1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Harrison, Steelers Agree To Six-Year Deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Kwak, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Looks like the Merriman benchmark has been set.

-----------------------------------

Steelers linebacker James Harrison cashed in on his incredible 2008 season by agreeing to a new contract Monday that is worth $51.175 million over the next six seasons.

Harrison was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year last season and had a 100-yard interception return before the half in the Steelers' Super Bowl victory over the Arizona Cardinals. He was scheduled to make $1.4 million this season, the final year of his contract.

Included in the contract, which will be officially announced Tuesday, is about $20 million in bonuses.

"James is pleased he will be a Steeler for the rest of his NFL career, in all probability, which is what he wanted," Bill Parise, Harrison's agent, told The Associated Press. "The contract is reflective of him being the defensive player of the year."

According to Parise, the contract is the largest signed by an NFL linebacker, although Harrison is not guaranteed of being paid the total value of the contract.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That's alotta scratch.

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    This is good news for the Chargers in the upcoming Merriman negotiations.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, they better get the new CBA in place. I woiuld hate to see what happens to the NFL if we go into a capless year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    When does Merriman's contract expire?

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    2009: $2.272 million
    2010: Free Agent

In 2010 he will have a new contract or get the Tag.

7. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I would presume he is going to have to play extra hard and prove to management the injury is no longer an issue...I know that's kind of obvious, but coming back from a knee is tough.

Merriman and Brady.....it will be interesting to see how much impact their injuries will have on their games..if any at all.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The problem will be without a CBA, 2010 is an uncapped year. The cost of a tag could sky rocket... :tdown:

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    This is too much money in these kind of years.

• Like Like x 1
  10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Stillers just did the Bolts a favor. That's actually not a ridiculous amount of scratch, and since Harrison won the defensive MVP last season, I don't think Merriman can make the case for getting more. I think this a contract that the Chargers could live with, assuming Merriman has the kind of comeback year I expect.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BoltinPortugal

BoltinPortugal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    This would be the greatest bargain ever if the Chargers signed Merriman for that amount of money. Unfortunately, if Merriman fully recovers from his injury this is not going to happen.

I think Merriman will want something in the region of Freeney's contract, 6 years, 72M, 30M guaranteed. Probably even a bit more, and because of that i don't know if the Chargers will retain him after all the franchise tags available take place.

Let's not forget that Harrison is 30 and Merriman is 24, and that Merriman's agent is Tom Condon while Harrison's is some guy who has only one client: James Harrison. And to top it off, while Merriman has had 3 elite years in his 3 healthy seasons, Harrinson had only 1 elite year, last year. yes, a case can be made for the year before that, so 1 and a half if you will.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    No, there are restrictions on how much you can pay to a player over their previous year. The playoff teams are restricted in signing new free agents.

It will not be huge $$$$ bonanza for the players.

If no CBA is in place for 2011, you can bet on a Lock out.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    If there's an uncapped year, Merriman's and (others) situation will not be a problem, he wouldn't qualify as a UFA since he would need 6 accrued seasons

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah that would not be good. However the lockout might occur next year as the first uncapped season is 2010. :tdown:

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I don't think that would happen. The CBA will get done. The NFL can not afford loss of a season. There is WAY too much TV rev out there.

16. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Ok, blonde question here, what does CBA mean?
    TIA

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    That's...alot of money...

Merriman's going to want that mullah.

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Collective Bargaining Agreement. It is the labor contract between the players and the owners.

It defines things like Free Agency and a host of other things.

19. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Thank you. I've heard of it but never really knew what it entailed.