1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hart gone Antoine Cason to strong safety ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers | Hart could be released
    Mon, 17 Feb 2009 08:57:31 -0800

Bill Williamson, of ESPN.com, reports the San Diego Chargers could release SS Clinton Hart in the offseason.

Meanwhile, don't be surprised if San Diego considers moving cornerback Antoine Cason to strong safety if it can't sign a veteran or draft a starter in the early rounds. Moving Cason, a first-round pick last season, would be a last resort. The Chargers are very high on him as a cornerback, but because Cason is so talented he could help at safety as well.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    What? Why not Paul Oliver?
    Why in the world would you move CASON to SS??

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Uh oh... Trumpy will be displeased. Better take his guns away for a bit.

4. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i think it would be pretty good, cause Cason can cover, him and weddle back there might be pretty nice, we shall see

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    GOD DAMN AJ,
    He will look for ANY reason to draft a CB in the 1st round

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Bad idea.
    If we can get a better SS ad that means releasing Hart, that's one thing but moving Cason out of CB is a bad idea IMO.

And no CB for the #1 draft pick this season, please!

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I'd be pretty surprised if Cason is moved to safety, or Jake Cutler would say, "Very surprised, actually." :lol:

Teams need more than two starting caliber corners, and that's before even having to face 5 wideout offensive schemes.

As a rook, Cason was everything that any of us had a realistic right to hope for. I see him staying as the 3rd CB who's on the field for virtually every nickle and dime situation while giving the starting guys a few snaps off.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    People have been seriously thinking Cason has a shot to take Cromartie's job, so this talk about moving him to safety is especially odd. And that's not even considering that that leaves Cletis Gordon as the nickel corner who didn't have a good last game.

The only way this makes sense is if either the team has a great deal of faith in Gordon/Oliver to become a nickel back or the team thinks it can find a good corner in FA/Draft (I don't think they're drafting a first round corner).

9. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    1. Cason is a great tackler
    2. SS in todays game needs coverage skills.
    3. Cason can cover.

I like the idea if we can't find a TP43 via the draft or FA. Most people were upset with Hart not for his run stopping or hitting ability, but for his coverage skills over the top. Cason can cover any TE in the game one on one except Gates (he is on our team). Cason is a great athlete and would be an upgrade to Hart IMO. The only issue I have is that it weakens our other packages and depth at Corner.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    If anything... Jammer is going to safety. :frightened:

11. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Would you move one of the toughest/proven corners in the league to SS? We will not advance by moving him to SS.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Damn!. When I read the title I thought Clinton was gone already!!.

I cannot imagine them moving Cason to Safety for one second. He might even be the 2nd best corner on the team and we already have the up and coming Paul Oliver back there.

One things for sure though. Hart is not the answer. Nice guy and all he is not up to it, never was.

13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    who does he think he is? Sweatsuit Al!?:icon_eek:

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Rod Woodson moved to Safety after spending most of his years as a CB.

Prolonged his career for quite a while and he was a Pro Bowler if I remember right.

Quentin is starting to rack up some injuries. Not saying it's happening next year, but I believe it's on the table and being discussed.

15. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Not sure why we would cut Hart, is he really making that much cash? Feel like he'd be a great back up no matter how we upgrade. Same for matt wilhelm, yeah the guys been a disapointing starter, but he'd be a great back up if we could a get any kind of an upgrade.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Jam might be that head hunter I'd love to have a SS, hell, he may like the chance to bring the lumber to poor defenseless receivers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I don't think Quentin is anywhere near the end of his career, and its awfully premature to move him when he seems to finally have gotten how to become a great corner.

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Well... this is the first season I remember him being injured down the stretch. Could be a sign of things to come. 8th year coming up and he's entering the "window" for CBs.

19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I love Jammer as a CB - but I'd rather he move to safety over Cason b/c Jammer hits HARD. Just ask Garcia :tup:

We need a someone who will make people fear going across the middle. Like a John Lynch - someone who will eat you for breakfast if you're in his sights.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    So did Troy Vincent. Charles Woodson and Anthony Henry already have dabbled as safeties, and might become permanent in the near future. Antrell Rolle switched too, but that's probably due to being a sub-par CB.

When Jammer loses enough foot-speed to keep up one-on-one with WRs, that's when the move should be made.

21. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :tup:

22. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I'd imagine moving Cason would be a last resort (if we can't acquire a solid one elsewhere), but it is a good thing because it shows that the team realizes that Safety is a problem.

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    A few more leg injuries...

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm with the Jammer to safety crowd. He can tackle, he hits hard and he's not shy about run support and he can cover like a corner. Cason showed a lot a corner last season for a rookie. I expect Cromartie to have a third season more like his first-i.e. no hip injury. I say again, this draft has to be focused on fat boys and a middle linebacker.

25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    What I don't understand is why people appear to just be ignoring Paul Oliver since he was drafted as a potential safety candidate/dime corner. When we grabbed him he was thought to be more of a safety and was known at Georgia for being a hard hitter. So.......why then move our #1 pick last year to SS? Cason's not known as a hitter either, he's not Cromartie but he's not a hitter.

And yeah CBs have been moved to S to prolong their career, but that happens in the twilight of their career when they have not only lost foot speed to go one-on-one but they have injuries. Jammer hasn't had enough injuries and he sure as hell hasn't lost the ability to go mano-a-mano. Furthermore, as mentioned, he finally appears to be understanding how to be a great cornerback. Why change him now?

26. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Oliver combined with Hart or a 3rd rounder will be fine. They need to get Cason ready to take over for Cro because if he has another shotty season hes gone and if he comes back strong we cant afford him.

27. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Why move our best CB to safety? CBs have a bigger impact than safeties, moving Jammer just doesn't make sense right now.

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Hart is not going to be cut.

Jammer to safety happens when Jammer is a Number 3 CB in talent on this team.

You do not move your best cover man to safety - EVER.

The corner has to match up with the other teams best WR and also has to be the best athlete in mind and body on the defensive side of the field.

The front 7 needs to get it done. Our D-line depth has been for shiit since Earnie Ladd was benching pressing mo-fos into the dirt.

The secondary and the back ups are set. Yeah even Weddle ....

Trade Merriman. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  29. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    cuz Oliver has no speed.... never has...

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    CHURCH!

And not so chruch... Not even little overgrown shrine... heck not even a Saints token worn around the neck... Just not so much, so much...