1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Have the refs eased up on Illegal Contact?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Jan 22, 2007.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Throughout the last part of the year, and especially during these playoffs, it seems that the refs have eased up BIG time on calling Illegal Contact.

During the Charger-Pats game, the Pat corners were all over our WRs. Same thing during the Colts-Pats game - both teams' corners were putting the old-school blanket down.

Last year, there would have been a million illegal contact calls with some of the plays I saw yesterday.

I'm not opposed to this necessarily - our own corners are better in press coverage - but I just don't like to see rules open to interpretation. Just like that stupid "In the Grasp" rule and the "Two Timeout" rule that Grossman got away with yesterday.

I couldn't help but think that if some of those corners had been Jammer or Florence, yellow flags would be flying all over the place.

2. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I think you're right, B&G. The refs were all over us like a bad smell for much of the season; sometimes it seemed like we couldn't cover a WR without getting flagged.

I wonder though, if officials simply get tired toward the end of the season like everybody else. They never even saw the Pats player who tagged Philip Rivers in the playoff game---that should've earned a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, but not one of them evidently spotted it, even though we could see it on national television.:icon_evil:

Personally, I think pro football, like the tax code, would benefit from simplifying the rules, making them understandable to everyone, and then NOT changing them every year. But, that's just me.:icon_shrug:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
  4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    plus the holding rule for o-lineman has been completely thrown out. Its pretty obvious they're just letting them play. Just a guess though. If the chargers did a hold or bump in pass interference there would be a flag.:yes: :bolt: