1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hardwick hold's team meeting

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by eoconnor101, Nov 4, 2011.

1. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35

SAN DIEGO –With the Chargers set to host the defending Super Bowl champions following two demoralizing losses, center Nick Hardwick delivered a short, yet direct address to his teammates on Wednesday.
    Players said it was a simple reminder to keep their heads up and stay focused on the next game rather than dwell on their recent setbacks. Hardwick stressed, according to others, that the Chargers' goals remain attainable if they work hard and play to their potential.
    Hardwick, who stresses keeping team business in-house, declined to discuss his talk or even acknowledge he made one.
    Others, however, said his words were well-timed, inspirational and helped turn the page following a heart-breaking loss to the Chiefs that created a three-way tie for first place in the AFC West.
    "It was good to hear," one player said. "This is a professional group, and we're always focused on the present, but I think it provided some motivation going into the next game."

Rivers clarifies
    Television cameras appeared to catch Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers saying "worst day ever" on the sideline following his fumbled snap in Monday's loss. Rivers, however, maintains that's not what he said.
    "I didn't say that," Rivers said. "It wasn't the worst day ever. It may have been the worst play I've ever been a part of, but it wasn't the worst day. It was rough, as it is any time you lose. There are other plays in that game that could've helped us win and others that contributed to us losing. That one obviously had the most direct impact, because it was a gimmie, a 1-foot putt. There's nothing I can do about it. I can talk about it until I'm blue in the face, and we're still gonna be 4-3."

Et cetera
    Nine Chargers missed Wednesday's practice. OLB Shaun Phillips (foot), LG Kris Dielman (concussion), OG Tyronne Green (hand), ILB Na'il Diggs (knee), WR Vincent Jackson (hamstring), DE Luis Castillo (tibia), WR Malcom Floyd (hip), RB Curtis Brinkley (concussion) and RB Ryan Mathews (groin) sat out. TE Antonio Gates (foot) and RB Mike Tolbert (hamstring) participated.

Read more: http://www.nctimes.com/sports/football/professional/nfl/chargers/chargers-notes-hardwick-urges-focus-in-address-to-teammates/article_41c9aa1c-925c-5c65-a144-e2862d772222.html#ixzz1cl8PANZi

Well, at least some player's are trying to to get everyone on the same page. I'd like to see Takeo Spikes become a motivator as well, I know he's the new kid on the block but Philips doesn't seem interested and Spikes seems like he's that kind of player, heart on his sleeve.

Where do you think the player leadership should be coming from?

2. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    You don't really have leaders on the team. In the day I remember hearing about how Fouts would take his O line out to dinner once a week, there was a concept of team and leadership. How many times has Rivers taken the O line out to dinner. My guess is zero.

3. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    You're probably right. When Seau was here, he used to fire everyone up with the way he played and how much he cared about winning. I don't see anyone out there with that Seau-esque quality.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Hardwick hold's team meeting

........ and nobody shows up. ;)

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I was thinkin that with all the # of times I got to see that video clip. It didnt look like he was sayin day or game. It was the worst play of the game.

6. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I would say the leader of our team right now is probably Spikes, he seems like the most natural leader of the bunch.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Maybe he held it @ Stingaree?

8. Goodandfast

Goodandfast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Hey Dan. I read your piece. It sounds reasonable, but I don't agree. Of course, the success
    an offense or defense has is going to vary, constantly, from play to play. But overall,
    the Chargers have performed extremely consistently this year: unfortunately they have
    played at a C+ level all year (that's why they're barely above .500). I wrote a piece a few
    days ago that basically said that--when you ask what a C+ team would do, against various
    quality opponents--the Chargers have done exactly what would be expected in every game.
    As the caliber of the Chargers' opponents has varied, so, (remarkably!) predictably has the result.
    A C+ team is a bit better than the lousy Dolphins, a little less better than the Vikings, etc.
    The point differentials for each win and loss are super predictable & consistent, re. who they've played.

The bad news is that a C+ team should lose to a 7-0 team by about 2 touchdowns.
    The good news is that they have usually shined in Nov. & Dec., and their backs are against the wall.

11. Goodandfast

Goodandfast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1

Thanks for reading, and for your thoughts.

I agree that the result is a C+ performing team, but I don't believe that they've put together a complete game in any game this season.

You are right, success is going to vary from play to play; the goal is to have a greater proportion of your plays be successful than not.

In what I've seen this season, they have been playing, as you said, with a C+ level of consistency, insomuch as they seem to follow every good play up with a boneheaded one. That's played out in their record.

But just because that has been the outcome, doesn't mean that they aren't capable of better.

Haven't they been disappointing because they were expected to be better? This is a team that had the top ranked offense and defense for much of last season. They retained most of that team, so why shouldn't we expect them to play better, ie. with greater consistency?

If you don't believe they are capable of being better than C+, I'd be curious to know why?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.826654,-117.205394

12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Well, I responded to you to say that the "inconsistent" tag seemed way off to me. In 2011, so far, the
    Chargers have been extraordinarily consistent...unfortunately it's been consistency at a C+ level.
    And yes, I began my piece by saying that it's disappointing in an (AJ) era in which the team
    has averaged about 11 wins a game. And that not only was I hopeful that they could pick it up,
    from here, but also that history suggested that they would...so yes, I'm on the record as saying
    they're likely to do better. So I don't think we're too far apart here. But I was prompted to write
    about the consistency angle by a comment an ESPN guy made about not knowing if the good
    Chargers or the lousy Chargers were going to show up in Arrowhead, and I flinched at that, because
    --having seen every snap of the Chargers' 7 games--I was well aware that the mediocre Chargers
    had shown up at all of them...which was good enough to beat 4 stumbling teams, and not good
    enough to beat 3 quality teams. But very consistent. And when Rivers becomes his usual 103 (passer rating)
    instead of 80 or 82, the whole team's fate will improve.

13. Goodandfast

Goodandfast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1

Hahaha I think we are definitely on the same page, the only difference being what you call a C+ level I am calling consistent inconsistency.

ESPN guys generally miss the point. You are right, it isn't a question of which Chargers team will show up--because in every game they have had BOTH mediocre and above average moments. That is to be expected.

So, to me, the question is, assuming the above average moments aren't flukes, what do the Chargers need to do to increase the above average moments and limit the mediocre ones? In other words, how do they become more consistently above average one play to the next?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.826471,-117.205441

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I think Rivers said "That was the worst thing ever"