1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Harris: Wk 1 starter.... Gaither: No progress

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Harris to start Week 1 over injured Gaither

It's all real to Michael Harris now.

The Chargers left tackle said he was told Saturday he'll be starting Sept. 10 in the team's season opener. The undrafted rookie will fill in for Jared Gaither, who continues to recover slowly from back spasms.

Harris started all four preseason games, facing the likes of Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews and Vikings defensive end Jared Allen.

Monday Night Football will be his next step.

"I'm starting," Harris said. "... It just opened my eyes. I'm here. I'm a professional player. It starts today. My preparing level has to go higher. I've got a couple of days to get ready, so I'm going to do all I can to scout these guys. The less I got to think out there the better.

"I know it's going to be loud. The Raiders and the Chargers is a big rivalry. It's going to be exciting though at the same time."

Gaither hasn't practiced since July 27.

On Aug. 21, he began working daily on the side practice field. He stopped after Aug. 27 and, the next day, had an MRI, the results of which the team has not disclosed.

"I don't know if there's been a setback," Turner said Saturday. "He hasn't made any progress. That's for sure."

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    What hit would we take if we cut Gaither?

3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I still think he has disc issues. Classic symptoms. Classic that everyone thinks it's in his head. IR.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Easy enough to diagnose. If it is the case then why isn't it public?

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Since when does the team tell us anything that they don't have to?

I'm still waiting for an explanation of why Dr. Chao is still on the payroll.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Exactly. Even when they have to give up info per NFL rules, they push the limits. It's about winning, and there's no reason to tip off other teams regarding the exact nature of players' injuries unless you have to.

7. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    It sounds like it can be 'spondothylesis' and it occurs in the lower thoracic area of the back. It is hard to detect as most MDs only spend 1 semester reading x-rays and then add in DrChao it doesn't look good. I am investigating exactly what it is and I'll get back to you on this thread.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Back issues suck and I can attest to that on a personal level. I doubt AJ was fleeced by Gaither, they should do a physical on him before the contract becomes valid in some way, shape or form. We ain't talking peanuts here so there must be some kind of protection for the club.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hmmmm .... would this decision be considered AJ's fault? :rolleyes:

10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    **** no.

;)

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just checking.

12. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606

And
    #foxandgrapes

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    AJ is a bling kinda guy.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    We already saw what a few games of Dombrowski at LT looked like...... gag. Sorry, but if Green is your starting guard, he can't really be your LT backup too. So, a "lot of depth" was a starting LT with a history of back issues, a slow footed quasi-tackle, a guard who already has a spot, and a UDFA that little was known about at the start.

Good planning. :tup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    [​IMG]

;)

16. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I think as Harris is starting we will see a lot more of McMichael in as a blocker to help on that side. it's not ideal that Gaither isn't ready, but it is what it is, and now we need to adjust accordingly.

Having McMichael and McClain as extra blocking options is pretty good insurance IMO, but still, let's hope Gaither's gonna be ok and returns soon, and in the meantime good luck to Mike Harris, it's a big task but also a big opportunity for the kid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    Sometimes luck is an undrafted kid that has a chance to break into the big show, and he has something to prove...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    After all .... it IS the optimistic time of season.

Maybe all this has really done is teach someone an expensive lesson.

Naahhhh .... ;)

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    A smart GM doesn't rely on luck....... but then again, we have AJ.

20. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    And no GM's read this or any other message board. ;)

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    I certainly hope not....... I wouldn't want to hurt the man's feelings.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not unless it's in person.

23. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358

The Colts' GM is probably relying on Luck...;)

• Funny Funny x 4
  24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I have to look no further than English and especially Gates for understanding the problems within this teams medical unit. English had one and maybe two botched foot surgeries, Gates foot surgery didn't turn out so well either, if memory serves me right. I'd rather Gaither get healed up and come back when his body is ready than opposed to what both English and Gates went through. In fact there has never even been a full or complete diagnosis on his condition released publicly. I'm rooting for Harris to be one of those "Once in a lifetime" type stories but then again, Gates has already proven that folks can turn out to be pretty good if coached up correctly.

25. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    The Challenge: Find 2 worse starting offensive tackles in the league than what San Diego is going to trot out
    in Week 1 vs. the Raiders.

Good luck Monday night Philip Rivers.:mad:

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Say hello to Mr. extra lineman, Randy McMichael

27. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Unfortunately, Mr. extra lineman can only help one tackle at a time. Should he help the rookie
    left tackle protecting Rivers' blind side or help the worst right tackle in the NFL?
    Say hello to pressuring Rivers all day with only a 3 or 4 man rush. When the 5th man
    comes, say hello to Mr. Interception.
    I really hope that I am incredibly mistaken.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    I'm not overly concerned about Rivers' protection in this game. Harris is raw, but at least he's athletic. Dombrowski was abused, because he's even slower footed than Clary. With McClain and McMichael helping out, they should be able to give decent protection for Rivers.

The problem, is that having to leave an extra guy in the backfield all the time limits what plays you can run offensively. The lack of an explosive RB also limits the offense.

The Chargers D will have to step up and get to Palmer. If our pass rush can create some havoc, then Rivers will be less prone to force the issue when we have the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Ironically this is an OL that Dombo might've done well against. The starting DL for Oakland will likely be Houston and Shaughnessy at DE, Kelly and Seymour at DT. Shaughnessy is the lightest of their starters at 285. There's not alot of speed in that group but there's alot of power in that group. Dombo was abused when the slow footed left tackle was up against the incredibly fast Kameron Wimbley. Now the question is how will Harris handle Shaughnessy; his profile suggests he uses some hand strength and arm length to win battles, which is ironically what Harris has the tools to beat.

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think the line will be fine-ish. The team will pull some blocks get help on the left side and rund quick throws. It wont be the best, but it will have to do until the unit can come together.

Who knows, maybe this rook knocks everyones socks off...