1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hart vindicated after a bullshit call

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Enormo, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Nuff said.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yup!! :yes: :tup:

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    He had purty good D on Gonzo on the TD, Gonzo jes tore it away from him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Great seconf half D!

Zebras trying to make us lose again :icon_evil:

I'm so proud of our boys !!! :abq2:

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The Defense really stepped it up in the second half. Could that be Rivera's genious in adjusting? I'm gonna just say that I hope it was the case and will lead to more wins this season. Way to go Hart but bullshit...maybe not. He was making contact before the ball was in a position to be caught so depending on the view it could have been fair.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

dude seemed to be going for the ball the way I saw it

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Nah Aggie, he went for the ball. It was after contact.

8. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Just happy to be a game out of first!!!!!!!!! Need to win on the east coast next week.

9. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    It was a good play by Hart, and a BS call.

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    QFT

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Anyone else see the ref go to Thigpen before that play and say 'just throw it up there, if there is a Charger within 5 yds we'll give u pass interference'.

Officiating in the Charger games has been unreal. Very nearly twice we lost a game because of poor officiating, that is not acceptable. :tdown:

12. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    :icon_eek:
    it started to feel a bit like dungver there for a second

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    granted
    still doesn't excuse the td anyway or the drive that led to the PI

14. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    And it doesn't excuse the running play called running LT into a defense that had held him to 3.5 yards avg the entire game. What a stupid call!!!!!!!!!

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    You two are both right, but TDs like that hurt a lot more when they're aided so much by the refs.

Yeah, they shouldn't have let them in the endzone anyways, but that task is a lot more difficult when they have it at 1st and goal on the 1 than it is at 3rd and 10 on the 18.

Yeah, they shouldn't have let them in the endzone, but that was a LOT of help from a bullshit call to get them in there.

ANd, SDNWY, I agree that that was a freaking stupid playcall. I don't know why ANYONE runs on 3rd and forever, especially when backed up near their own endzone.

16. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    That was one many bad plays called during the game....most of which were running plays.

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Why wouldn't you run? why even risk making a stupid throw or a turnover that deep in your territory with that much to go. Rivers getting sacked killed any shot of attempting to get the first with a passing play.

Especially when you have Scifi who can boot the ball deep and give your d (who was playing great in the 2nd half) solid field position to defend.

18. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    We should have enough confidence in our passing game to make that play. I has been more reliable that the running game. There is more than one of looking at this situation and your point of view is well taken and I do see your point.

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I understand the mindset, but running because you don't want to risk an INT is not playing to win, that's playing not to lose.

Rivers should be smart enough to know not to force anything due to the circumstance and go for the safer pass (assuming there is one) and just dump it if he can't find anyone, but at least you're going for the first down and not practically giving up on the drive.

20. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Well said, especially the playing to win. I didn't see that today on either side of the ball.

The D played a little better today but not good enough to win in the playoffs against a team like the Titans.

21. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes. That should have been a pass, plain and simple. It was 3rd and long. I don't care where or at what point of the game running on third and long in a game where holes have been few and far between isn't responsible. Rivers is a great quarterback. He can easily get the yardage if the play is set up right while LT, the best running back in the game, will almost never get such a gain. It's third and long and that down requires passing.

22. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Passing the ball would have been a horrible move in that situation. With the way the offensive line blocked on the last pass attempt, a safety or interception would have been just as likely as a completed pass.

23. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Well just look at the potential scenarios of both options.

If you run the ball:
    1. Maybe LT breaks one loose and gets the 1st down. Plus the clock keeps moving
    2. LT gets stopped short clock keeps moving, either forces a TO or time to run.
    3. LT fumbles and the Chiefs recover. Or a bad handoff with is pretty much the same.

If you pass the ball:
    1. You complete the pass and get the 1st down and keep the clock moving.
    2. You complete the pass and don't get the 1st down, which keeps the clock moving.
    3. You throw an incompletion which stops the clock and saves KC a TO.
    4. Rivers gets sacked, clock keeps moving but it pins Scifi even deeper into the endzone.
    5. Rivers throws an INT
    6. Rivers fumbles.

So when you look at it there's really only 2 options that would benefit you in either scenario, obviously the pass is a lot easier to achieve goal #1 in a long distance scenario but there is also a lot more negatives to it.

Like I said if it's something manageable like 3rd and 8 or whatever it was minus the sack then you try and get it but it was like 3rd and 15 which is a lot harder to accomplish, so why take that big of a risk? I mean there's being aggressive then there's just being stupid. Just my opinion though, although I know I wouldn't have complained if they did pass and completed it.

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    The call for a run there on 3rd and long wasn't the worst call of the day. I thought some of Norv's playcalling was terrible. Where is this offensive genius gone?.

The worst for me was the attempted throw to Chambers on the sideline on 3rd and 4. Talk about a low percentage throw when Gates seemed to be there all day. (this was in the 3rd quarter)

One thing I was glad to see was Tolbert getting it in the passing game. No matter what he seems to know what to do when he gets the ball, turn and run full steam upfield.

What about Legs?. I think I only saw him on the field once. Let's get him a play or 2 too, c'mon Norv!.

25. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    It's hard to use legs when you already got Gates, LT, Tolbert, VJ, Chambers, Floyd and Manu. Plus he's still pretty raw.

Although it'd be interesting to see him mixed in to some gadget plays every once and a while to mix it up. He'd be good for a wildcat type play since he was a QB.

26. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Re: WhyTHE F*** !!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As was said in the Game Day Thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wrbanwal
    I think our problem in the running game is PREDICTABILITY!!!

If I can see it coming, then I'm sure the guys that get paid big bucks can see it

Originally Posted by SD Native WY
    I agree and it seems like almost every play is predictable......WHY????????

The play calling sucks no creativity and Norv is an Offense Genius.......Not that I have seen!!!!!!!!!

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The callon Hart was very close, could have gone either way. He got there a split second early, but I personally think that you have to let the guys play a little. Ticky tack call that nearly cost us the game.

As for the playcalling - I too got tired of the "LT up the middle" routine, but you know what? Unless we start getting a good running game going again, we're going nowhere fast. All passing isn't going to get it done. The OL, particularly the right side of it, isn't opening holes. We miss Lo's blocking, too. I like what Tolbert brings to the offense, but he's no LoNeal when it comes to finding & moving guys outta the way. Hopefully he'll get there.

PR didn't have one of his best games. It was very windy, so maybe that affected him more than I could tell. One thing I did see - Mr. Gates is back!! :abq1:

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Great second half D? Tell me, which game did you tune in to? :icon_rofl: