1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone fired the HC and made it to the playoffs after a 1-3 start??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Sep 30, 2007.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    or should I just mail in the season and post to the Bolthead Cheer thread again

:icon_shrug:

:lol:

2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    This is a train wreck. Cut our losses now but AJ won't do that so he's ultimately toast as well.

3. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Good idea

4. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Worth a shot.

I don't know who the candidates are though. We should have stole McDaniel from NE before the season.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This is just a bad product. It's got great parts... but they're not put together well. So the whole thing just breaks down when it matters most.

But it's not like the thing performed well at the most critical time last year either. I mean, didn't it break down completely when the Patriots came into San Diego? I seem to recall it was fine at getting us to the dance, but it just didn't work when we needed it to. We should have known better than to set our expectations so high.

I'm glad I've got better things to do this year... I'm not going to invest (emotionally) in this Rottenclusterfuk until it works properly. Too many nuts, not enough Bolts.

Sleep well... I know I will.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

THAT'S THE BEST DAMN POST I'VE READ ALL FUGGING YEAR!!!!

:tup: :tup: :tup:

7. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    yeah right...i know you better than that.
    sooo, disapointing.
    i'm curious to see what kinds of excuses AJ makes in the papers this week.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Nickelbolt nailed it, I agree. I'm going to sleep fine after this and so should all of you here. This isn't on ME and my life goes on. COME ON PADRES!!!!

9. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Fan for 37 years. 1st post. If you fire Norv, who are you going to hire.... Marty? Do you really think A.J. will admit his mistake. Of course not, he can't save face with the Spanos. Blaming A.J. and Turner is easy but the players should realize after 3months............. Marty is gone and he will NEVER be back. Start hitting somebody bolts. We still have a chance. We have to be Physical and knock people on there rump... that means the O-line, the DB's the whole team!!!

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Indy at least won some games in the postseason.

The last Charger coach to win a playoff game was Boss Ross.

11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Welcome.

Before the game I said give Norv the season. After that meltdown I am not so sure we should give him that long.

If they get rid of Norv, and I personally would wait until the bye to make a decision, the only real possibility is having Riviera take over the squad. Norv would have to go.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Welcome to the board, hope you enjoy it
    When we were looking at head coaches, there were better options then Turner. My guy was Rex Ryan, the defensive coordinator for Baltimore. I also am very fond of his brother Rob Ryan (DC-Raiders). Both are hard nosed, love to play physical and smash mouth football and are both gifted defensive minds. I think we just picked the wrong person to lead us.

HC: Rex Ryan
    DC: Ron Rivera
    OC: Shelmon (I think he's ready to try) OR someone else

Problem solved

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I sensed maybe you thought I was over reacting to the deal here but as you are now seeing, I was not all that premature in my assessments. I was not happy after the Bears game even though we won. Posters said basically STFU and enjoy an ugly win. The team is jelling etc etc etc.

I would give these bastards until the BYE and if this team is under .500 by that mark, then fire the entire staff.

Get a new staff ready for next year by using this year to learn on the fly. The sooner the better. The excuses ran out yesterday.

Before the game, we had a Chiefs fan at the tailgater and I told him "our team had a history of making career back ups look like super stars and if you guys win today, you will rip the heart out of my team". :yes: :unsure:

I had to look that same dude in the eye and congradulate him on a good game. His team won.

We had posters ask, what the hell are you going to post at Bolttalk. Tell us now and to our faces so I did. The coaches need to be fired. The team has regressed and this is bullshiit.

Is the season over ?

No but I do not expect anything - especially the playoffs (Jim Moras video rant on the playoffs comes to mind).

Forget the playoffs because that is not even a possibility right now the way we are playing. Just shut it down.

The rest of the year will be a dog fight (ala Mike Vick Rules) and the last mangy mutt left standing will still have fleas in the AFC West - just pick any team.

14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    AJ gets a pass from me unless Norv and Cotrell are still here next year.

I would like to see them gone sooner rather than later, but I wouldn't blame him too much if he chose to stick with them through the year, simply because it's kinda unconventional to fire a HC midseason in the NFL.

But if they're not gone in the offseason, at the very least, (barring a miracle comeback under them of course) then I may very well change my entire tune on AJ Smith.

15. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Yep, this stuff is much easier to take when you are happy in the other elements of your life.

16. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    This is the beauty of living in San Diego! I finally figured this out in 2000 when we went 1-15, started going fishin at halftime... I have lived and died by the bolts, and to a lesser extent the padres since I was a kid... no more!

I will support this team, but just glad I dont live in green bay, doncha know, where NFL is all i have... :lol:

Saw the train wreck yesterday, went out diving for lobster 4th quarter... gonna have surf n turf watching Monday night football...!

GO BOLTS! :icon_eek: :abq1: :abq2:

FOUTS

17. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Wow, do we really have ton of diehard fans here. What an F'in joke! No wonder why the city council and local politicians don't want to discuss a new stadium. Cause 80% of our "diehard" fan base wants to go fishing and F'in rollerblading or whatever the hell else you can do out there instead if supporting this team that you probably won't have to worry about anymore when they leave town. I'm sorry but after the way this team has totally melted down I'm heartbroken, but the last thing I need to hear is a bunch of our "diehard" fan base jumping ship. Suck it up guys. A true diehard fan lives through it all.

18. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    A lot of the diehards here have lived through it all for 25+ years.

I've been watching this mostly repeating tape since the 1970s.

High expectations met by real failure.

We've lived through an owner that was too much of a cheapskate to pay his players and traded them. We've lived through a GM that was a possible mole for Al Davis and slowly dismantled the team, with that cheapskate owner's blessing. We've lived through another GM that decided he was allergic to first round draft picks.

We've lived through 4, now 5, HCs that couldn't find their azzes if you put both hands on their rumps. We've lived through about a half-dozen suck-*** QBs, one of which is possibly the worst of all time.

We've lived through using retread QBs that had previous glory with other teams before coming to us, in a desperate attempt to catch some, any, residual magic they had in their arms.

Now, those that have just become fans the past 4 or 5 years and are now jumping ship, then yeah, those can be criticized.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    EXACTLY!!!
    Right now, I'm just looking at saving this Chargers era and making it promising again!!!!

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I wouldn't go that far - hell even if we fire Norv and Cottrell at the end of the year we can still save THIS ERA. This is just one bad year and trust me, good teams can overcome this. All that's needed is a better coach. I don't know if we have someone on our staff who can handle the DC or HC job (Pagano? Rivera? Bradley?) but I know for sure we can get some good coaches in the off season.

I still want my boy Rex Ryan!

21. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    :tup:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I do too.
    I for one did not want Marty fired!!
    After he declined the one year extension, I wanted him to finish out his contract and see who is available in 2008.
    At the very least, Marty would have kept things in order for the next HC.

Norv is dismanteling EVERYTHING and will damage us further.
    I'm just looking for a coach who will stop the damage!!!!
    Then see who we can get next season!!!

23. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Like the HC...would have preferred GM as our DC.

24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    GM?

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'll still pay attention to the team, but all I'm saying is that I've lowered my expectations. I don't expect to make the playoffs this year. Hell, I don't expect to beat the Broncos next week or the Raiders the week after. If we do win both games I'll be pleasantly surprised. If we make the playoffs I'll be absolutely thrilled. And if we win a playoff game... well... let's just say I'll be shocked. More shocked than I was to see this team melt down yesterday.

Like it or not, people... this team revealed themselves yesterday as a complete fraud. A flash in the pan. Last season they caught everyone off guard... and then melted down in the playoffs. We all got over that meltdown, the players did not.

The Broncos are gonna torch this secondary and their defense is gonna bring the house all day long... and the game isn't even gonna be close. The sooner you accept that as reality the easier it will be to stomach when the game ends.

I'll go out and do a couple hour bike ride in the mountains before the game starts. Then I'll come home and play with my boy. Maybe take him and the wife for a hike in the park. TiVo the game and watch it at night when they're both asleep. This way I won't feel like I wasted a perfectly good Sunday watching a bunch of jokers try to pull a rabbit out of thier collective a\ss.

Now tell me what's wrong with that?

26. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    I have, for 30 years... tired of being bummed over the Chargers... why waste my time... Its just a game, winning the superbowl isnt gonna help my self-esteem, yes, I want to win, but I have awakened from living and dying by my team... Believe me if you were at my house on Sundays, I cheer louder than anyone on the block...

btw, if it were snowing here in San Diego for most of the season, we'd have a new stadium, EVERYONE would be a diehard fan, and the chicks would be fat... :tdown:

Albies are at the East butterfly, anyone want to go fishin next Sunday? :icon_twisted:

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm not even concerned about the playoffs at this moment.

28. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    LOL I can't argue with that one LOL

29. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    5¢Bolt you are the wisest man on this board.

We can hope against hope that they can learn to cover the 5 yard slant but I don't think that is possible at this point. So dialing down the expectations is the only way to keep the sanity. 3rd and 19....

• Like Like x 1