1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Haynesworth, Redskins reach $100M deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerJeff, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Moving swiftly in the first hours of free agency, the Washington Redskins opened their deep pockets and snagged perhaps the biggest name available: All-Pro defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.

The longtime Tennessee Titans defensive tackle agreed to a seven-year deal worth approximately $100 million early Friday morning. The Redskins, known for their expediency in such matters, wasted no time scheduling a 5 p.m. news conference for their latest marquee signing.

Haynesworth's deal came within hours of another Redskins blockbuster: a six-year, $54 million agreement to re-sign cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

A stout, sack-producing interior lineman is just what the Redskins have needed. Haynesworth had a career-high 8 1/2 sacks last year, more than one-third of Washington's team total (24). The 27-year-old lineman is 6-foot-6, weighs 320 pounds and has 24 sacks in seven NFL seasons since the Titans drafted him in the first round out of the University of Tennessee in 2002.

Haynesworth last year also had 75 tackles, 22 quarterback pressures, seven tackles for a loss and forced a team-high four fumbles.

The moves for Haynesworth and Hall marked a return to form for Redskins owner Dan Snyder, who for much of the decade has won the unofficial NFL offseason title with big-money signings, often negotiated within hours of the midnight start of free agency. The team was uncharacteristically quiet last year - no major deals at all during the entire free agency period - but an 8-8 season with an aging roster left holes to fill.

It was uncertain whether the Redskins would be able to fit Haynesworth under the salary cap, but the front office spent this month renegotiating several contracts of current players to clear money for the upcoming season. The team also saved money under the cap by releasing linebacker Marcus Washington.

Hall's deal includes $22.5 million in guaranteed money, giving the 25-year-old cornerback his second big payday in as many years. He was guaranteed around $24 million in a seven-year, $70 million contract he signed a year ago with Oakland, but he struggled to adjust to the Raiders' man-to-man defense and was waived after eight games.

The Redskins picked him up less than a week later, and he provided a needed boost to a secondary beset by too many injuries and not enough big plays. Hall played in seven games and started the last four, eventually moving ahead of Carlos Rogers on the depth chart.

Hall's five interceptions for the season - three with Oakland, two with Washington - were three more than any other cornerback on the Redskins roster. He was a model citizen during his short time in the nation's capital, avoiding the type of temperamental outbursts that prompted the Atlanta Falcons to trade him to Oakland in 2008.

Hall therefore became a top offseason priority, with Snyder wanting to work a deal before the cornerback had a chance to test the free agent market. The negotiations with Hall's agents, Alvin Keels and Joel Segal, went to the last minute - and maybe a little beyond.

link

• Like Like x 1
  2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Albert Haynesworth just sealed his fate...

I cant believe someone will pay him that money. He wears down too often in games.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807

man... what a waste of money. :no:

• Like Like x 1
  5. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

Hall might be a "star" in the NFC, but he sucked out loud with Jokeland, then again, (they could take a great player and turn them mediocre). He sure as heck isn't worth 44 mil. Haynesworth isn't worth 100 mil either. Could be two more monumental busts in Redskins history.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I just question how he'll respond on the field after earning one of the biggest contracts evah. Serious question about whether his fire will be lit

7. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Dan Snyder is freaking nuts!! Haynesworth will play no more than 2 years there and then go away.

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    We'll know first hand as we play the 'skins at home this year.

• Like Like x 2
  9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    "Hey Hey Hey"

[​IMG]

10. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    As long as he doesnt stomp any charger faces..we will be fine

I feel bad for TitanFan24 to lose such a good player. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  11. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    well now MERRIMAN is going to want 100m... great thanks dan synder

• Like Like x 1
  12. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Hey man, I haven't been on in months and just came in to check out what's going on here........don't feel sorry for me, LOL.

AH and I went to college together and have a couple of mutual friends and I've known since October that he was probably a goner. Somebody was going to throw stupid money at him and the sucka is named Daniel Snyder.

The Titans seemingly lose good players all the time and stay in the hunt. I just hope we can get some Pittsburgh-like luck one of these years.

I'd just like to get a WR worth a d*** to be honest.

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    Perfect place for him.

NFC East.

He can try and squish Eli.

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :lol: the thought of Hayesworth pancaking Eli, McNabb and Romo is priceless~ Maybe he was worth the money after all! :icon_shrug:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I was going to say I'm glad we don't have to face him except once every four years - of course one of those every four years is this year

and I do hope he pancakes Eli.

16. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Man there's so much money coming out of D.C. with Congress, The White House, Dan Snyder's office...
    Spending is winning, right Al?

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    FU Snyder :icon_evil: Your killing the league with signings like this. 100 million with 41M guaranteed for a DT?

18. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    ok I do look forward to that.:yes:

19. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    It's Dan Snyder's MO...overpay an aging star or a great play with baggage/questionable character an outrageous amount of money to get them to come here and pray they live up to it. Players darn sure ain't coming here to win rings, they know ol' Danny Boy tends to spend foolishly and the ones that are just looking to get paid end up here. I could run off a list but it would be completely unnecessary and not hard to find.

I might as well live in Oakland East. :icon_eek:

The local columnists and Sports Talk 980 think this combined with D. Hall's overpriced deal will end up being a foolish move given that they already little cap room anyway. And this does nothing to help their O-line, which is a big sore spot. It will be another year of mediocrity here in DC.

Chalk up a win for us next season when the Skins visit the Q. Bank it. :tup:

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No freaking way is this cheap shot, head-stomping POS worth a $100M contract. The Foreskins have lost their minds. :lol:

Pure Jeff Fisher - now he's going to have to scour the TN prison system for the next thug to plug into his DL. :icon_rofl:

21. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    You got it buddy!

I hear we have a couple of prospects at the Shady Acres CCA that are coming in for workouts.

You have to have at least one felon on your defensive front :no: