1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Has the Norv Turner era already been justified?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Dec 31, 2009.

?

Is the last three years successful with no Super Bowl?

1. Yes.

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. No, we need a Super Bowl victory

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Here's the simple hypothetical question: If the Chargers lost in the AFCC game this year and Norv was fired in the offseason were the last 3 years a success?

Leaving the poll anonymous.

And please, no inane Norv Turner debate in this thread.

I'm simply polling everyone anonymously to see if B4L is right when he continuously posts that most here don't care about the Super Bowl and are happy that we just win a few playoff games under Norv.

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Firing Norv is NOT a good idea unless the Chargers have a coach like Bill Cowher lined up first.

3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Doesn't matter.

Let's say for argument's sake and the sake of the poll they do whether it'd be a good thing or not.

4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Go Team! Were #1!

:abq2::abq1:

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    2 AFCCG in 3 years, I'd say yes

Attn B4L, just like the early 80's, if there is no superbowl win I'll feel like there would be a huge hole in this era

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Is the second one a prediction for the remainder of this season? :icon_shrug:

7. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    no, it's following the hypotethical scenario posted in this thread (which you probably didn't read/understand)

EDIT: Here's the quote so you don't strain yourself

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Norv has done an excellent job with this team, I don't think he'll be fired without a Super Bowl win nor should he be. Norv has done more with this team than Marty could have dreamed of doing so we are on the right track.

I'd love to see the Norv lead Bolt's to be the first three peat winners ever of the Lombardi. How sweet would that be, but we still need that first one.

9. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Moot.

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Bah - serves me right for just reading the poll title and not the first post :p

So I voted "yes" it'd be considered successful, but would I be satisfied if we never got a Championship? No, not at all.

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Although I like Norv for what he's done these past few years he was still hired for one reason only. He was hired to fining what was started and get us to the dance, if he doesn't get us there I will be majorly disappointed. That doesn't make his time here a total bust. All I have to say is we're due soon fellas, we're due soon.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It would be successful in the eyes of ESPN and other national sports medias. In fact, they'd be happy because they don't want us in the Super Bowl at all.

In the eyes of the vast majority of Chargers fans... NO!

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I'm not seeing the results in this poll I expected.

Norv's doing a good job, and while I think that could still be said even if we don't win it all this year, I find it hard to believe anyone would label the 3 year era a "success" with no Super Bowl.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    7 of 14 is neither a majority nor an indicator of the entire Chargers fanbase.

Get over yourself.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

So you think there are no other Chargers fans in the world besides those that post on BT?

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Whoops.

I misread your post.

Apologies.

17. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    hey B4L, that there is what's called an apology for misinterpreting a post

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Bottom line. He is one of the most successful coaches in Chargers history.

So yes his era is justified, just as Gilman's, Coryell's, and Ross' is. He takes us to a Superbowl and he will be the rarity in this franchises history.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Oh... Sorry, I missed your reply.
    Yeah... I thought this was about if Norv's time should be considered successful now (at the time).

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    See, I don't consider Coryell or Ross's eras to be complete successes.

Neither achieved the bottom line: A Super Bowl win.

Sure, they're much better than most anyone else who's coached the team but that's not the end goal in the game.

Likewise, if the Chargers don't win it all this year and for whatever reason Norv isn't coaching here next year I wouldn't consider it a complete success.

I'd probably view the era in a better light than B4L would, but a success? no

Gillman's was successful. He won what was the ultimate championship in his league at the time.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Re: Has the Norv Turner era already been justified?

In terms of overall W-L record yes it has, he already has the best winning percentage of all Charger coaches.

Since no Chargers HC has won a Super Bowl yet, there is no way to judge his total body of work as he is still employed, and this season is still under way.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    The goal shouldn't be to be better than previous Chargers coaches. It should be to win the Super Bowl.

That being said, I probably should have picked better verbiage for the thread title.

"Justified" suggests that it was the right move to hire him but that wasn't really what I was going for with the hypothetical question.

The question is, if they don't win it all this year and Norv is, for whatever reason, not coaching here anymore next year was his 3 year term a success?

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Those eras were great because both coaches got the best with what they had.

If Coryell had any defense at all, I think he would have won a Super Bowl or 2.

Ross was a MAJOR reason for the success from 92-96!!! He was a MAJOR reason for the win in the AFCC in Pittsburgh.
    Problem... no team stood a snowball's chance in Hell against the 49ers that season.

The team we have now is WAYYYYYYYY FREAKIN' BETTER than either of those teams!!! Now we're stacked at offense, defense, and special teams!!! Anything less of a Super Bowl title is failure!!!

24. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The answer is "yes", any other way of looking at it is egocentric.

I would say that 5 teams have a realistic shot at the title this year (Chargers, Saints, Colts, Vikings, and Cardinals), and one has to consider that each of those teams has the talent and coaching (well, the Vikings do not have the coaching, but have enough talent to compensate) to get a 2010 SB victory.

By picking "no", you fail to acknowledge that there are other teams in this league with talent that is comprable to ours, and are essentially saying that it is not acceptable to lose a hard-fought game against a team that is just as hungry as we are.

All five of us are starving at this point, too.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Since the Super Bowl is why all the games are played then any HC is a failure if they have not won a SB, as some see it. Bill Cowher took 15 years or the like to win one. I suppose it's really up to ownership and the GM as to what is acceptable or not.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Depending on what they have to work with. I think Kiffen was a very good coach but he got a raw real. Then there's coaches like Switzer who won the lottery.

As for Cowher... he was given a 7-9 team that hadn't seen the playoffs in almost a decade.

Rookie season... got them to 11-5 and to the playoffs.
    Second seaon... got them to 9-7 and to the wild card
    Third season... got the to 12-4 and to the AFCC
    Fourth season... got them to 11-5 and to the Super Bowl (almost won it too)
    Fifth season... got them to the playoffs
    Sixth season... got them to the AFCC

Before the Super Bowl season, he got them to the AFCC 5 times and to the Super Bowl once. He had LOTS of success before getting a Super Bowl title!!

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    It's not black and white "failure" or "success"

However, if a HC doesn't win a Super Bowl can you really call him a complete success?

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Who cares. If you don't win the Super Bowl you have failed to meet the end goal, which is overcoming those equally tallented and equally hungry teams.

Again. This doesn't not mean he's a complete failure, it just means he isn't completely successful.

FWIW, I think it'd be a dumb move to can Norv no matter what happens from here on out, but I was setting up that scenario for the hypothetical question.

29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If a baseball pitcher never throws a perfect game is he successful?

I'm just stating my honest opinion and yes, I do believe if a coach or manager wins more than he loses he's been successful. I mean what else can it be called, Championships are a measure compared to perfection and Norv has a couple division championships. While true he doesn't have a world championship, his success to this point can't be discounted and labeled a failure.

If you agree that Coryell, Gillman and Ross were successful then Norv would have to be included in such company. Trying to down play what Norv has accomplished, only to prove or push an agenda of hatred or dislike is petty at best.

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    FAIL!!!
    No need to explain why... it's self explanatory!!!