1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hardwick eyes return

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Dec 23, 2009

Chargers center Nick Hardwick is hopeful that he’s able to return Friday against the Titans, but he’s not getting ahead of himself.

On a couple different occasions this season, Chargers center Nick Hardwick[​IMG] has thought he was close to returning only to be disappointed. This time around, he’s trying to keep a more level head about things.
    “I’m day to day,” Hardwick said Tuesday after fully participating in practice. “What I’ve learned through this process is don’t get ahead of yourself so we’ll see how I feel (Wednesday).”
    Hardwick, who had surgery on his left ankle after getting rolled up in the Chargers’ regular-season opener at Oakland, said that there have been a few different occasions when he thought he was ready to get back on the field but ended up needing more time physically. He began practicing prior to San Diego’s Week 9 contest at New York but had to shut things down after suffering a setback. He tried to crank things back up two weeks later but again wasn’t quite prepared to return.
    A season-ending injury to Scott Mruczkowski[​IMG], who filled in brilliantly the last 13 games, makes the timing of Hardwick’s potential return a bit of a blessing. However, the injury to Mooch didn’t cause the Chargers to speed things up with their Pro Bowl starter.
    “The plan all along was for me to return to practice again this week,” Hardwick said.
    Hardwick said that he’s spoken to his good friend Mruczkowski and empathized with him, knowing full well what he’s going through. He said Tuesday that he wished “Mooch” and his family the best.
    While Hardwick is waiting to see how he responds physically to an increased workload this week, he’s certain he’s ready mentally.
    “From the sideline I’ve read every defense and made every call there is to make,” Hardwick said. “I’ve been doing the same in the film room, watching opponents I knew I wasn’t going to play. I’ve been just staying into it because I was hoping at some point to get back in. Now we’ll see about that.”