).

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    It certainly can't hurt it....... there's no such thing as bad publicity. ;)

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    If it had no effect on the team, yeah sure, go for it.
    But the distraction caused by constant filming through TC can't be good for a team.

21. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,703

Amen to that!

22. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,703

I gotta disagree with you here - I think this is a great chance to change the image of the Chargers here in SD (and elsewhere).

Hard Knocks humanizes the players, staff and executives and makes viewers feel like they've "gotten to know" the people they profile. For a team that has figures often seen in a negative way (whether it's Rivers as a crybaby/overrated or Dean as a rich GOP jerkface, etc...) it's a prime opportunity to paint a different picture.

As for the stadium situation - there's a lot of latitude there as well to promote good will towards the city/taxpayers/fans and to show (vs. tell) how dedicated the franchise is to (1) staying in SD (2) getting something fair done and (3) remind everyone what a massive dump and waste of money Qualcomm is.

That said - whether or not they execute on any of that remains to be seen but there's no denying the potential positive ramifications a quick season on Hard Knocks could provide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I just see the negatives outweighing the positives. As noted earlier, winning is the ultimate PR, and the cameras on the inside thing may well run counter to that objective.

The one positive I can see is reversing Rivers image in SD (is it really that bad there though?). What folks in other cities think really doesn't matter. And generally it's tough to change their minds anyway.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    It can be a distraction, but a good coach and GM can handle it. If we don't have that, then we're in trouble anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    As someone no longer in San Diego without the ability to go to fan fest or practices, I'd love to see my Bolts more on TV

26. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    I feel like I am going to be in the minority, but I would like to see the bolts on hard knocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

27. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Coaching/Gming well and handling Hard Knocks well are not necessarily correlated ;)

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    The way I see it, is if your team is undone by appearing on Hard Knocks, then you didn't have much of a team to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Neither are walking and chewing gum, but most people can do both. ;)

30. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,703

I don't really give a **** what other cities/fans think of Rivers myself (tho I will defend him) but it was just an example - not a necessary.

Winning will always be the best way to get positive PR - I don't think this team is so far from achieving that as some people may fear. I think we have the right kind of guys in that locker room to handle this kind of attention, which wasn't the case in previous years. IMO this is just an additional opportunity to generate positive PR for the club. If you have a good team, it doesn't matter if cameras are around or not - you'll win games.