1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hardwick Looking Good

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Aug 14, 2008.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Great news from camp:

If this keeps up, he could be back by the NE game. That would be totally awesome.

Also good to see Philip running well. Get that knee stronger!

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Great news indeed! I really believe that the play in the trenches is what is going to make or break our Superbowl ambitions. I've heard and read some commentary about how we "secured depth" on our O-line by bringing in Newberry in Shelton. But after watching that first preseason game I think we're going to be in deep **** if we're counting on these two scrubs.

Shelton looked okay but Newberry seemed to be consistently looking for someone to block while defenders were already in the backfield. And considering he's the guy making the assignments that makes me nervous. I think Hardwick is going to be a bigger factor this year than most people are going to realize. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I've been preaching this very thing for awhile.

We NEED Nick back!!!

:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    You're selling Newberry short. First of all, Goff was more the culprit in that first drive than anyone else. But more importantly, no starter goes 100% in the first pre-season game. This is especially true for a guy with bum knees like Newberry (and Jamal, for that matter). He's not going to expend energy blowing out his legs for games that don't matter. When we get to the real thing, he will play well.

Newberry is a pro-bowl player when healthy, which he is right now. By resting him for practice and playing lightly in the pre-season, we keep him healthy and fresh for the games that DO matter.

I would only get nervous if Nick has a serious setback and Newberry is expected to start the entire year. Then I would worry about his knees holding up. But it doesn't look like that is going to happen, and he will be a good fill in for 3-4 games.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He is new to the system and the the other O Linemen. There is a lot of practice, film watching and study to be done between now and the first game. The short time Newberry was in hardly gave him and the others time to get into the flow of a game or to make the adjustments that normally occur in the course of the full four quarters. Even veteran lines that have played together can get off to a rocky first quarter. We'll get a better read after another couple of exhibitions when the first string will play some more time together. Sooner or later Newberry will have to play a full half with his mates.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The sooner Nick is healthy, the better. He seems to make this line tick. Hearing that he is working out is good news. :tup:

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I wouldn't give up on Newbury just yet, he didn't have the benefit of OTA's or minicamp. I still think he will be serviceable.

That said, it is a huge deal if Hardwick can avoid PUP and be ready before game 6.

8. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    From what's being reported by Acee at the UT, Hardwick's unspoken goal is to be back by Week 6 and the NE game. I think he's got a good chance of making it.

I would hope he could come back before that so he'd have a week or two to get back in synch with the rest of the line.

But even so, back in 2007 when he was out for a while, he made an immediate impact when he returned against the Ravens, so I would think that even if he isn't top-notch, he will make an impact right away when he gets back.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The Newberry/Withrow combo looked like caca last night. Hurry up & heal, Nick!!!!

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    That's what I heard...I was in the desert getting wasted beyond recognizing my own actions.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good for you!! :icon_party: