1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hate to say it but Rivers not in the same league as Peyton Manning

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 14fouts, Jan 25, 2010.

1. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    As much as I love Rivers and I think he's def one of top 3 or 4 qbs in the league- Peyton Manning is just on another level. Watching the game yest as it went along you could see him just figuring out the Jets def more and more as the game went along and on their last drive before the half, you just knew it was over. I mean I have never really liked the guy or thought he was that great, but the more he's played and older hes got and the more I've watched him play- I'm more and more impressed he's the closest thing to Montana that i've seen in my years of watching the nfl. I'm not faulting Rivers for his play against the Jets-I think he played well enough to win, just threw 1 bad pass really, but bottom line if Manning was on our side that game we woulda won, despite all the stupid penalties, and missed field goals.

2. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    disagree.

if manning was our coach we wudda won

3. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    There is some truth to that though up until Manning finally won the SB he was horrid in the playoffs. I think PR is better than Manning in the playoffs at the same stage of their careers.

4. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm just saying right now at this point. I know manning has been in league a lot longer than PR and has started every game since he got there. So I'm not saying that PR wont end up going down as a better qb, but he will have to lead the chargers to a couple superbowl victories at least to be in that discusssion.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If your focus is right now you may as well have started a thread titled "Hate to say it, but water is wet and fire is hot".

6. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry my crystal balls in the shop or I would have said right now Peyton Manning is a better qb, but when its all said and done Rivers will win 3 superbowls and Manning only 2 and Rivers will go down as a better qb.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'm just saying you pulled your best Captain Obvious routine with this thread. :icon_shrug:

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    No shame in that, but just like Manning figured it out, Rivers will do the same

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Nobody is in the same league as manning. He is taking that crappy team to the superbowl.

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Doesn't Manning have a greater latitude in play calling?

I think they are equal physically & mentally

Manning gets extra points for having more experience regular season & playoffs.

11. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    In all fairness, the rest of Manning's team didn't melt down around him like we did for Rivers. Not sure whether or not Manning deserves credit for helping the rest of his team maintain composure.

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    The way I understand it, Manning gets 2 plays called to him.1 run and 1 pass. He has the option to run the 1 he wants depending on the defence.

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Rivers 2nd pick was inexcusable, horrible decision + worse throw = Jets short field TD.

Rivers is not innocent in this loss.

14. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    You're right, though I don't think it was quite as bad as it looked. Haven't heard the official explanation if it was addressed by Rivers but neither gates nor Jackson we're looking for the ball - they should have known the blitz was coming and adjusted.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    careful. You might be accused of having your mind made up that Rivers is the worst player on the team. :icon_rofl:

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There isn't another QB in the game right now that is on Payton's level. He is one of the best, if not the best QB to ever play the game. So to say Rivers isn't on his level, is not really anything negative toward Rivers.

17. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I would say yes. That said he was seen at the end of one game with 17 seconds on the clock asking the sidelines for one more play before an attempted field goal.

At this point, I'd have to rate Manning as the better QB. He's a great field manager, and remember...he lost his best WRs before this season began, and the Colts probably would have been undefeated to this point had they not pulled Manning in the Jets game. Manning has learned to get the best out of whatever offensive team he has working with him. I have ever been in either locker room, but I'd bet the house Manning has much more developed leadership skills than does Rivers. Four MVPs ain't chopped liver.

I do think Rivers is one tough dude, and perhaps his time will come and perhaps it won't. For those of you who are old enough to remember Archie Manning...as good a QB as any of them...he never got anything but lousy teams and a career full of "ain'ts."

His kids are having much better careers than he ever had, and Archie was a fine QB...some win, and some lose, and some get rained out. That's the nature of the game.

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    There's also something to be said for a team that maintains continuity.

Look at that defense he's got this year.

The Colts are a complete team now just as they were when Peyton won his first SB.

They're gonna crush the Saints.

Rivers' day will come...

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    So you actually know what the play call was and the hot reads and routes?? Or are you just talking out of your hindpart's again?

20. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    There's no shame in that. Peyton may end up being the best QB to ever play the game. He's definitely the best of this era.

And I don't think anyone was even trying to argue that Rivers was better, so I'm not really sure what the point of the thread is.

21. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Hold the praisal until after the superbowl. I have a feeling Manning is about to be humbled. If Brees wins are we going to say he is in another league over Rivers? No, not at all.

22. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    It's not just Manning it's the whole Colts team. The game basically started out the same for the Colts as it did for the Chargers but the difference was that the Colts made their adjustments and then blew the Jets away. The Chargers did NOT make any adjustments (that could be seen anyway) and went on to lose the game. Maybe the coach is the difference, maybe Manning or maybe the whole mindset of the team.

23. Astro Zombie

Astro Zombie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    But why even bother comparing a guy just entering his prime to a guy that's been a first ballot hall of famer for several years now?

24. CaptainTapp

CaptainTapp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Dude... I was kidding. Relax and learn what sarcasm looks like. My point was I had sat down and wrote out my argument and you completely ignored it, just to restate exactly what you had said before, just so you wouldn't have to agree with someone other than yourself.

Anyway I agree that Rivers is not on Manning's level (obviously) but he has the potential to get there given a few more years of experience. There is one other big difference however, Rivers loses his cool way too quickly. Manning gets pissed too (before yesterdays game I think they showed him absolutely tearing Jeff Saturday and the line a new one in a previous game) but on the field he stays ridiculously calm for the most part, and had learned to avoid the big mistakes. Whether it is experience or personality differences, who knows, but the temper is something Rivers will definitely need to learn to control, and I think eventually he will.

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm talking about a QB not on the same page with his reciever and throwing a lame wobbly pass into triple coverage. Even if Gates had cut his route early he'd have been blown up by the 2 guys with him step for step or the saftey (Lenhard) coming over top.

Go watch the play again sport, its easier to talk about football when you know something about it.

26. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    LOL...your right it was a dumb throw. That one Farve threw yesterday was unbelivable to me...you just can't make that throw! Even the greats screw up sometimes! Farve is notorious for it.

Rivers has the potential to be as successful as any QB in the game...just give him a little more time. Payton is top gun now, Rivers may be next!

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Okay coach, you tell us how it's done. :icon_rofl:

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Only when I have too.:tup: Most fans around here seem to know a bad pass when they see it.

29. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    It's a fair reality check. Rivers is a very very good QB but Manning is a HOF'mer. If Rivers keeps developing the way he has been and the Bolts organization makes the right moves it's not out of the question that he can be as good as Manning.

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Rivers is definately top 5,:yes: but Peyton Manning is on a different level than everyone else. :icon_eek: