1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Has the Sand Run Out of the Glass on this Chargers Team? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Nov 7, 2011.

?

Are the Chargers on the Way Down?

Poll closed Nov 14, 2011.
  1. No. We've still got enough talent and the mojo to win it all

28.1%
  2. Maybe. We've squandered our chances but with a little luck this can still be our year.

34.4%
  3. Yes. We blew it. We got old, AJ F-ed up the draft and the team is in shambles.

18.8%
  4. Yes. F-ing Norv. He f-ed it all up. He drove our Ferrari into the ditch.

18.8%
  1. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    When Norv inherited the Charger Ferrari from Marty way back when, we were a team on the rise. We had the talent, we had youth, we were drafting well and we were rolling. Remember when we were EVERYBODY'S favorite to make it to the Super Bowl during every pre-season?

Where did all that potential go? Battered by a plethora of slow starts each and every season, did we pizz away all that potential and talent? Lots has changed since those heady days of exuberance and expectations of greatness. All the players are older, some injured, some have retired or changed addresses in the NFL. What we have left on the team is but a shell of the te3am Norv inherited... and what do we have to show for it?

Several AFC West titles, no AFC championships, no Super Bowl appearances and no Lombardi trophies.

Have we peaked already (maybe a few season's ago) and now on the steady decline to also ran?

2. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Don't mean for this to be a b*tch post. Just wanting to know what everyone thinks. Did the last 4 years of drafts screw us up so much that we need to enter a rebuilding era?

3. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Let's put it this way, we are lucky to be in the AFC west, and still have a chance to make it into the "Tournament."

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Or the AFC Least, as it is called currently. ;)

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Continually missing on 1st rounders (and 2nd rounders) will eventually bite you in the ***. Particularly, when you are adverse to bringing in "big name" free agents. There's only so many "diamonds in the rough" to be found in later rounds and among the UDFA crop. There has been a talent drain on the Chargers, no doubt. The question is whether or not it has reached critical mass........ stay tuned. ;)

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    A good draft year would help. But I'm not holding my breath.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Poor hiring decisions have led to where we are, Norv Turner, Ted Cottrell, Greg Manusky, losing Hudson Houck, Ron Rivera, failing to even explore the options of bringing Wade Phillips back or hiring John Harbaugh of the currently 7-1 49ers.....and of course some mind blowing retarded draft picks on AJ's part.

That said if Rivers was playing C average football we'd probably be 6-2 at the moment.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    We can still win the AFC Worst but that's it. Pittsburgh would eat our breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. Houston too most probably unless our D gets their S together.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If this defense can somehow find it's own arse and get their collective shite together, the chance is slim and none and slim is getting ready to bailout. The defensive woes I blame on Ski, playing off and way to soft in the backfield. It looks to me that they're playing a loose coverage without any man responsibility, just a damn chunk of field.

The offensive skill players I would hope will be getting their second wind going and get as healed up as they can get. I don't have much faith in Ryanna though, his favorite place seems to be in the trainers office. I have no clue as to what River's problem is and I ain't buying he's hurt up cause he took a beating against the pack and kept going. One thing for sure, he isn't very good when flushed out of the pocket. It may have something to do with those braces he wears on both knees and if so, they need to find a better way as they seem to restrict his movement like he's the tin man. All the WR's and best TE in football have been playing hurt, it's hard to get a rhythm going when a guy can't finish out a play or shouldn't be out there in the first place. This doesn't even take into account of the O-lines problems and is no excuse for River's play, he is as much to blame as anyone else on the field and it needs to get fixed soon if at all possible.

Hell, just fix it.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Can you just combine Yes because of Norv and yes because of AJ since I don't believe it is exclusively one or the other's fault, but a team effort

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    John Harbaugh is the HC in Baltimore. His brother Jim Harbaugh is the HC in SF (I would take either Harbaugh brother or the d-bag we have now). Just wanted to make that correction, but other than that, I agree with you

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The defense wasn't a whole lot better last year, despite what the stats say. We haven't had a good defense is quite a few years.

As for injuries, when your team has major injuries every single year, at some point you need to stop using it as an excuse and realize there is a systematic issue, whether it is the training staff, coaching staff, or scouting dept (Possibly all 3), fact is, the issue needs to be found and resolved. We have used injuries as a reason for our failures for 4-5 years now, and at some point they are no longer an valid reason, but an excuse made to cover up the true reason for those injuries

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    ;) J. Harbaugh then.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't believe I said injuries were the problem, my whole emphasis is, " there is a glitch in the system" let's get it fixed. I'm talking from the water boy/girl all the way up to Deano's office. There needs to be a pow-wow where each person can speak his/her mind without fear of retribution. I hope I made my point this time around, I have no clue as to what the nature of the problem is and don't want to guess or speculate.

15. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    We have enough talent on the squad. Unfortunately they have the mental fortitude of a 6 year old...

16. allendas

allendas Bolts 2013!!!

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes Norv is too blame he's f'd **** up time after time and now it is too late to fix what is broken ,plus he wasted alot of talent over the years!

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    The blame starts at the top people. You can blame Dean Spanos for the team's inability to win a championship. We had the talent to win when Marty led the 14-2 season, but he predictably wet the bed in the playoffs. AJ was convinced that the Chargers would never win a Super Bowl with Marty at the helm, and desperately wanted a change at the head coaching position.

Dean though, allowed things to fester...... instead of making a decisive decision about the direction of his franchise, he let things drag out. By the time Marty was let go, all the best assistant coaches had already left the staff. ANYONE (including Norv Turner) that would be hired as head coach, would be starting off at a disadvantage. Therefore, instead of Wade, we had Teddy..... the list goes on.

If Marty had been let go in a timely manner, the Chargers would've had a much deeper roster of HC's to choose from, and they would've been able to retain more of their staff, or attract better outside assistants. If you want to win a championship, you don't overhaul your coaching staff after all the other teams have taken the best talent.

The LT vs Michael Turner decision was also Dean's doing. He was more worried about fan reaction of letting go a longtime favorite, than he was doing what was in the best interest of the team. You don't keep a fading star when you have a player just coming into his prime. RB's have a short shelf life as it is, and LT had a ton of miles, while Turner had been underutilized. The smart move was to keep Turner and bid LT goodbye. If you want to win, sentimentality has no place in making football decisions.