1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Has AJ lost his mind?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Apr 29, 2011.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Jonas Mouton? Marcus Gilchrist? What the hell? Why is AJ drafting these guys that no one really wants or could be had in late rounds. WHy not just trade down? WHy not just pick people other teams want and trade them?

People are saying Mouton wouldn't be drafted till the 6th or maybe even be an udfa. WHy waste a second rounder? We might as well have just gifted the pick away to some other team. Maybe he has a huge upside. I haven't had much research time on him. I sure hope so. This better be one of those ccrazy aj draft moves that made aj so famous like the eli trade or else he's gonna be packing after the last two drafts and now this.

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Yes. Just like Bobby Bethard.

3. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I should just stop watching the draft until AJ is gone. Every year it's the same bullshit. I have no idea what AJ's strategy is. Every year he reaches.

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    John Spanos - Director of College Scouting

This should say it all. I bet this little punk runs to daddy about players that he wants to draft.

5. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I seriously am starting to wonder if he is getting payed off by someone to **** up our team

6. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Kind of looks like these two picks were for special teams in mind. Gilchrist is a gunner and future potential to be a starting safety?? Mouton at least was rated high from Sporting News which was also really high on Corey. Bottom line for Mouton, according to Sporting News. "Mouton has the ability to start early in his NFL career and should also contribute on special teams. Look for him to be gone by the end of the 2nd Rd, as his potential is sky high." Sporting news also lists Kevin Burnett as his comparison.

Was really hoping for Greg little and some more beef on either side of the line with our two seconds.

7. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I know our special teamssucked buck who drafts special teamers in the 2nd

8. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Exacty Special teams players are for the got damn 5th 6th and 7th round...We All knw A.J smith a stupid muthaF**a idk how some of yall defend him but these picks this dont shock me at all im used to this every damn year... all i can say is hopefully we can make moves in free agency Smh ... i pray to jesus we fire his ***

9. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Used to be that "AJ was gawd" and that "in AJ we trust". What a massive fall from grace.

10. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    Aj has not lost his mind he was just misinformed. he was told he ws picking in the 4th round when it was really the 2nd

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I guess that AJ wants to build the Chargers to be the worst team in the NFL in 2011 so they can move to LA.

12. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I just saw another DB. Do we really need another DB? ****, we might as well have drafted amukamara if we were gonna invest a 2nd and 3d on dbs e3specially with the depth of de in this draft.

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    That's why he always trades the 2nd rounders away!

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Whats the point of having 2nd and 3rd round picks....if you're gonna take 5th and 6th round players?

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yes Aj has lost his mind
    Yes AJ is clearly trying to undermine the team
    Yes AJ is on the take from Al Davis
    Yes you saw the AJ on the grassy knoll
    Yes you are snarter than AJ
    Yes AJ has done the humpidy bumpidy with your mama

That should take care of all of the typical post draft questions.

16. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    To prove you're smarter than everyone else? ;)

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Yes you are still blinded by the sack of AJ.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ask yourself this... How can you possibly be arogant enough to declare a player bad or not worthy of going in a certain round without ever seeing them?

The draft is not a perfect science. There are more Ettman's than Rice's... Yet every year people cry into their beers about how AJ is trying to ruin the team... What a joke...

I guess I would rather have some interweb clown tell me I am blinded by AJs sack that to be blinded by a delusion of adequecy...

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yeah cuz you know...we've gotten so many good players in recent drafts.....:icon_huh:

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    This is the worst Chargers draft since 1998. Either AJ Smith is the most brilliant GM of all time or he's just ended his career in San Diego in a massive blaze of a clusterfuck. I'd fire him tonight for gross and incredulous incompetence

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Who in the hell is in your sig? I know as much as you, CD or anyone else. If you disagree thats fine, we have been down that road. But seriously some of the comments in here are so f'in funny.

I mean we have full of thread of 1coolguys, Only you all are not genius game planners, you are the best draft minds evah! :lol:

This may prove to be a terrible draft. May prove to be a good one. All the scouting crap is worthless. I have yet to see a player live up or down to any draft credential crap. Gallery was supposed to rock the NFL and took years to develope... No draftnick called that one...

So go one posting that the world will end. But I will laugh about it and post comments about it. If that is a problem for you... oh well my give a damn is broke right now...

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Well......... we got that English...... Uh, well....... there was that....... Ummm, Cromartie....... Lets not forget that........... Uhhh.......

23. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Funny how a bunch of people who only occasionally watch college football (and really only watch big name games/teams) can sit here and cry about something that cant even be judged for atleast a couple years. I mean sure, cry about the 1st round because most people know those guys, and know who they want/dont want, but to cry about a late 2nd round pick when you likely never watched the guys play??

But lets see, ant, lets look at your draft
    1 - Cam Jordan - went 24th
    2 - Marcus Cannon - At earliest a 4th rounder
    2 - Greg Little - late 2nd
    3 - Ras-I Dowing - 1st pick of 2nd round
    3 - Casey Mathews - at earliest 4th rounder

So you think Ras-I is rated as a 3rd rounder, are the pats idiots for taking him 50 picks before YOU had him rated? your #50 pick hasnt even been drafted yet, so he would of been a reach by atleast 50 picks. Casey mathews will likely be a 6th or 7th rounder, yet you have him as a 3rd, another reach. Are you really one to be judging AJs draft?

Now im no AJ fan, and think he should of been fired years ago, but to complain about this draft is crazy

• Like Like x 1
  24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Two picks?

OK lets be fair. You Blew love to talk a lot about the NFL, seem knowledgable...

Tell me what YOU know about the picks.... Not what some draftnick knows. Have you watched them?

I mean Matilack, and Ant, I imaine they are frustrated because their mocks looked nowhere near what we got :)lol:)... So what can you tell us other than debby downer one liners?

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Any reasonably objective person would have to admit that AJ's recent drafts have been subpar...... that's just a fact.

English was a reach..... small school, not high level competition, and converting to OLB. Yes, he's been injured a bit, but so far, he hasn't shown much when on the field.

Cromartie was a one year wonder, helped out considerably by a strong pass rush. When Merriman went downhill, so did Cro.... he was exposed as a bad cover corner. He only has straight-line speed, and is easily fooled by good WRs.

Buster Davis has been a bust...... Yes, injuries were a big culprit, but a guy has to find a way to fight through nagging injuries and get on the filed. He couldn't.

AJ has been living off the success of the Eli trade for too damn long....... what has he done lately??? Not very much, when it comes to the draft. We've had as much success with UDFAs and off the street signings...... Garay and Barnes are two examples.

Something is wrong with your player evaluations if your 1st and 2nd round players can't come in and make an impact on your roster. For once, AJ didn't trade his 2nd rounders away, but he once again reaches for a guy. Gambling is for the later rounds, not the 1st and 2nd rounds.

26. cy18

cy18 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't draft players with the Lockout right?

27. cy18

cy18 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Won't know for a few years for sure.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I guess I am not that rasonable. I dont see a lot of GMs that have consistent blockbuster drafts as the type most Chargers fans expect. I also think that we have covered needs in the drafts. Every year IMHO we have had good picks and ehhh picks...

Never cared too much for English. I think he has the ability to be a good LB, but not a grat LB. I have not given up on him but if he cant win the starting role, I wont be surprised.

I will disagree with you on this one. I HATED the cro pick. I argued with people consistently about it. Then I saw him in camp and saw his athletic ability and understtod the risk that the Chargers took. I think he has the talent to be a great DB. His head gets in the way. He had his good season, then jackwagon primetime started talkin him up and he (as it appears to me) started to think he was entitled and didnt have to work at the craft. Stopped hitting like his mentor, and started thinking he was all that. It is the dudes mental approach that derailed him... Not his ability... I think this was a good pick, it just did not work out...

Never really liked Busted. First of all why hange your first name to buster? Well he and Bob "Mr. Glass" Sanders can sit in IR together.

Eli trade wsa awesome... I think AJ has been the best UDFA GM in the league. Give me UFDAs like Gates over a first ound pick any day... Need more Gates though...

That depends on need. I think it is bad if we have to expect rookies to make impacts the first year simply because they are high draft picks.

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I don't care if you're Mel Kiper or the infamous B4L, you can't possibly justify taking a STs jockey in the SECOND ROUND. There were good players on the board, and if we hadn't taken him I guarantee he'd still be waiting to hear his name called at this moment. If AJ thinks he's got a sneaky diamond in the rough, GREAT! But try to take him at an appropriate time.

Mouton could be the next Derek Brooks, that doesn't mean taking him in the 2nd round was necessary.

30. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Apparently the Chargers does.