1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Head Coach Power Rankings: Off Season 2008

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 19, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    OK, I know it's the off season, but here's a different power ranking list. Over at realfootball365.com they put together an off season head coach power ranking. Not sure what (if anything) it means, but Norv got #16. Guess they don't believe in him. Maybe when he hoists the Lomardi after the Super Bowl they'll change their tune.

Embrace the Hate!

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    They can hate Norv all they want, I did too initially. But between last offfseason and this offseason I have converted from hate to singing the "I am your brother" song once sang by a very short and spiffy dressed asian man on American Idol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3PMy_V-A_o&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3PMy_V-A_o&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    These rankings have no legs considering they have Shanaratbastard ranked ahead of BFISA's boy

:tdown:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Embrace that **** yo.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I wouldn't call it hate but I do question this...
    What have Childress, Kubiak, and Edwards done for their team so far?

Tomlin got his team to the playoffs in his first year of coaching. He deserves to be up there.

Before last season, Norv's resume was about as impressive as Leaf's QB stats but I think it's foolish to say "this is the same ol' Norv."
    Especially after that playoff win in Ponyland!!!

7. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I think for people not following the chargers so closely, I can understand why they would still be skepitical, but for avid fans we can see he's the real deal.

Also I would be a lot more worried, if we had started out strong, and finished weak. It showed last season that once the players bought into his system the team excelled.

• Like Like x 1
  8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm sorry, but the whole concept of "Coach Power Rankings" is ****ing absurd. Probably moreso than any other position or role in the organization a coach could go from #1 to fired, or the hot-seat to #1.

Early last year they were talking about how it was probably going to be Gruden's last year in TB, now he's #7.

WTF did Tomlin do to be #4?

McCarthy had been a train wreck for the last three years... now he's ranked #3.

Norv goes from a joke to the AFC Championship Game and can't crack the top 15?

laughable

• Like Like x 1
  9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I agree with just about everything you say here except these...

Gruden is one of the best in the business today. He's got a ring and a stella resume to prove it.

Like I said "Tomlin got his team to the playoffs in his first year ever as HC."

McCarthy be a train wreck? Have you checked his resume?

I think you chose the wrong guys to use as an example!!!

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Gruden won a SB the same will Beli-cheat did. That ring is worth a pile of dog ****. And that still doesn't change the fact that he was on the hot seat the first half of last year.

Tomlin going to the playoffs does not impress. This was Norv's first chance to play with a talent laden roster... Tomlin enjoyed the same privilege.

McCarthy you're right about. It escaped me that he'd only been head coach of the pack for a couple years and in '06 they were 8-8. Not a trainwreck... but what was his coach power ranking after starting the season 4-8?

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Agree totally. :tup:

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Stop with the open and the last line and the post is fine. Coaches merely create opportunities. They don't lay a finger on the ball or face up on the field. They can be victimized or helped by too many people in the organization, those on and off the field. It appears Norval is classic case in point.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    How do you figure that? Because he coached the Retards the season before? Keep in mind that he had A LOT of success with the Retards in his early 30's. Not to mention the he still had to get the Bucs to the Super Bowl.
    Yes, it helped that he had to face his old team but how is that cheating?

So he was on the hot seat but he delivered.

So what you're saying is that "neither of them deserve any credit."

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Well he had the whole playbook and knew who Rich Gannon was going to throw to in pretty much every situation.... I guess I'll stop short of calling him a cheater...

That's not even close to what I'm saying; they should be ranked in the same ball park rather than #4 and #16.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well yeah. That's just an unlucky break for the Retards as opposed to the spygate situation.

I think it's a matter of Tomlin going into his rookie season as HC and Norv's horrible resume before last season.
    Though I do agree that #16 is still a bit low for the accomplishment Norv made. Like I said "I think there are other coaches ranked higher that Norv that would make better examples (such as Childress, Kubiak, and Edwards.)

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    No doubt... they all suck too. :yes:

17. TheBoltEater

TheBoltEater BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I think you're all missing the real question here.

If Norv finished the regular season ranked #12, then took the team to the AFC Championship game, how did he drop all the way down to #16?

18. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I guess people still feel he got lucky...:tdown:

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I wouldn't say that.
    I'd say "he's still got a ways to go before he up there with the best."

He'll certainly get his opportunity this season.
    IMO, anything less than winning the whole damn thing in 2008 is a failure!!! :yes:

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Any list that has Belichick listed as anything but a ****-sucking, philandering cheater is BS, IMO.

Norv's body of work as a HC will look much better after we win the Lombardi this year. :tup:

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    You have to be kidding me a head coaching power ranking and folks are getting bent out of shape from it? Rather we admit it or not, Norv could be ranked #1 and still fall on his face, or 32ND and bring home the trophy. Remember we still have some key players that have gone through major surgery. That can make or break a HC no matter what their sir name is. If we are even close to healthy, Norv will be blazing a trail through the NFL jungle. If our dudes aren't even close come September, it could get real ugly.

Least thats how i see it, right or wrong.