1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

HDTV recommendation?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fouts, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    My main TV took a dump, might be repairable, of course just out of warranty. :rolleyes: My main concern is something that doesnt get pixelly during fast NFL action. Looking 55-60" range, dont need the smart stuff, wifi, etc. but if there is a good HDTV that happens to have that stuff, ok. Seems like most are going to that level anyways.

I need a good TV to watch my Chargers, because I refuse to return to that dump Qualcomm till the Spanos familia builds a nicer/safer stadium for their product, so me and my family can watch a game there.
    :abq2::abq1:

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I'm no expert, but from my experience, it seems like your main concern is "refresh rate."
    Just about any base model comes with at least 120hz, these days.
    240hz is nice, but you'll usually pay significantly more for it.

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Samsung or Sony, if price is no issue. I'm a big Samsung fan. They make outstanding HDTV's.

That said, my cheapy off-brand Scepter from Walmart has worked like a champ and even a semi shifty internet stream of Thursday's game looked solid.

If I had the dough, I'd still have gone with a Samsung or Sony tho, totally worth it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

4. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
  5. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    • Like Like x 1
  6. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    If you go to Costco, see if you can get the floor model. They will take off $100. Maybe I just lucked out. ;)

7. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
  8. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    The source of the "pixelly" problem is not your television at home, rather your cable or satellite provider. Some of the manufacturers have come up with solutions to cope with the heavily compressed signal, but never totally comepensate for it.

Back in the old days of analog tv, there were channels 2-13 on the VHF and I think about another 80 of so on the UHF. The FAA could not assign two adjacent channels in one local market because of crosstalk. So this made for much less than a hundred channels in the entire universe. Primitive forms of HDTV appeared in the late 1980's, but the problem was that the bandwidth of this signal was so large, it was expensive to record it, and impossible to broadcast it.

So nowadays you have typically a thousand channels available and the HDTV ones are about six times larger than those original analog ones. Where did all of this space come from ?? !!!

Somebody unfamiliar with the technical side of broadcasting would say... well it is digital. That is only partially correct as digital signals are pretty big too. What came with the advent of digital was this evil curse known as data compression. The Devil appeared very harmlessly on the scene with humble compression rates of 2 to 1, then 3 to 1. We all knew he was dirty and smelly and soon it was 25 to 1, then 50 to 1. So indeed the answer to how to fit the number of channels into the broadcast spectrum is to compromise the quality of them. The market has decided that it prefers barrels of rot gut wine over a few pristine bottles.

How most data compression works is that the screen is divided into little square blocks of pixels. Every last pixel has a mathematical YUV value... (derived from RGB). Say green is a constant and variances in red, blue and luminance make up your mathematical value. Each block of pixels is compared to the one before it. Any redundancies are removed, thus compressing the signal. Normal talking heads programs create great redundancies... (because nothing is moving all that much)... so they look almost uncompressed. Sports and action movies are an unmitigated fargin' disaster for grid compression imo.

On the other side of the equation, without compression there would be no IPTV... (internet protocol tv or web based service). No You Tube, no juveniles making smut films of each other and posting them on Facebook. These files don't take up a great mount of space on a server and can be buffered in a small device like a telephone.

If you are interested in compression, look up terms like jpeg and mpeg and read about them. In the meantime when selecting a televsion, I would go to a big store during a football game you are not interested in and just eyeball the quality and pick what YOU think looks good. Don't be surprised if they are ALL crap and don't provide the improvement you desire. The fargin' greed of the business of corporate broadcasting has already screwed thing up royally.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    A smart *** response from you is par from the course and I was expecting it. Watching a blu-ray will give you the added bonus that the images are progressive and not interlaced which is another form of compression which dilutes the resolution by 50%.

Working at a broadcaster I can see what the quality looks like entering the pipeline and what it looks like coming back. Be a creative as you want, and blather your blatherings. The mathematics behind this equation do not lie and are not subjective.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    What the **** are you on about Sandy? I wasn't addressing your remarks at all (I quoted Fouts, not you).

I was talking about the TV display technology, not the broadcast tech...... wasn't that plain enough? :confused:

12. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    You figure? The boldened part of your quote wasn't a slap back at the last sentence in the third to last paragraph in my original post. Sorry. That must have been a coincidence.

Look... even with the limited technical literacy of a graphic artist you have to know that images become "pixelly" when the INPUT resolution is not there. Take something small and make it big and eventually it falls apart. But that is like explaining to Jack that Jeromey Clary knows how to block or to Pumpy that Kaeding made a very high percentage of the FGs he attempted. A fargin' glorious waste of time. If you want to believe that one flat screen or the other makes heavily processed mgeg compression look "great"... who am I to convince anyone on this board otherwise?

13. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Well got back from Costco, got Samsung in link, got additional coverage to 5 years, not bad works out to be $20 a year for years 3,4,5. Also got a blu ray player in case I want to stream something, or make it "smart." :D Had to add a case of Torpedo IPA to get over the charge on my CC. :confused:

So far so good, the electronics guy told me to set it to Dynamic over Standard setting, almost too bright. Watching college football, grass is bright green, almost fluorescent.

Go Bolts! :helm1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    I only skimmed your post...... it wasn't anything I didn't already know. ;)

Regardless of the broadcast quality, the display tech does make a difference. Plasma gives better back levels, a more natural color balance, and smoother gradient transitions than LCD or LED. A computer screen (even a hi-res one) exaggerates the pixelated quality. Plasma smooths out the transmission deficiencies better. That's my impression anyway, and I stand by it. You also don't have to worry about the screen draw rate with plasma.

Obviously, screen size matters a lot. When you're dealing with a fixed resolution, the bigger the screen, the more the limitations of the broadcast become evident. 50" (and under) at a normal viewing distance should look quite good on a HD 1080i feed. When you go bigger, the flaws become more noticeable..... less so, with a true HD source like blu-ray, or course.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    The "electronics guy" is a nitwit. ;)

Never use the dynamic setting..... it's over saturated and very inaccurate. That's what stores use to make an impression on customers. Standard is better, but you might see if there's a calibration guide for your set in an online review.

16. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Likewise... with your response. Nice that you know about data compression. But if we are advising a guy who comes back with a Costco's sales associates advice about dynamic picture settings... we might as well be teaching Jackfrosing OL technique. There is a certain bash your head against the wall quality to football forums. :(

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Well, it was a simple advice question about what TV to buy... This isn't the experts AV Forum after all. ;)

18. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
    You attack Blue and now ME?
    I agree that Katie made high percentage of his kicks in the regular season! He just sucks in the playoffs!
    Go have a bad day somewhere else..... Hope it gets better for you!

19. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Ah shaddap!

See you at the draft. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
    Fine! :D

21. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Damn dude, the standard setting is just fine by me, in fact, looks just fine, prob wont do a damn thing to adjust it. I aint that anal retentive about TV, now my passions in life yup. :tup:

22. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Good. Glad you managed to solve your little problem and I wish you well servicing your passions.

23. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Hey thanks lil buddy, I appreciate yer help, you sure is smart, not as smart as Dr, Chao, but smart at TVs n such, that's a good trade to know.

24. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Broadcasting and IT are not real difficult. Writing code is slightly more complicated. But it all pales next to the complexity of practising medicine. How tiny little amounts of obscure chemicals effect the human condition is absolutely fascinating.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  25. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Hahaha

Now that this thread has spun out of control, how do y'all clean your tv screens, my 3 & 5 yr old saw fit to put their handprints all over the new sceen.

26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Costco has been selling this eScreen stuff https://www.escreencleaner.com
    for awhile...I love it...great for TVs, laptops, digital photo frames, smartphones, sunglasses, etc.
    It's about $14.95 there (a slightly better & cheaper package than eScreen's website), but you're set for life:
    One giant (16oz) bottle, one medium (8oz) bottle, & two small (2oz) bottles,
    + 4 perfect microfiber cloths.

I don't see it on-line...at my (La Mesa) Costco it was near the portable hard drives.

And even though it really is a "lifetime supply," I actually bought a second package
    because so many friends saw me using it on my MacBook, and begged for some.

(and, of course, it's Costco, so you can easily return it if your experience isn't as awesome as mine has been)

• Like Like x 1
  27. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
    For $20.00 bucks that looks great.....

I have always used a very soft tee shirt...

just sprayed a small amount of window cleaner on the shirt then wipe down the TV

28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I cannot in good conscience recommend whipping your TV

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
    Thats for the last time you want to clean it! :whistling:

30. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Thanks for input, got something from best buy.

Last question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Anyone recommend a reputable TV repair place for my old TV? Or a mobile repair? I realize I can google some place, but if anyone has personal experience with a shop, that would better.