1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hart looks to bounce back

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Mar 31, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/hart-looks-to.htm

Hart looks to bounce back
    Send to a friend Print Page Adjust font size small medium large RSS feed

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009
    By Casey Pearce , Chargers.com
    Chargers strong safety Clinton Hart knows that the 2008 season wasn’t his best, and he’s doing everything he can to deliver a better showing in 2009.

“It was an eye opener for me,” Hart said. “I hurt my teammates with some of my play because I wasn’t as mentally disciplined as I should have been and I wasn’t 100 percent physically. I’ve got to be better. I've got a family to support. This is my livelihood, and I’m working hard so that I am better this year.”

After recording five interceptions and 109 tackles in 2007, Hart failed to record a takeaway last fall and saw his tackles dip to 83. He battled through injuries and admittedly made mental errors that kept him from performing at his best.

His 2008 campaign got off to a rough start when he broke his left hand in the first quarter of the Chargers’ Week 2 game in Denver. He played with a cast the next several weeks, but didn’t feel like himself.

“It was a big mental block for me,” Hart said. “In a position where you have to use your hands a lot, getting off blocks, grabbing and tackling, it’s not easy. The games I had to get shot up for the pain; it messed with my mind, too. It was tough.”

In Week 12 against Atlanta, he suffered a neck injury that sidelined him for two games and limited him later in the season. Again, he fought through it, but was never comfortable with the neck roll he tried to play with.

“I couldn’t get used to it,” Hart said. “I wasn’t myself and it really bothered me. My play hurt my teammates.”

Early in the 2008 season, Hart’s teammates voted him as a captain, an honor that he says he may have taken too seriously.

“Looking back, I should have trusted the guys that were behind me to go in there and do their jobs,” Hart said. “I was trying to be a leader and I thought that playing hurt was part of that. Maybe I should have done things differently.”

Hart is attacking this offseason with a vengeance. He’s focused on improving mentally and physically. When he left San Diego last month to spend some time with family in Florida, he took with him a tape that contained every play he was involved in from the ’08 season and several plays from ’07.

“Nobody is more critical of my play than I am,” Hart said. “I had a lot of swagger and confidence in 2007. I wasn’t out there hurt. I believed I could tackle with the best of them, cover the best tight ends and do my job. For some reason, 2008 wasn’t that way. It was a tough year and I know I have to be better than that.”

Since the season ended, Hart has spent a lot of time at Chargers Park working out in hopes of adding some weight to his 205-pound frame. His confidence isn’t lacking as he anxiously waits for an opportunity to redeem himself.

“My mind is fresh,” Hart said. “I think my body is as young as anybody’s here. My work ethic is just as good as anybody’s here. I have to focus on the things that have helped me and eliminate the things that have hurt me. I’m working on me right now, trying to get better.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Whatever.

Cut him.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Don't have any faith he'll "bounce back", he probably will be cut

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Safety is the one area that we seriously need upgraded. Weddle is fine, but Hart was just getting burnt all the time. Maybe a better pass rush would help, but there are times he looked lost. You can't turn a scrubb into an all-pro, simple as that.....:no:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He'll be in the mini camps and we'll get a read on him. I doubt he'll stick if we draft a half way decent safety.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now... he did play through some rough injuries and we did lack a pass rush last year... I'd honestly be sad to lose him :icon_shrug: but he needs to step up his game.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    He has a great attitude this guy but no talent. He'll be bouncing all the way to the welfare line I'm afraid.

:no:

8. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Bounce back? With this reasoning they make like he was good at one time in his career. When was that?

Title should be more like: "Just Play Better than You Ever Have Before."

9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I wish he would just bounce.

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    No need for me to pile on, I guess :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Bounce him on over to Trumpy's house since he loves the guy so much. :lol:

12. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    :lol:

I'm likewise among those who believe that soon we won't have Hart to kick around anymore.

13. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Ouch...It's soooo cooolllldddd...Man you guy's are pretty tough on CH and a few others. I know the guy tries and has done well when the team is working as a unit. He keeps winning the position so we'll see if he can keep it. Any of you guy's put on the pads? I was a scrub but hay, first team has to play somebody.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Camp will come and Clinton Hart will show you all again why he should be the starter.

Just about everyone here will be kissing my *** when the prophecy comes true. You all remember saying Clinton Hart should not even be on the team ? ..... then Clinton sets a new team record for INT's with Cro and a healthy front 7. :bolt:

Don't phuc with the secondary. :tdown:

We are set.

Clinton Hart is the ****.

Just watch.....again. :yes:

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Beeps.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    "Maybe" a better pass rush would help.

PLEEEESE. :icon_wtf:

MAYBE ? :lol:

You could put Jesus Christ Almighty at Safety and his *** will get torched by the devil himself if he gets no help from his henchmen.

Weedle was new at calling the defense at FS. Hart had a off year and add no help up front.....

The recipe is not good any way you cook it up. We need D-Line help and if that does not happen then the game is over.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Even with a pass rush - Hart sucks. :yes:

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    You will be one of the first candyasses to hide and admit I was right because of your lack of sack. :icon_twisted:

Here it comes. :yes:

Weren't you the one who went silent real quick after I said Rivers was the "Chosen One" then he showed "it" or was it that idiot Concudan ?

Probably both of you .... :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  19. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Shoot, I like Hart, but I don't think he's a stud safety. I think it would be awesome if he starting kickingass, though. We'll see. The Chargers need it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Suck up the drool & get your wits about you, Drunky. :lol:

I was never a Brees coddler & I'm an ACC homer. The worst thing about Rivers is that he didn't go to Virginia Tech. :yes:

You & Mountain p00f make a good pair. :icon_banana:

Now get Hart's sack off your chin & go pound your chest with the chimps at your zoo. :tup:

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Buck said it for me Trump. I doubt even a better pass rush would help him. Then again, I don't know who would be better. Oliver? Still wish Jammer would move to safety and have Cro and Cason at the corners. (C & C Corner Factory....)

• Like Like x 1
  22. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Nearly every tight end- but especially Tony Gonzalez- made Hart look like a pop warner reject. If he looks like crap at mini-camp then I think he's history.

23. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

24. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    THATS more like it!

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It pains me to see fans make this suggestion.

Rule Number one at Corner: You play your best athlete at that position so he can cover the other teams best WR.

Cro & Cason do not fit the bill as better corners versus Jammer.

Moving Jammer to Safety will just cut the defenses throat and why I still see this suggestion makes me wonder what the hell some of you are thinking.

The secondary is not the problem. The problem starts up front.

• Like Like x 1
  26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_huh:

is it the safety's job to cover the TE?

I think that's on the LB's

27. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Agree 98%.
    The other 2 %.... The secondary has problems ,but it does start up front.

28. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The more athletic tight ends are almost always matched up with safeties. Hart was assigned to cover TG on about 75% of defensive plays against the Chiefs last year.

29. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I agree the front 7 needs vast upgrades.

So does SS.

30. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Adding one of the best defensive players in the league back to the front 7 will certainly help. With Burnett, we now have a physical ILB in Dobbins and a pass coverage ILB in Burnett that we can platoon. The only position in the front seven in desperate need of upgrade is DE.